Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im in the camp that "Both" are correct. there is nothing wrong with either choice. Its just your personal preference. No one can deny the jacket is Brown, and no one can deny that it looks blue, it appears as both colors during different scenes. Its just whatever you prefer. I personally like the brown, because thats its natural state, but blue is just as good because it definitely looks blue.

:goodpost:

I agree. Nothing wrong with either choice.

Like you said, it all comes down to personal preference. All the debating/arguing is silly and pointless, IMO.

So you know how some religious people think the fossil record was planted by Satan to test one's faith. Perhaps the brown coat is a test of one's righteousness as a Star Wars fans.

It shows up mysteriously at about the same time Greedo starts shooting first. Coincidence? I think not. :devil

Oh jeez, still with the brown vs. blue debate? Can't we all just agree to disagree?

I PO'd the blue version, don't really care what color the prop was, it always looked blue to me on film...that's what matters to me. Brown has always looked wrong to me. It's kind of like Vader's mask, with the alternating gray/black thing. It didn't really appear that way on film, but the prop is painted that way. People complain about that on the ANH Vader figure, while others applaud SS for being true to the prop. I say, whatever floats your boat, at least this time we have a choice.

I recently saw the movie again the other night and it looked brown to me when he was outside. It looked blue in one scene when he was inside the Hoth Base.

Yes, if Read a few pages back, a member Hollywood talked to producer Gary Kurtz, and Kurtz said it was brown.

As much of a luminary as Kurtz is, we don't need his say-so that it was brown. I think we all know that from the costume exhibits and behind-the-scenes pics. The debate is prop-accurate vs screen-accurate, or rather how often it looks blue on-screen.

I suppose this comes down this personal preference: When you look at your figure on the shelf, do you want to see Han as if you are sitting in front of a (tv/movie) screen, with all of the camera filters and lighting choices that alter the colors like you remember? Or do you want to see your figure as if you are there in person, on Hoth, looking at Han and his jacket with your very own eyes?

I demand my Bilbo and Gandalf figures to be based on the real life proportions of Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan as they were on the set. I want all my environments to be flat pieces of green fabric I can hang behind my figures as well. I don't want none of this fancy movie magic stuff that manipulates the end product of what is seen on the screen to create the illusions we go to the cinema to be engrossed in and take us away to another world!!! Damn it, my 1/6th toys should all look like set pieces!!!

I say we start boycotting going to the cinema and only watch our movies from cobbled together iphone footage from onset leaks.

As much of a luminary as Kurtz is, we don't need his say-so that it was brown. I think we all know that from the costume exhibits and behind-the-scenes pics. The debate is prop-accurate vs screen-accurate, or rather how often it looks blue on-screen.

Exactly, but yet we keep going around in circles.

Oh, and apparently the Vader figure is too big!

How are there two threads concurrently discussing the color of Han's parka? :gah:
There will never be a definitive answer to this argument and it wouldn't matter if there was because people would still have their preference on such an iconic look for Han. It is really beating a dead horse.

Fixed! :wave
How are there two threads concurrently discussing the color of Han's parka? :gah:
There will never be a definitive answer to this argument and it wouldn't matter if there was because people would still have their preference on such an iconic look for Han. It is really beating a dead horse. :horse

The problem is that. There should not be a prop-accurate vs screen-accurate debate because blue is not screen-accurate in any way. I've posted plenty of clips from the laserdisc, and it's never blue, unless under direct blue light (e.g. dismounting Tauntaun).
If we were debating about how the prop looks on-screen when it's not looking plain brown, probably the best match should be something like that:
star-wars-saga-legends-han-solo-hoth-gear.jpg
a greysh-brownish-bluish melt, clearly distinct from the plain brown holster. It's a galaxy far far away from Kenner and from SSC EX photoshopped pics.

The same thing goes for the AT-AT driver. The prop is grey and it's grey in the movie BUT there are plenty of action figures with a white armor, and the picture on the Kenner card itself make the armor looks white. Someone will surely swear that they look white in the movie, and that white is screen-accurate. But still the grey armor is prop-accurate and screen-accurate.

The problem is that. There should not be a prop-accurate vs screen-accurate debate because blue is not screen-accurate in any way.

And this is precisely the attitude I was referring to earlier that keeps this debate going: blue simply must be not merely wrong, but completely and utterly wrong.

The fact this person sites the AT-AT armour (which everyone thought was white until a screen-used helmet appeared just a few years ago) with such scorn at those who see white, says it all.

And this is precisely the attitude I was referring to earlier that keeps this debate going: blue simply must be not merely wrong, but completely and utterly wrong.

The fact this person sites the AT-AT armour (which everyone thought was white until a screen-used helmet appeared just a few years ago) with such scorn at those who see white, says it all.

I didn't mean to be rude, and I apologize because typing is not like talking and also english is not my mothertongue, but I don't understand the problem. I'm not saying you should not have your blue Solo or your white AT-AT driver and like them better, I just find pointless trying to say they're screen-accurate (or even more screen-accurate than the prop!). Expecially on a board where usually the problems are something like the correct shade of green for Boba Fett's armor... :dunno

Yup. I really, truly do hate this thread....
suicide.gif

Embrace your hatred, it'll lead you to the even darker side of the dark side, Darkness. :lsvader

SithThundercracker said:
...I just find pointless trying to say they're screen-accurate (or even more screen-accurate than the prop!).

Harrison's coat wasn't the only prop coat seen on film.

It isn't easy finding pictures of Phil Tippett's "Han Solo stop-motion puppet miniature parka of thick blue cloth", before said parka became the rough and dirty looking exhibit we have now:

pt9.jpg

I did see this one, though:

EP5_BTS_894.jpg

It was described as blue, so it must be a very dark blue.

As far as suicidal threads go, I've seen far worse!

Back