Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to go blue. I dont care what the movie was, I just remember the toy as a kid and really that's where all my collecting comes from anyway.

The funny thing is, this figure on the tauntaun with all its details is what I think I saw as a kid. Looking at the toys today its a little startling how simple they are. Its not how I remember them.

Love this hobby.

if you look at the 6 inch black series han hoth it`s also supporting the blue coat version funny. I hardly ever see any brown coat versions on any of the hasbro action figures

I've grown to appreciate the brown, but I'm still holding out for the blue. It's always been blue in my mind.
And I love Mark's pictures too. It is actually the first 1/6 figure I'ver seen which really looks like Ford. From the nose down that is. Display wise this will rock though especially under detolf lights as Mark has shown.

Had to go blue. I dont care what the movie was, I just remember the toy as a kid and really that's where all my collecting comes from anyway.

The funny thing is, this figure on the tauntaun with all its details is what I think I saw as a kid. Looking at the toys today its a little startling how simple they are. Its not how I remember them.

Love this hobby.

Yea man. I remember spending what now seems like hours studying every minute detail of my Joe's, SW figs, Transformers, etc. They aren't quite has intricate as I once thought they were :lol

Now we're grown and became horribly spoiled by high end 1/6

I'm sorry to say I had to cancel both Han and Luke for lack of funds.
These pics look great, I'm sure they will look amazing together on the shelf.

Sorry to hear that, abake. Hopefully you'll be able to get them later on. Or if you wait long enough, you may end up with HT versions!

Love this hobby.

Great post! That's exactly how I feel about these high end figures. As a kid, I perceived my toys as super detailed and accurate, and as an adult these figures really recapture that wonder and fun.

Wow, how did Stoya get in this thread?

What kind of question is that? Since this is a HOTH thread, you should be asking why she wasn't brought up sooner, what with her snow-white complexion. Frankly, I can't think of a thread Stoya can't elevate.

Growing up in the '90s, I looked at the vintage toys as mostly crappy once the PotF2 figures came out. Say what you will about the macho chest and silly wide stances, but the level of accuracy and detailing on those is about 100x better than the vintage line. Please don't think I'm bashing the vintage line. I love the vintage line. Bored out of my mind being dragged through antique stores as a kid, I'd often wander off to whatever booths had Star Wars figures in them. It was that line that exposed me to Star Wars in the first place and made me want to watch it on cable one day. I have about 20-30 beater vintage figures I played with before the PotF2 line came out. After that line started, I didn't bother getting more vintage figures. Part of me wants to start collecting loose figures from that line but I always talk myself out of it. Too much Hasbro crap in boxes from when I was kid. I might as well display what I have instead of buying more stuff.

...The funny thing is, this figure on the tauntaun with all its details is what I think I saw as a kid. Looking at the toys today its a little startling how simple they are. Its not how I remember them.

Love this hobby.
I remember imagining what it could be and being a little disappointed with what I had in-hand (not that it ruined my enjoyment or imagination... just I craved more detail). Now I'd say the figures have finally caught-up or surpassed anything I could've hoped for back then. I'm lucky too that it came during a part of my life where I can actually afford the must-haves. Very cool time to be in the hobby, as you say, Robbie.

Growing up in the '90s, I looked at the vintage toys as mostly crappy once the PotF2 figures came out. Say what you will about the macho chest and silly wide stances, but the level of accuracy and detailing on those is about 100x better than the vintage line. Please don't think I'm bashing the vintage line. I love the vintage line. Bored out of my mind being dragged through antique stores as a kid, I'd often wander off to whatever booths had Star Wars figures in them. It was that line that exposed me to Star Wars in the first place and made me want to watch it on cable one day. I have about 20-30 beater vintage figures I played with before the PotF2 line came out. After that line started, I didn't bother getting more vintage figures. Part of me wants to start collecting loose figures from that line but I always talk myself out of it. Too much Hasbro crap in boxes from when I was kid. I might as well display what I have instead of buying more stuff.

Well back in the 80s, there was no expectation that toys or action figures even COULD look as detailed or super realistic as what we see now. So that made it a whole lot easier to just be happy with what we had. And I honestly don't even remember being bothered by the lack of detail or accuracy on my toys. That was just the way they were supposed to look, as far as I knew.

And if a very basic, poorly detailed Hoth Han from Kenner was the only Hoth Han we could ever have, then fine, we'd take it. :D

GI Joe in the early 80's always had more articulation than SW figures, some people might argue even more detail, but I grew up with Little People and Adventure People, so I didn't mind the straight arms and legs on the Kenner SW line and appreciated their robustness, letting my imagination fill in the rest of the picture as Luke and Han got crushed in the compactor or as the Snowspeeder zoomed around my room. I can even still remember the day that the Hoth Survival gear I sent away for arrived in the mail. Ahh, good times.

Well back in the 80s, there was no expectation that toys or action figures even COULD look as detailed or super realistic as what we see now. So that made it a whole lot easier to just be happy with what we had. And I honestly don't even remember being bothered by the lack of detail or accuracy on my toys. That was just the way they were supposed to look, as far as I knew.

And if a very basic, poorly detailed Hoth Han from Kenner was the only Hoth Han we could ever have, then fine, we'd take it. :D
They didn't cost 220$ back in the 80's though, I wonder what would be now accounting for inflation etc.
My god I used to love those coupon send away things. The survival gear, the emperor, boba and the display bases. I still have some if them in their original boxes. Star Wars heaven.

They didn't cost 220$ back in the 80's though

And many of us also didn't have to pay for stuff with our own money. If you factor in only collectibility and current market demand, some of those original Kenner figures make most of today's 1/6 seem like they cost chump-change. At least if they're MIMB or MOC.

And I honestly don't even remember being bothered by the lack of detail or accuracy on my toys. That was just the way they were supposed to look, as far as I knew.

I obviously didn't mind the lack of detail on the vintage figures either until the PotF2 figures came out. In addition to their better detailing and accuracy, I liked that they didn't all stand in a rigid straight armed and legged fashion. Once I had that, there was no going back. I suppose that's the way it is with SSC and now HT figures being released. Show of hands, who collected the Hasbro 12" figures? And who still has them proudly on display? Exactly.

Yes, I know Pixelpiper has a rather awesome "then and now" collection with the vintage Kenner dolls and the Hasbro Collector Series. I also never got into the high end Star Wars lines and also proudly display my stuff from Hasblow. Childhood memories > super accurate detailing for extraordinary prices.

Back