Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did Sideshow go to "real" eyes again? It doesn't make much sense considering the eyes don't move.
They've been using this for the last several releases.

I just don't think I can get over this blue vs. brown thing.
That's understandable Boba. Those guys who like the brown coat. . .they all have shifty eyes. Can't trust 'em.

Why did Sideshow go to "real" eyes again? It doesn't make much sense considering the eyes don't move.

I'm guessing here, but they probably thought it was an affordable way to make the sculpts more sophisticated. HT relies on high tech processes and extreme skill & time, which costs money, they have built up a system of paint and transfer work that is top notch.

SS eyes have never been great, so I guess they went for an option which seemed to be an answer to their problems and wasn't particularly skilled. An affordable way to get eyes would be perceived as high end. It backfired because the factories they have producing the figures just aren't good enough.

Man the lack of eyelids just kills the otherwise amazing sculpt. KILLS it. :(

I don't think it kills it, exactly. It's still a believable enough expression and looks realistic enough to me from most angles-- the problem is just that it's an expression of wide-eyed surprise or shock and not the kind of cool, badass expression you want a 1/6 Han Solo to have.

Anyone want to see pics of Han with just the Bespin jacket on? I know I don't have the sculpt without the head gear but, ya know, just for the hell of it?

To have the head as the exclusive was stupid to begin with, and then having the jacket underneath even on the non-exclusive is just adding salt to the wounds. :slap

Do you think moving the eyes up would help the sculpt? I dont have photshop but can some try that. Make a pic with the eyes a little upwards.
9A60F449-AA4A-4126-B224-8A26D7693E40_zpsns1nuocq.jpg

I didn't think for a second that would ever happen on a production piece. It's just a logistic, international and cultural nightmare to go with real animal fur. They should never have used it on the prototype to help temper expectations and they could have used more/better material on the production piece.

You don't think it's a logistical nightmare to source Phil Spector's hair for thousands of figures?
But yeah, they should have used better/more material. Looks cheap and like there's not enough of it. It's like the old Woody Allen joke. The food was really terrible, and the portions were so small.
If they'd used that material on the original it's possible complaints would have been made and they might have upgraded. Instead they used something that looked perfect, no one says peep, and then this.
Obviously it's not the biggest deal in the world, but it went from being an amazing jacket to an okay jacket.

It's just funny to me that now that SSC is taking photos of the final product, people are still haranguing them about it. You folks will just never be happy. It's no wonder SSC doesn't give these complainers any credence. They'll never stop.

Right?

broken record.gif

Nice job, Lopie! Not bad, but I can imagine it would be a real bear to open the head up and shift the eyes. Not for the faint of heart.

I'm disappointed Sideshow was not able to work out the kinks with the eyes (or just abandon the process) before the Hoth figures hit, but I'm keeping my order. I cashed in all my reward points and am just paying for shipping, so it's pretty much free for me.

I too am thinking this will be the last human I get from Sideshow. I'm damn close to having pretty much every figure I would have wanted for my collection anyway. It's just such a shame they were not able to get Han (and most likely Luke) right. I really wonder how the X-Wing Luke is going to turn out. Will they abandon the eye thing by then?

I'm still looking forward to getting him. It looks like it will need a good amount of futzing. It'll live with the hood up and looking downward.

Back