Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone here also had hopes that we'd be blown away by surprise effort. And so far, that dream has passed.

I still believe that the old saying -- Sideshow does great robots and creatures -- will remain in force. I would love for that saying to be proved wrong. These were the first human figures to have that chance. Last chance will be the officially price-hiked Luke Pilot, whose price implies improvement.

That hope has always been tempered by the question of whether they'd use the eye installations. No way the portraits could be prototype quality if they did. Since they obviously couldn't help themselves, we're reduced to hoping it turns out better than any of the good doctor's previous experiments.

I have zero in-hand experience with this new "eye installation" process... but it doesn't sound like a good idea, nor well executed.

But again, the Hoth figures have the distinct advantage of being able to legitimately cover the Drake'd faces. I won't spend $200 for a figure where I have to cover the face though.

If the paint and eye application is as good as Rex, with Han's hair (or hood) hiding the seam you see on Rex's head I will be very happy with him.

Pre-Drake'd...

review_pamv_1.jpg

Holy ****, that's epic

I think everyone here also had hopes that we'd be blown away by surprise effort. And so far, that dream has passed.

I still believe that the old saying -- Sideshow does great robots and creatures -- will remain in force. I would love for that saying to be proved wrong. These were the first human figures to have that chance. Last chance will be the officially price-hiked Luke Pilot, whose price implies improvement.

The questions why do they fail so badly at paint apps when eBay retailers selling blatant knock-offs and custom heads for $30-40 have figured out a reasonable painting method?

The questions why do they fail so badly at paint apps when eBay retailers selling blatant knock-offs and custom heads for $30-40 have figured out a reasonable painting method?

That's a good question and I've wondered that myself. Some would say its the evil Asian Empire trying to stick it to the USA. Some would say its Sideshow playing it cheap and trying to stick it to customers.

I like to think that both ideas are correct in an evil world. :)

It could have something to do with cheap labor, super low "fell of the truck" kind of overhead for the sculpts and the fact that licensing fees are nonexistent.

Also there's no expense in R&D and tooling when all they're doing is stealing someone else's work

More good points! Damn, this is an intelligent thread.

So we have:

Stealing others work is easy
No license fee
Cheap labor
Sideshow sticking to us
China sticking it to Sideshow

What else?

Han comes with "Two scarves".

I hope that wasn't a measure of Sideshow's confidence in the sculpt/paintwork.

LukeHoth_ESB.jpg

:wink1:

It could have something to do with cheap labor, super low "fell of the truck" kind of overhead for the sculpts and the fact that licensing fees are nonexistent.

Also there's no expense in R&D and tooling when all they're doing is stealing someone else's work

I will add though.. Quite a number of Headplay (and others) sculpts are not knock offs. And some of them are as good as Hot Toys quality wise.
I see no reason why SS heads are as bad as they are. It's money, they are knocking these out of a really cheap manufacturer.

Some of the paint on these things is so sloppy, hasbro 4" quality. Grievous come to mind.

Back