Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks terrible. If that's an accurate representation of the figure I'm going to have to cancel. I wasn't terribly impressed with the sculpt with the headgear but it seems like it was hiding some of the flaws of the regular head. It's a shame because the outfit and accessories look good but if the head isn't the figure isn't worth buying.

You'd think for a review copy Sideshow would at least send one of the better examples they have.... unless this really is as good as the figure gets, which I desperately hope isn't the case.

I just can't imagine the figure will look this poor in hand. This must be 'the worst case' example.
Even still if that's close to what it'll look like I don't see how it can be a lot better. It isn't just the eyes to me. The hair looks weird and the face looks like it's poofy in the cheeks and mouth area to me. Also the fur on the hood of the jacket looks pretty bad.

Sideshow's heads *have* improved, but not to the extent you'd expect for the price. If HT and threezero can do it (and in the latter case cheaper), why can't SS?
That looks terrible. If that's an accurate representation of the figure I'm going to have to cancel. I wasn't terribly impressed with the sculpt with the headgear but it seems like it was hiding some of the flaws of the regular head. It's a shame because the outfit and accessories look good but if the head isn't the figure isn't worth buying.
I'm really happy I cancelled Han, Luke and the Tauntaun 6 months ago. I did so b/c of space and focus, but I was also worried about the final product. This stuff can look awesome on display (as shown by some of the great photos in this thread) but at the same time, for the aggregate of $750 US ($900 CAD), no way. No chance in hell I'll pay close to a grand for a googly eyed Solo and Luke (and as you mention, Mike, it's only the most obvious of several problems with the sculpts and costume... those gloves, for example...). SSC is sort of out of their minds b/c it doesn't seem that there is any relation to price/quality. I fully expect X-Wing Luke to use the same idiotic 3-piece sculpt despite the $240.00 US price tag. Big trouble ahead for these guys if they don't right their ship.

There has to be some major lens distortion going on in those awful review pictures, unless, of course, Sideshow was telling porky pies when they presented these photos of the hatless sculpt:

Sideshow said:
Hoth Han Solo Sixth Scale Figure Final Production Galleries

21341_press01.jpg

21342_press08.jpg

Honestly the regular was more important to me than the one with the hat and it's just killing me.

The tear duct area of the right eye is lower and recessed on the right eye, making him look like a stroke victim or something. Lens distortion isn't doing that - it's the way they drilled the eye holes.

I am seriously considering switching to the Hot Toys Han Solo

I'm really happy I cancelled Han, Luke and the Tauntaun 6 months ago. I did so b/c of space and focus, but I was also worried about the final product. This stuff can look awesome on display (as shown by some of the great photos in this thread) but at the same time, for the aggregate of $750 US ($900 CAD), no way. No chance in hell I'll pay close to a grand for a googly eyed Solo and Luke (and as you mention, Mike, it's only the most obvious of several problems with the sculpts and costume... those gloves, for example...). SSC is sort of out of their minds b/c it doesn't seem that there is any relation to price/quality. I fully expect X-Wing Luke to use the same idiotic 3-piece sculpt despite the $240.00 US price tag. Big trouble ahead for these guys if they don't right their ship.

The gloves do indeed look strange. Not sure why it was done in that way, and why the gauntlet comes right to the knuckles when it should be up toward the wrist. Paramore said it was the coat pushing the gauntlet down, but it doesn't looks like you can adjust it without a visible gap.

I'm still getting this figure - even just getting a custom blue Hoth coat made was going to be really expensive, so for me this is still worth it.

Yes, that's true. If Hoth Han were a must-have, as opposed to "nice to have if I have both the spare money and space", then yep, viewed through the custom lens, it's more than reasonable. I've bought a couple customs now, and while I love them (and think the price was fair, given the artistry and run size), I find they do distort my perspective on value a bit in situations just like this.

Couple of comps to SSC pics - not sure why these images are coming in so small and at different sizes.

hancomp1-XL.png

hancomp2-XL.png

That's not the same sculpt. Different eyebrows, nostrils, mouth, overall shape of the face...

All of it is a colossal step down from what was shown before.

Couple of comps to SSC pics - not sure why these images are coming in so small and at different sizes.

Noticed that Sideshow has updated the brown and blue Han pages with the photos from the production gallery. But both pages still state 'Prototype Shown'.

So it's not certain whether the big shiny-nosed Han is their proto or production figure.

Regardless, those review photos look to be elongated in camera. Squash his head back together and those eyes aren't going to be so big. :pray:

Well there were some shots the guy took, like this one, where the face looks much more square like it should:

fff.JPG

Unfortunately everything he took of the exclusive head was taken way too close and is badly distorted as a result.

From Joey Paur

Well there were some shots the guy took, like this one, where the face looks much more square like it should:

Unfortunately everything he took of the exclusive head was taken way too close and is badly distorted as a result.

Let's just say they are very "paur" photos.:lol

The problem is that so many people pull out the phone for pics these days and they just aren't great for fig pics like this.

Even with lens distortion those EX head sculpt pics are worse than any Snake pics I have seen. While that head is a lot better in hand, it's not as good as Rex and I was hoping this would be better than Rex. Looks like I will likely be using the reg head looking down, maybe that fantastic scanner pose.

Cancelled, blue doesn't look great either. Will order brown from HK dye it myself and replace with another sculpt. Thanks SS.

Chunky hair, weird eyes. This is miles off the current standard in 1/6th. I can't even buy it and put HT Han head on it.

I ordered Blue and Brown versions I wanted it so much.

Back