Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Their thread isn't nearly as sophisticated as ours. They actually consider it settled. :lol

Sideshow Freaks: the last of the hold outs.

For those who never surrendered.

600px-TOJWColtWalker-9.jpg

:lol

Either Kenner made a figure of the miniature stop motion figure, or Kenner made the mistake macthing the 1:1 coat color. Either way if it wasn't for Kenner, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I blame them, not SS. If someone from Kenner can comment so we can move along, that'd be grea, but don't think it'll happen.

Has anyone that actually worked on the movie caught wind of the color controversy and commented on it?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Yes, if Read a few pages back, a member Hollywood talked to producer Gary Kurtz, and Kurtz said it was brown.

:lol Awesome f'ing answer :rock

This

Hoth Han was awesome and one of my favorite figures. Yeah, screen blah blah blah, I watched ESB for a couple hours, we played Star Wars for hours daily. My memory is much more important to me than someone screencapping to make their decisions. Theres no force swaying what I like, guess I'm a Toydarian, like Watto, those jedi mind tricks don't work on me. :lol
Hoth toys overall were very important and very sentimental to me, thats why I appreciated them doing the nod with the Snowtrooper rifle.
if this be the case, we could bribe you to see things our way then :lol

I wish we had more pics of the hatless sculpt. From what I can tell, it has the potential to be the best Harrison Ford sculpt yet...which isn't really saying much.

A quick look at the gallery on Trevor Groves deviant art page will show that the sculpt is perfect, Groves ability to sculpt HF shouldn't be brought into question, all his ford sculpts have been great, they may be getting better as he does more but IMO he's always been good.

Either Kenner made a figure of the miniature stop motion figure, or Kenner made the mistake macthing the 1:1 coat color. Either way if it wasn't for Kenner, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I blame them, not SS. If someone from Kenner can comment so we can move along, that'd be grea, but don't think it'll happen.

This debate has primarily been about people in the "brown camp" telling us again and again they that they and they alone are correct. That Jedi Defender thread is more of the same right-and-wrong mentality. It is not enough for you to choose brown, blue must actively be wrong or a tolerable quirk (that you generously "blame" on Kenner) at best.

There are two right answers as there are two screen-accurate colours, both of which have hard, extant evidence. Both Kenner and Marvel Comics elected the blue depiction at the time. That is three separate groups of professional artists at the time using blue, but fan-boys like that "scott" at Jedi Defender or pixel piper here, simply know better because...brown coat.

If people want this debate to end, quit knocking the choice of blue constantly and people like me will not have to defend it.

I was looking for pictures of details on the goggles and rank badge and accidentally found this.

han-hoth-jacket-han-solo-coat-1.jpg-256613d1384803304

Since the debate refuses to die. This looks like a color corrected shot to me. The left (blue) is what was seen on screen and the right (brown) is a color corrected copy to remove the effects of lighting and what not revealing the brown prop jacket.

The question is do you want your figure to reflect what is seen on the screen or what the original prop looked like before movie manipulation?

I think both these shots are color corrected...one is too blue and one is too brown. But if you look at these screen grabs:
probe_zps99a9b78c.jpg

the brown one is surely closer.
As I said before these are caps from the 1993 laserdisc version of the OT, which was virtually unaltered from original release.

This debate has primarily been about people in the "brown camp" telling us again and again they that they and they alone are correct. That Jedi Defender thread is more of the same right-and-wrong mentality. It is not enough for you to choose brown, blue must actively be wrong or a tolerable quirk (that you generously "blame" on Kenner) at best.

There are two right answers as there are two screen-accurate colours, both of which have hard, extant evidence. Both Kenner and Marvel Comics elected the blue depiction at the time. That is three separate groups of professional artists at the time using blue, but fan-boys like that "scott" at Jedi Defender or pixel piper here, simply know better because...brown coat.

If people want this debate to end, quit knocking the choice of blue constantly and people like me will not have to defend it.

Im in the camp that "Both" are correct. there is nothing wrong with either choice. Its just your personal preference. No one can deny the jacket is Brown, and no one can deny that it looks blue, it appears as both colors during different scenes. Its just whatever you prefer. I personally like the brown, because thats its natural state, but blue is just as good because it definitely looks blue.

A quick look at the gallery on Trevor Groves deviant art page will show that the sculpt is perfect, Groves ability to sculpt HF shouldn't be brought into question, all his ford sculpts have been great, they may be getting better as he does more but IMO he's always been good.

He's a master artist, but Sideshow hasn't always done his work justice.

This seems to be a sculpt from 2008. I couldn't find the new hatless one.

Sideshow_Han_Solo_portrait_by_trev_solo.jpg

Trevor Grove said:
Harrison Ford is without a doubt the very hardest likeness to try to sculpt. He's incredibly recognizable, of course, but you might be shocked at how hard it is to make him look remotely like Ford. He's tough but he's also a great subject...because, I mean...come on, he's Harrison Ford. I wanted to be Han Solo and Indiana Jones when I was 10, like every other kid.

https://trevorgrove.deviantart.com/gallery/

Going through his gallery I noticed he was responsible for Sideshow's Lando, which I think is still a great looking figure.

Yeah, that's Smuggler Han. I think new sculpts are better but the molding tecnique is even more important...I repainted ATOC Obi-Wan recently, and the quality of details and texture is not in the same league of Sideshow early stuff.

Im in the camp that "Both" are correct. there is nothing wrong with either choice. Its just your personal preference. No one can deny the jacket is Brown, and no one can deny that it looks blue, it appears as both colors during different scenes. Its just whatever you prefer. I personally like the brown, because thats its natural state, but blue is just as good because it definitely looks blue.

And yet so many people do! :wink1:

well if people can't accept its a Brown jacket, but it looks blue because of the lighting in certain scenes, then really no need to talk about it anymore. Just do what you want, buy what you like, and end this conversation....As Han said:

"This is a boring conversation anyway" :lol

starwars_pdvd_965.jpg

Yes, if Read a few pages back, a member Hollywood talked to producer Gary Kurtz, and Kurtz said it was brown.

That is correct.

A member here had wondered why there was no statement from The Lucas camp or Kenner regarding the controversy.....well technically they did.

On the display featuring the screen used coat from Celebration there is not only a plaque discussing the argument of blue vs brown, it is also illustrated it with the figures as examples. (If someone who has a close up of the plaque and wouldn't mind posting).

So to answer.....yes Kenner, LFL are both aware of the decades long debate and have done what they could to set the "record" straight as they see it.

Many vintage toy collectors know that Kenner had a habit of creating their own colors that didn't always ring true to the actual item. Kenner did not use the filming miniature as their basis. Kenner was either told to do it in blue by LFL licensing at that time, or the simply chose what they thought the color was based on the film stills they were provided.

In either case it was a simple mistake that has no relevance in the real world, and should simply be treated as it is......a curiosity....IMO.

Hope this helps.

That is correct.

A member here had wondered why there was no statement from Lucas a Films or Kenner regarding the controversy.....well LFL did. On the display featuring the screen used coat there is not only a plaque discussing the argument of blue vs brown, but they soldo illustrate it with the figures as examples.

So to answer.....yes Kenner, LFL are both aware of the decades long debate and have done what they could to set the "record" straight as they see it.

Hope this helps.

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view

I have irrefutable evidence to solve the controversy. During filming of ESB, Harrison Ford went to the local laundromat (in the frozen wastes of Norway) and made the mistake of washing the brown parka in the same machine with some of Carrie Fisher's blue panties.

nmq9.jpg

Last edited:
Back