Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't my smug condescension, bub.

You'll have to put some more words into that sentence if you want it to make sense.

Seriously, is there any need for this? If you love Sideshow then I'm happy for you, but I am genuinely interested as to whether the whole Sideshow thing is patriotic rather than based on reason. I mean, I can relate to that if it is, although I probably couldn't keep loving a British company that consistently shafted me for decades - maybe for a few years.

It's just... this is the Han Hoth thread and the same thing was posted verbatim in the SSC R2 thread.:dunno

And "Stockholm syndrome"... "state controlled enterprise"... to me it's just a 1/6 R2D2 figure that's pretty decent for $130 (with coupon, which pretty much everyone seems to have used) and a good alternative to the Taito which IS happy meal quality and costs anywhere from $50-100 if you can find it on eBay (which is pretty rare.)

SSC made foolish, over-ambitious choices on the hatches, arms and action features, but I think frustration over that has colored people's views of it as a 1/6 figure - and it's pretty great. If HT makes a better R2, I'll probably get that, but it'll be $200 and will ship in two years time, so for now, it's a bargain.

I think the conversation went towards discussing current Sideshow output quality and the Hot Toys store, display issues etc. Someone posted that SSC "R2 came out great" as a counterpoint, which is why R2 is being mentioned. But you are right, that should have stayed in the R2 thread.

I'm no SSC hater, I was pretty vocal in my positivity towards the Probe Droid and the last Vader. But then Drake happened. I have Solo pre-ordered (Blue coat) and I'm gonna keep that order, I think. The most expensive custom bash outfit I ever purchased.

Is not criticising Sideshow an American thing - is it a patriotism thing, kind of like 'they're our own, so we're going to support them, no matter what'? I'm just curious as to why they get such an easy ride.

You're still not following - what I'm saying is why would SB refuse to display the SSC Han Hoth based on the headsculpt when they're displaying other HT figures that have headsculpts with mediocre to poor likeness?

And who gives a **** about where a company is based? I just look at the product. I have no HT or SSC bias - I praise or lambast based on their products, not who made it and where.

I think the conversation went towards discussing current Sideshow output quality and the Hot Toys store, display issues etc. Someone posted that SSC "R2 came out great" as a counterpoint, which is why R2 is being mentioned. But you are right, that should have stayed in the R2 thread.

I'm no SSC hater, I was pretty vocal in my positivity towards the Probe Droid and the last Vader. But then Drake happened.

I think it's now known as Drake'd.:lol

...what I'm saying is why would SB refuse to display the SSC Han Hoth based on the headsculpt when they're displaying other HT figures that have headsculpts with mediocre to poor likeness?

:exactly:

TaliBane said:
And who gives a **** about where a company is based? I just look at the product. I have no HT or SSC bias - I praise or lambast based on their products, not who made it and where.

:goodpost:

You're still not following - what I'm saying is why would SB refuse to display the SSC Han Hoth based on the headsculpt when they're displaying other HT figures that have headsculpts with mediocre to poor likeness?

You're not following me! I'm guessing that SB haven't displayed the Han because the head's finish is so poor, not because of the likeness, which seems acceptable. Sure HT have plenty of poor likenesses that SB will display, but the finish is generally good, with the exception that skin tones are sometimes too dark.

As for where it's made, I'm exactly the same, I just wondered if this was a factor for other people.

You're not following me! I'm guessing that SB haven't displayed the Han because the head's finish is so poor, not because of the likeness, which seems acceptable. Sure HT have plenty of poor likenesses that SB will display, but the finish is generally good, with the exception that skin tones are sometimes too dark.

It's a Hot Toys store. So why miss the opportunity show off a crappy item by another company in order to make your own items look more impressive?

You'll have to put some more words into that sentence if you want it to make sense.

Sorry if my expectations that you could draw the correct inference were overly ambitious.

Seriously, is there any need for this? If you love Sideshow then I'm happy for you, but I am genuinely interested as to whether the whole Sideshow thing is patriotic rather than based on reason. I mean, I can relate to that if it is, although I probably couldn't keep loving a British company that consistently shafted me for decades - maybe for a few years.

Doesn't sound like a serious query. Why would it have anything to do with nationalism? Has someone implied that it does?

Here ya go.
I edited out the real name from the post.

d3e63f9a948a0aff165525a313c900c6.jpg

As for where it's made, I'm exactly the same, I just wondered if this was a factor for other people.

Re-read for clarity.:lecture

Sorry if my expectations that you could draw the correct inference were overly ambitious.

Doesn't sound like a serious query. Why would it have anything to do with nationalism? Has someone implied that it does?

I'm just asking the question, just wondering if this is a 'buy american' thing. If it isn't then it isn't. Why, are we not even allowed to talk about Sideshow anymore?

I do think we need to distinguish the difference between *likeness* and *quality*.

HT may not always get their sculpts perfect, but they have never produced a mangled mess like Drake.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Having been the SB I can say they have two SS Star Wars displays - Tatooine and Jabba's Palace. Those are large displays and a Hoth Han would not fit into either of those themes. They would need to put him in one of the smaller cases of which there aren't many and they use those for their Hot Toy's upcoming figure displays. It's not a conspiracy but a choice to display Hot Toys product (it is the Hot Toys shop after all) instead. They don't even have their own ANH Han and Chewie or their own Stormtroopers on display.

Re-read for clarity.:lecture

quote, 'especially the eyes look a bit off' which sounds like a painting issue. But okay, they don't like the Headsculpt, which is a bit rich from Secret Base given Han looks like about a million people, not one of whom is Harrison Ford. Then again, they just don't like it, and who can blame them?

If Han turns up and looks amazing I'll be the first to eat my words, not least because I'll want one myself. But so far it doesn't look good.

I'm just asking the question, just wondering if this is a 'buy american' thing. If it isn't then it isn't. Why, are we not even allowed to talk about Sideshow anymore?

It is in fact a 'buy Chinese' thing is it not? Maybe I'm too simple-minded, but I understand 'buy american' to infer it is manufactured in the USA.

I do think we need to distinguish the difference between *likeness* and *quality*.

HT may not always get their sculpts perfect, but they have never produced a mangled mess like Drake.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I didn't think my question would offend people, I was just curious.

quote, 'especially the eyes look a bit off' which sounds like a painting issue. But okay, they don't like the Headsculpt, which is a bit rich from Secret Base given Han looks like about a million people, not one of whom is Harrison Ford. Then again, they just don't like it, and who can blame them?

And therein lies the heart of the matter. The opinion Budget Stark posted was that of a Hot Toys employee, in a store that momaw just confirmed does not even display their own upcoming Han Solo.

It is in fact a 'buy Chinese' thing is it not? Maybe I'm too simple-minded, but I understand 'buy american' to infer it is manufactured in the USA.

By an American company. But look, I'm clearly wrong about this and there must be some other reason why people buy Sideshow products.

Back