Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the blue camp (for mainly nostalgic reasons), but if I may play devil's advocate, if the coat appears brown at any stage in the movie (as apparently it does), one could justify making it brown, with the blue hue attributable to the peculiar meteorological, atmospheric and light conditions of the planet.

Or brown for Echo Base and blue for Hoth exterior!

Don't know how SS will replicate that subtle effect, or even if they'll try! They might simply do a Bib Fortuna or Snowtrooper type Exclusive and make it Kenner blue. Still, the contrast will be nice.

On Friday I sent a polite attempt to open a dialogue with Sideshow about this issue. They need to match the miniature blue which reflects the outdoors appearance as seen in the shot devil posted.

The way they handled the release, i am pretty sure they consider the blue jacket some kitschy nod to Kenner, rather than a legitimate alternative from the film itself. The miniature proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the blue colour in outdoor scenes is intentional.

Yes, the way they introduced this colour division certainly looks at the moment like they're hedging their bets, and don't know which way to jump. And released several 'shopped pictures displaying varying shades. Without direct light on them they look similar to the photo above; but when there's light the blue starts to pop.

I brought up the issue of whether they had really gauged fan interests in my message to SSC and pointed them to the pre-sale poll here (over 100 votes, with blue winning).

This is clearly a very even divide. I would guess it diverges at most 60/40 one way or another. I think people who wan a screen, rather than Kenner-accurate blue should write Sideshow to make sure they understand our expectations.

I wish we had more pics of the hatless sculpt. From what I can tell, it has the potential to be the best Harrison Ford sculpt yet...which isn't really saying much.
Its not bad, something bout it bugs me tho. It's light years ahead of the original Bespin sculpt :rotfl
The sculpt with the hat is the most impressive.

Brilliant find.

Someone mockingly asked as if Han should be red when this was first shown. I ignored them, but admittedly had no idea why it was red, since obviously it was not red when filmed. The fact it was a basis for a latex body explains everything.

Not sure why Han would be the only one or few in hoth having anything blue lol. Hardly anyone on hoth wore blue.

Han was seen walking around echo base in his blue jacket he wore throughout the rest of the film. Why is it such a leap that he would have a matching parka?

Its not bad, something bout it bugs me tho. It's light years ahead of the original Bespin sculpt :rotfl
The sculpt with the hat is the most impressive.

I thought the hatless and hat sculpts were the same except for the presence or absence of hair? Maybe I need to look at the gallery again.

images

I think some people on here have way too much time on their hands :lol

On sunday I luckily have time for both. And football too... :rotfl

Because he's Han ******ing Solo.

Three snaps in a 'Z'.

Seriously ask Greedo's smouldering corpse why Han does ****.

:lol Awesome f'ing answer :rock

It's going to be the same with a lot of releases. Whatever they do will upset somebody as everyone's expectations and wishes differ.

There may be some who actually want Kenner blue out of nostalgia for the toys themselves.

This

Hoth Han was awesome and one of my favorite figures. Yeah, screen blah blah blah, I watched ESB for a couple hours, we played Star Wars for hours daily. My memory is much more important to me than someone screencapping to make their decisions. Theres no force swaying what I like, guess I'm a Toydarian, like Watto, those jedi mind tricks don't work on me. :lol
Hoth toys overall were very important and very sentimental to me, thats why I appreciated them doing the nod with the Snowtrooper rifle.

I thought the hatless and hat sculpts were the same except for the presence or absence of hair? Maybe I need to look at the gallery again.
Maybe it's the lighting on the hatless sculpt pics, it looks different...you might be right.

This

Hoth Han was awesome and one of my favorite figures. Yeah, screen blah blah blah, I watched ESB for a couple hours, we played Star Wars for hours daily. My memory is much more important to me than someone screencapping to make their decisions. Theres no force swaying what I like, guess I'm a Toydarian, like Watto, those jedi mind tricks don't work on me. :lol
Hoth toys overall were very important and very sentimental to me, thats why I appreciated them doing the nod with the Snowtrooper rifle.

Well said.

This is the reason many of us probably still buy toys and refuse to grow up! :lol

Two coats aren't going to be enough to keep the pitchforks and flaming torches from the gates of Castle Sideshow!

I'm ordering the brown coat and sticking with it. Not gonna nit pick over it. I'm sold on the head sculpt, I think someone finally got it right. Beats their previous attempts, HT and Medicom.

Anyone else think a Bespin Han accessory set would be a great bonus for this figure? You know, update the original with a superior makeover.

Has anyone that actually worked on the movie caught wind of the color controversy and commented on it?

I don't think there's any real controversy as far as props go, but it would be great to hear from anyone who was involved at the time.

Harrison - brown coat.

Miniature - blue coat.

What happened next looks to be down to filters and lighting.

Sideshow has three choices for the shade of blue:

1) Replicate the miniature blue coat

2) Replicate the brown coat as seen through blue filters or under blue lighting

3) Replicate the original Kenner figure

Where any controversy might lie is in the original cinema release before any digital colour correction was done.

Here's another Jedi Defender thread: https://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=20731.0

hothhan%20esb.jpg

They seemed to be at war with a pro-blue Rebel Scum.

Back