Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just funny - the HT ANH Han proto honestly, truly, is struggling to generate even a faint whiff of Harrison Ford likeness and yet suddenly this Hoth Han is on the SB ignore list?:dunno

It's because the Hoth Han relates to the "real" Han how the Jennifer Grey after plastic surgery relates to Jennifer Grey before surgery.
Jennifer-Grey-plastic-surgery-nose-job-gone-wrong-before-and-after.jpg
You look at the after picture and you see something there but it's not quite the same person.

It's because the Hoth Han relates to the real Han how the Jennifer Grey after plastic surgery relates to Jennifer Grey before surgery.
View attachment 165993
You look at the after picture and you see something there but it's not quite the same person.

Yeah, it seems Renee Zellweger and Uma Thurman just signed up to have HT do 1/6 versions of them. They'll nail the likeness.:lol

Wait - no one is saying the Hot Toys Ford sculpt is even remotely acceptable as a likeness. But that doesn't make THIS **** any better, and while the likeness won't be there for HT Ford the paint job will at least look good.

There is no conspiracy against Sideshow, Sideshow are just not very good at making figures.

I'm saying SB seems to have no issues displaying the HT Han proto but then (apparently...) thumbs their nose at displaying the SSC Han.

And what **** are we talking about? There aren't any pics yet.:slap:lol

Incidentally, for anyone saying that the SS R2D2 is great. In my opinion, its compete garbage as well. It looks good on display, because the sculpt and look of it is the most accurate R2 we have gotten so far. BUT.. its a cheap, flimsy pile of badly constructed plastic bits. It feels cheaper than a Happy meal toy. Bits falling off all over, plastic seams down the front of the dome, bizzare paint app choices, faulty wiring, rough plastic runner tears, and to turn the thing on you have to pull the head off, then watch the flickering lights blink on and off as the circuitry decides if its gonna work or not. Then try to get the badly fitting dollar shop plastic head back on.

Great initial sculpt, unfathomably cheap production. Speak with your wallets boys. They cannot continue to charge these prices and not improve their production quality.

He's only interested in Iron Man.

Everything else is just an opportunity to post a "first look".

If I was Budget Stark and the SB employee said that about the Han Hoth headsculpt, I would have pointed at the HT Ichabod Crane figure (currently on display there) and said... "do you think HT will do a better job on the headless horseman headsculpt?"

That's just about the finest bit of hyperbolistic horse**** I've ever smelled from you. I call melodrama.

The only horse**** in Rory's post is the subject of the post, Sideshow's R2. He's hit the nail on the head. It looks okay behind a DX07 if you can overlook the POTF2 1999 level paint job, but in hand it feels like garbage. I couldn't flip it quickly enough, because I know in the end there'll be a HT version with decent QC. In a way I admire their ambition with it - although less features more solidity might have been a better route to go - but quality wise he's right, vote with your wallets people. It feels like a ****ing Happy Meal toy like the man said. Obviously, after TEN YEARS of waiting for this major character there is an element of Stockholm syndrome in the response of collectors to it, they're just happy to have anything.

I just don't get why American collectors tolerate a company like Sideshow which seems to operate like a state controlled enterprise with quality to match.

The only horse**** in Rory's post is the subject of the post, Sideshow's R2. He's hit the nail on the head. It looks okay behind a DX07 if you can overlook the POTF2 1999 level paint job, but in hand it feels like garbage. I couldn't flip it quickly enough, because I know in the end there'll be a HT version with decent QC. In a way I admire their ambition with it - although less features more solidity might have been a better route to go - but quality wise he's right, vote with your wallets people. It feels like a ****ing Happy Meal toy like the man said. Obviously, after TEN YEARS of waiting for this major character there is an element of Stockholm syndrome in the response of collectors to it, they're just happy to have anything.

I just don't get why American collectors tolerate a company like Sideshow which seems to operate like a state controlled enterprise with quality to match.

tumblr_luvhoyK0qy1qhf777o1_500.gif

If I was Budget Stark and the SB employee said that about the Han Hoth headsculpt, I would have pointed at the HT Ichabod Crane figure (currently on display there) and said... "do you think HT will do a better job on the headless horseman headsculpt?"

Is not criticising Sideshow an American thing - is it a patriotism thing, kind of like 'they're our own, so we're going to support them, no matter what'? I'm just curious as to why they get such an easy ride.

That's just about the finest bit of hyperbolistic horse**** I've ever smelled from you. I call melodrama.

Thank you. Means a lot. Knowing what you have said to me in the past that's quite an achievement I'd say. :lol

I'd say my review was quite balanced actually. I pointed out the good: The overall look, sculpt and structure is very accurate and can look great on display and then the bad: It's production is absolute garbage. A mass of errors and bad manufacturing. Just and read 10 pages or so of the R2 thread to see the QC problems and fixes that owners are trying to deal with. At this price? Come on man.

I referenced McDonalds Happy Meal toys, I will admit i was wrong to do so. They tend to be very robust as they need to be child safe. This is much weaker.

:lol

Last edited:

It's just... this is the Han Hoth thread and the same thing was posted verbatim in the SSC R2 thread.:dunno

And "Stockholm syndrome"... "state controlled enterprise"... to me it's just a 1/6 R2D2 figure that's pretty decent for $130 (with coupon, which pretty much everyone seems to have used) and a good alternative to the Taito which IS happy meal quality and costs anywhere from $50-100 if you can find it on eBay (which is pretty rare.)

SSC made foolish, over-ambitious choices on the hatches, arms and action features, but I think frustration over that has colored people's views of it as a 1/6 figure - and it's pretty great. If HT makes a better R2, I'll probably get that, but it'll be $200 and will ship in two years time, so for now, it's a bargain.

Is not criticising Sideshow an American thing - is it a patriotism thing, kind of like 'they're our own, so we're going to support them, no matter what'? I'm just curious as to why they get such an easy ride.

I don't know the exact facts, but has something to do with group consumption of a certain beverage of an undefined fruity flavor.

Back