1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the slight Asian look to Ben's face intentional? Given his Samurai inspiration I thought it might have been intentional. Almost looks like Joel Edgerton (Owen actor from the PT) with subtly Asian features.

zCYnKFU.png

And yeah, I think the pics aren't doing the sculpt any favors - this pic is the clearest of the bunch:

gvghDyA.png

Wow, those pics scream 2007 production quality. This is what worries me for skiff lando. Even through we can hide the sculpt, the outfit may be worse than the proto, and that looks off as it is.
Ss should never do a human sculpt. Just give us background characters ht will never do like cantina and jabba’s palace aliens.

Woo-boy. If this paint job is disappointing folks, it ought to be a real rip - snorter when the production version of the $700+ Jabba hits. One can bet that's going to be significantly different too.

Wow, those pics scream 2007 production quality. This is what worries me for skiff lando. Even through we can hide the sculpt, the outfit may be worse than the proto, and that looks off as it is.
Ss should never do a human sculpt. Just give us background characters ht will never do like cantina and jabba’s palace aliens.

I actually think a key problem is also the way SSC sculpts hair - it's like spaghetti, too thick and simplistic and rounded at the ends to be "hair." HT does hair strands maybe half the thickness, and it tapers to points and hangs out from the forehead.

You can see this weird effect on this fig where the hair overhanging the forehead seems to simply block backwards into the forehead, instead of hanging in front of it. Like thick roots of a gnarled tree. It's something you'd see on a Hasbro 12" figure.

I’ve literally seen better paint apps on cheap Chinese knock-offs.

That's been the case for at least five years. Put the SSC Hoth Han no-hat head next to the Space trucker eBay Han head - the "knockoff" is way better in every way.

Woo-boy. If this paint job is disappointing folks, it ought to be a real rip - snorter when the production version of the $700+ Jabba hits. One can bet that's going to be significantly different too.

It seems like its human heads that Sideshow finds impossible to pull off. While there are dropoffs on non-head paint apps (such as the weathering disappearing on Dengar's armor) on the whole SSC is better with apps not on human heads.

That being said, I'm not sure many companies have gotten Jabba's paint screen accurate, so it'll be interesting to see. The key conern to me is that they made it from resin and fiberglass instead of injection molded plastic as they initially said they would. The gaps around the swap-out pieces could be more of an issue with resin.

Its getting to that point with knockoffs.......it seems companies, with the exception of sideshow, are increasing their quality to compete. Not sure what's keeping Sideshow going

Exactamundo. Not sure how long sideshow can stay in the 1/6 game.

Also hair is a pretty consistent problem it's true. It looks like cake frosting to me. :)

Exactamundo. Not sure how long sideshow can stay in the 1/6 game.

Also hair is a pretty consistent problem it's true. It looks like cake frosting to me. :)

Thing is, people have been saying for a long time that sideshow is going to go out of business if they keep pumping out this low quality/high price stuff. But it doesn't seem to happen.

Sideshow does seem to have a cult following of 1/6 collecting masochists who buy everything they produce no matter how putrid it turns out and then defend it like the Alamo.

Is the slight Asian look to Ben's face intentional? Given his Samurai inspiration I thought it might have been intentional. Almost looks like Joel Edgerton (Owen actor from the PT) with subtly Asian features.

zCYnKFU.png

And yeah, I think the pics aren't doing the sculpt any favors - this pic is the clearest of the bunch:

gvghDyA.png

I was racking my brain trying to figure out why this sculpt looked so familiar, and no, it's nothing to do with Alec Guinness.

Then it hit me.

Robert Patrick.

6f4de09b88bc43e9e7e7d5ddc4864cc1--patrick-obrian-robert-richard.jpg

Thing is, people have been saying for a long time that sideshow is going to go out of business if they keep pumping out this low quality/high price stuff. But it doesn't seem to happen.

Sideshow does seem to have a cult following of 1/6 collecting masochists who buy everything they produce no matter how putrid it turns out and then defend it like the Alamo.

I thought maybe their premium format and statues are where they make their money. I don't know anything about those products though.

Yeah there was definitely no shortage of people here scrambling to get their Snowspeeder Luke... ;)

Yeah there was definitely no shortage of people here scrambling to get their Snowspeeder Luke... ;)

True, but that figure is an outlier. It's their only recent one that I can think of that has steeply shot up in price, as their retail prices are generally so high that nobody is going to pay extra considering their overall quality and polish is not top of the line.

I do have the Snowspeeder Luke. I got it for about $30 under retail awhile after release when popcultcha had a sale, they didn't last long. It is a nice figure and I'm glad to have it. Parts of it are excellent but I do think it is a bit overrated overall because of it's relative scarcity.

gvghDyA.png

That unsightly neck joint is by far the biggest eye sore. I don't get how people can over look a glaring issue like that and complain about smaller issues. No matter how great a sculpt is and how well it's painted that ugly joint would diminish the figure.

That unsightly neck joint is by far the biggest eye sore. I don't get how people can over look a glaring issue like that and complain about smaller issues. No matter how great a sculpt is and how well it's painted that ugly joint would diminish the figure.

I agree. It's an issue...............it just the overall lack of quality. Looks bad.

I'm still a little confused about the lack of dual headsculpts... even if it were offered as a Deluxe exclusive. I mean, I get the complaints about the neck joint, but IMO it would have been understandable if it were to accommodate two very different headsculpts...

Yes , it's true- have to admit that neck is a real eyesore there. What makes it stick out even more is that the skin tones aren't even close. I don't think Sideshow has changed that clumsy neck treatment on their figures for a long time...

TPM-KENOBI-YODA-33.jpg

Still like this old figure despite the extremely loose limbs and the ugly neck.

I still want this new Mythos figure though.

I was willing to forgive the neck if the HS turned out as good as the proto. I actually liked the sculpt a good amount. Now I guess I'll wait to see if E3 Obi turns out alright and just buy extra parts from this if I wanna make mythos. Hopefully they fix the chubby face on HT Obi though... =P

I'm hoping for some kind of miracle where people get this in hand and it's actually great lol.

Back