Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... no...

scanners-explosion-o.gif

Nice pics Para, I'm afraid he still looks like a crazy Eskimo killer to me. I find something very creey about that face. Seriously, it actually creeps me out.
It's like a wax cadaver with inserted glass eyeballs.

Thanks for all the great shots, para. Really appreciate it :clap

75% great figure, unfortunately the 25% that is bad is essential to making the overall piece acceptable or not. So somehow a figure that is more good then bad just ends up being mediocre for me and ultimately a pass.

Typical of Sideshow.

It was going well until the penultimate photo, para.

He suddenly looked like he'd been goosed. :horror

In the last one you can see again that there's detail in the skin.

If Sideshow released Bespin Han once more, they could make the welding goggles an exclusive in order to dominate the market.

1886206btmwelding.jpg

I definitely see ford in that sculpt but unfortunately those derpy eyes throw that off too much. I suppose some clever modder like rory could open the head up, remove the pers eyes and put normal accurate ford eyes in there somehow :dunno

If they could have given him some expression in the eyes rather than a stare, that would have made this a total winner. It really is the only thing that lets this release down. Shame that so many will end up passing because of it.

At least we can imagine now how the SSC Indy sculpt will look like once the eyes are inserted :lol

wllzvnrozph5v897wcav.jpg

Shame that so many will end up passing because of it.
For the sake of future releases, I hope its an astronomical amount of passes. If Sideshow has a warehouse packed full of Han's maybe they would rethink this separate eye non-sense.

Problem is most probably won't pass because a better Hoth Han will likely never get made and even if they did, it's still Sideshow and have they ever really learned from a mistake? They seem somewhat immune to proper growth :dunno

Meh, onto making more custom Joes :lol

Taking an aside for the moment and not talking about this figure's production traits, Sideshow is demonstrating a very significant failure here on another front, letting a customer provide the first images of a final product. That's some serious lack of control, both in marketing and supply chain management. If I were a higher up at Sideshow I'd be livid right now.

They'll no doubt still sell out of this product eventually, but their reputation is getting hammered on a continual basis and it's as if they're helping to hold the nails.

Great post. Unless it's a photographer like OMG, why the f..k aren't Sideshow doing their own awesome pics first?

Sorry but this figure doesn't wow me. It's great, but awesome, no. That weird blank stare on the face sculpt? The hatless sculpt looks alright.

Last edited:
I can see Han here.

Lobotomised, taxidermied Han. But yeah there is Han in there for sure.

....Sideshow is demonstrating a very significant failure here on another front, letting a customer provide the first images of a final product. That's some serious lack of control, both in marketing and supply chain management. If I were a higher up at Sideshow I'd be livid right now...
.....Unless it's a photographer like OMG, why the f..k aren't Sideshow doing their own awesome pics first?

No, it's quite deliberate, because they know it's not good enough? Why add fuel to the inevitable fire early?

Film companies do it all the time with stinkers. No previews. Catch some more pre-orders, avoid as many cancellations as possible. I'm sure Sideshow held back as long as possible with the heavily photoshopped pics they did release, wouldn't surprise me if they asked Secret Base not to display this until they were nearly ready to ship.

Last edited:
Nice pics Para, I'm afraid he still looks like a crazy Eskimo killer to me. I find something very creey about that face. Seriously, it actually creeps me out.
It's like a wax cadaver with inserted glass eyeballs.

Given that the unhatted head looks better even with the same glass eyes process, and retains the sculpted depression below the eyes, it must have been an issue with the gluing of the wrap-around hat that's produced this weird distortion in the upper face.

It's such a bummer that the unhatted head is an EX - there won't be any closer pics of it for a while. It's a pity SSC chose not to take anything resembling a close-up on either head.

Also, the blaster looks a little undersized in the SSC pics, so the gloves must be oversized like the Snowtrooper's oven mitts.

We haven't seen the unhelmeted sculpt yet. Those Sideshow pics are photoshopped. Fingers crossed, but is see no reason why it would be any better.

Back