Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow In Progress

Is that pic on the right from the film? Because it doesn't look like Johnny either.

its from Curse when jack is talking to barbossa and he starts eating an apple and says "funny old world, innit?" its one of the first scenes they shot because johnny had not yet decided to wear eyeliner for the character

its from Curse when jack is talking to barbossa and he starts eating an apple and says "funny old world, innit?" its one of the first scenes they shot because johnny had not yet decided to wear eyeliner for the character

Interesting. I never knew it was a debate for him. Is there any info on what made him decide to use it?

This is true for the most case but times it's important for feedback particularly on human likeness pieces like this. Overall I like the piece and have ordered but i can see why people would like some tweaks to the portrait. Both SS and CM have failed to capture the likeness 100% but both are close enough for people to argue both sides. What I find amazing is that HTs can get a better likeness on a smaller scale than both of these companies.

he dosent look 100% like jonny but this pf is the best likeness in the High-End collecting world.
there is no other figure or statue that comes close to this.

if you guys know of a better likeness out there please post the pics.

Interesting. I never knew it was a debate for him. Is there any info on what made him decide to use it?

I don't know about his personal choice, but I know from some behind the scenes bit, that the thought behind the makeup was the same as sports players that put the black lines on their face, as a means of keeping out the sun being exposed to it so much, especially on the sea with the reflection off the water.

One thing I caught watching the DVD last night with commentary on, that I'm REALLY glad didn't really pan out, was apparently Depp proposed to Gore that Jack should look as if his nose had been cut off and then poorly reattached so it was all funky colored because of poor blood circulation and all. I think that would have looked very foolish. Not sure how serious Depp was about it, but either way, glad they didn't go there :lol

So thats why it doesn't look right. And I guess I need to watch with the comentary one of these days... sounds like there is a lot of good info I missed.

if i recall correctly he decided to wear eyeliner because old tribes men wore it to protect their eyes from the sun somehow ahah not sure exactly how that works but it was somethign along those lines.

edit: maul just said summat on it

rjh69z.jpg

That first pic isn't Depp, I'd bet my collection on it. It look remarkably like the a pic from a Disney Fan board of the character actor from the park in Orlando. I'd love to get the actual URL of the pic to check my own conclusions since the tinyURL is just the collage but I understand the point that it isn't the most striking likeness, but it isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

That first pic isn't Depp, I'd bet my collection on it. It look remarkably like the a pic from a Disney Fan board of the character actor from the park in Orlando. I'd love to get the actual URL of the pic to check my own conclusions since the tinyURL is just the collage but I understand the point that it isn't the most striking likeness, but it isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

Are you being serious?

edit just in case you are being serious:
First pic is a cosplayer, second is the PF, third is Depp from Curse. The collage was posted saying that the pf looks just as much like the dude on the left as it does Depp.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

No, I'm not being serious just poking fun at all of the facial experts that have come onto the scene. Needs one of these? :lol: The last part is serious. The facial sculpt doesn't look exact but its not as bad as it turned out to be.

he dosent look 100% like jonny but this pf is the best likeness in the High-End collecting world.
there is no other figure or statue that comes close to this.

if you guys know of a better likeness out there please post the pics.

499f_1.JPG
Much better likeness imo...and it costs around 15$

Hmm...I don't think its a better likeness. Maybe equal. Some parts look better than the PF, others don't.

Here is the way I see it,

This PF has so much going on in it. Its simply awesome-the sculpt, the accuracy of the clothing, the lamp, the map, the change out hands-everything seems to be a winner and to me right up there with the best ever PF's.

Having said that, along with many I feel the Depp likeness is ok at best. From the side pics it looks like him, but something about that nose just isnt right to me. I think Im spoiled because Trevor has introduced us to rediculously amazing sculpts of Arnold and Indy that there is no question how good one of these can look.

My question to Sideshow is, if you are going to spend this much time, effort, and people to produce this character-why not go with the best face sculpturist you have and let Trevor Grove do the face sculpt. Everything else is spot on and I couldnt be happier.

But do you guys understand where Im coming from?
I mean, I will get it either way and be happy either way-but a better face sculpt on this would make it amazing!

Trevor can't sculpt everything Sideshow does, it's simply impossible, so at some point, pieces have to be put in the hands of other artists. Trev definitely has a gift, but there are some very talented sculptors on the Sideshow team.

this barbie repaint looks better then the pf ahah

Key word... REPAINT. Anyone making a 1 of can make it look better than a mass produced figure. I'm sure soembody will repaint the PF to make it look better too.

Back