Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose this comes down this personal preference: When you look at your figure on the shelf, do you want to see Han as if you are sitting in front of a (tv/movie) screen, with all of the camera filters and lighting choices that alter the colors like you remember? Or do you want to see your figure as if you are there in person, on Hoth, looking at Han and his jacket with your very own eyes?
I want to view my Han Solo figure sitting on my shelf inside my grass hut, while I am reclining in a comfy lounge chair on a beach in Sri Lanka surrounded by beautiful naked women massaging me with exotic oils. That's my personal preference.

Harrison's coat wasn't the only prop coat seen on film.
It isn't easy finding pictures of Phil Tippett's "Han Solo stop-motion puppet miniature parka of thick blue cloth", before said parka became the rough and dirty looking exhibit we have now:

Yes, I've seen this many times in this thread. What I (politely) think about it is that:
1) you can't compare the actual coat that is on screen, in plain sight, with many closeups for minutes (in all its brownity :monkey3) with a miniature model you see for about 10 seconds in total, never bigger than the Luke cutout you see next to the prop. And not because the miniature is less relevant itself, but because you simply can't tell the color of the parka from the stop-motion sequences (all during the snowstorm except for the first shot)...it could have been blue, brown, black, grey, any dark color. Nobody could have thought the parka was blue because of the miniature.
Can you honestly say this is blue?
500-10.jpg

2) these miniatures were made to be filmed in studio, giving the idea of 1:1 stuff filmed from distance. So they're not supposed to be a perfect replica of the real thing. Look at the color difference between Luke costume and his miniature:
hothluke.jpg
01.08.07_04.tauntaun2.jpg

3) despite its unequivocal description, the rough and dirty looking exibit is rich of brownity.

Trying to move on and back to the topic, neither the Kenner nor the SSC has a blue nearly close to the miniature or the brown prop under blue light. :wink1:

I think it looks great in that shot, devil. I hope they lean more towards that in the final product instead of the very blue blue in the other shots.

Wow. This debate has gotten intense!

I recalled a blue coat. I have the BD in now at 1080p and it's clearly a brown coat in blue light. That's what I see. A casual viewing makes for a blue coat, but when I'm watching for it, I can see that it is clearly a brown coat. Heck, the Taun Taun looks blue in that light too!

I went ahead and ordered both. I want both and I want the extra head to upgrade my Bespin Han. It all works out for me! :)

Maybe I'll set up some blue lighting behind my Hoth diorama once I have them all!

i think the argument is ideal prop vs. screen accurate. Just like collecting props, comparing to EFX collectibles legend series. Do people prefer an idealized parka (blue) for Han, what would be used in the SW universe or the screen accurate movie parka (brown). Whichever you choose, probably would put you in the legend or ideal prop collecting camp.

No need to debate, it's a question of which kind of collector are you? Screen accurate or story/universe kind of collector?

But keep in mind, if we were all collectors based on what the character or prop represents, then you really shouldn't complain if something is inaccurate or wrong shape/color. Like i said before, i'd like to see those people who prefer blue talk about how a figure is inaccurate. Think DX05 people!

i think the argument is ideal prop vs. screen accurate.

If I was only getting one, I'd have gone for Brown, because if you put any official ESB DVD or Blu-ray into a player Harrison is quite clearly wearing a brown coat tinged blue at times by filters or lights.

I don't have recourse to earlier versions of the film to influence me otherwise.

However, the Kenner toy and the Marvel comic played a huge influence. And now we also have the stop-motion coat which tells its own story.

To quote Star Puffs, it's "Han ******ing Solo." It's also ESB.

And for all the above reasons I'd find it hard to pick just one colour. Going to look so damn cool having them both.

DarthAlias said:
But keep in mind, if we were all collectors based on what the character or prop represents, then you really shouldn't complain if something is inaccurate or wrong shape/color. Like i said before, i'd like to see those people who prefer blue talk about how a figure is inaccurate. Think DX05 people!

I hope SS don't drop the ball on Han and Luke the way HT dropped it on Indy! *cough* sculpt *cough* holster *cough*

i think the argument is ideal prop vs. screen accurate. Just like collecting props, comparing to EFX collectibles legend series. Do people prefer an idealized parka (blue) for Han, what would be used in the SW universe or the screen accurate movie parka (brown). Whichever you choose, probably would put you in the legend or ideal prop collecting camp.

No need to debate, it's a question of which kind of collector are you? Screen accurate or story/universe kind of collector?

hmmm... I don't think a lot of people would agree with your Screen Accurate=brown, Idealised =blue description. But your right, it's all just a bit of fun anyways. :lol

but it was blue..

Personally, I always thought that the wardrobe department found some existing zero temp parkas (brown) and dyed them for Solo's character (Blue). They needed real arctic gear for the shoot in Norway and this would be very expensive to make from scratch. This would also explain the slight brown sheen coming through and also why the props have faded back over the years. :dunno

Last edited:
I'm going to see a reformed '80s Aussie rock band called Models this weekend and was just trawling the web for their old videos. None other than Kenner's Hoth Han figure turns up in this one, which I consider a sign!

See him at 2:08, 4:21 and 7:03 ...

Last edited:
I'm going to see a reformed '80s Aussie rock band called Models this weekend and was just trawling the web for their old videos. None other than Kenner's Hoth Han figure turns up in this one, which I consider a sign!

See him at 2:08, 4:21 and 7:03 ...

They're still together? I wonder how they sound without James Freud. What a blast from the past.

Edit: d'oh, just read 're-formed' :)

Back