Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow PF Jack Sparrow In Progress

I was going to buy this as my first PF but, now..since i just got 1/4 Scale HD Masterpiece- Bruce Lee HD-1002 full statue
at $200..this PF doesn't even come close to having Enterbay detail at a lower cost to boot.

There is no excuses anymore, this line needs to evolve.

There are a few things I'm not happy about in regards to this PF as well, but you have to admit that it has a lot more going on than the Enterbay 1/4 Bruce (base/complex outfit) to help justify the pricetag.

Still curious as to what it is.

11mffj8-b.jpg

I read an interview with Depp where he said it is a reindeer shin bone.

How about this comparison?
You took a sample that was taken with a flash which is a no-no. There should be a dang rule here never to post pics with flash. Flash has been known to throw off color big time. I've taken pics with flash before where the color was way off making the figure look cheap looking cause the paint looks too bright.

Here's a sample of bad image using a flash. This is my Gambit I first posted with a flash and I notice that it was way off.
aoweph.jpg

I then took it without flash...big difference, looked a lot better.
2n84xvl.jpg

So basically people...NO Flash please :)

Last edited:

Funny, i could take a pic of my EnterBay 1/4 Bruce Lee statue with flash and it would still look better then this and why is that?, because it has sweat detail,sculpted eyes,hair folicles,stubble and lash paint effect etc...

No Excuse. There is absolutely no texture on his face at all other then the facial hair..time for SSC to rethink paint application/sculpt detailing execution with this line.

I think this paint application is on par with older Hot Toys figures from years and years ago except the eyes on this are even worse...
PA283077.jpg

Last edited:

Funny, i could take a pic of my 1/4 Bruce Lee statue with flash and it would still look better then this and why is that?, because it has sweat detail,sculpted eyes,hair folicles,stubble and lash paint effect etc...

No Excuse. There is absolutely no texture on his face at all other then the facial hair..time for SSC to rethink paint application/sculpt detailing execution with this line.

No offense, but if you don't own any PFs how can you claim what you have in hand is better? Post some flash pics of your EB Bruce and let's see.
I'm not saying that to be a ____, I'm honestly curious how it will hold up.

Oh here we go now...

Because Valfar does not own a PF means he didn't see someone elses PF's in person? or even at my local comic shops?.

Funny, i could take a pic of my 1/4 Bruce Lee statue with flash and it would still look better then this and why is that?, because it has sweat detail,sculpted eyes,hair folicles,stubble and lash paint effect etc...

This PF, has Base that has coins coming out through the extremely detailed box, it has 2 wine jar, has a lamp that flickers, has an extremely detailed clothes, has a wine barrel, has a map, pistol, sword, 2 compass, Very fine sculpt with good likeness to Depp.

there's a reason why you're 1/4 Bruce Lee is only half the price.
And again, please look at the other pics instead of the one with the flash.

Funny, i could take a pic of my EnterBay 1/4 Bruce Lee statue with flash and it would still look better then this and why is that?, because it has sweat detail,sculpted eyes,hair folicles,stubble and lash paint effect etc...

I think this paint application is on par with older Hot Toys figures from years and years ago except the eyes on this are even worse...
PA283077.jpg

Why is it no excuse, why does Sideshow's product have to be exactly like everything else on the market? Why should every product in collecting be 100% photo realstic and all look alike? Why is there no room for artistic interpretations and stylized products?

Oh here we go now...

Because Valfar does not own a PF means he didn't see someone elses PF's in person? or even at my local comic shops?.

Nope. Not at all. I only own one PF so I'm not claiming to be an expert. But you said you could take a flash pic of your Enterbay figure and it would look much better. So why not put your money where your mouth is? :nana: :peace

Why is it no excuse, why does Sideshow's product have to be exactly like everything else on the market? Why should every product in collecting be 100% photo realstic and all look alike? Why is there no room for artistic interpretations and stylized products?

Simply because it just doesn't live up to the name Premium Format.

Just imagine Enterbay did a 1/4 scale Jack Sparrow for a value price like Lee was for $170 MSRP.

1063938878_rBRtn-X2.jpg

If you can pump out a product with this level of detail at that price point..and don't start with the "oh but its polystone" then, there is no reason you should pay like $300+ dollars for this anymore. The Fallschirmjäger PF though is pretty close to the standard they should have had a long time ago but, we haven't seen this released yet.

Last edited:

I love my 1/4 Bruce Lee as much as the next guy, and it's true that the paint apps are great, but I would still take this piece over that one due to the overall amount of detail. Not to mention Lee's face was a lot rougher than Depp's.

Anyways, to get back on track,

Gots mines!

I for one couldn't be happier with how this turned out. The fabric, tailoring, base, light up lantern, map, paint and sculpt are all fantastic!

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2611.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

That's not a flash pic.

LOL :rotfl

Grats Matt and nice pics bud.
I agree with Matt, sure the Bruce Lee looks great but I'd still take the PF Jack.
Its soo intricate, so many accessories its truly outstanding.
It does look very much like Depp.
Just because Bruce PF has better paint doesnt mean its better PF. Guarantee
you set them side by side and if you ask a lot of people which one they can take home,
they'll take the Jack PF.

Last edited:

Just imagine Enterbay did a 1/4 scale Jack Sparrow for a value price like Lee was for $170 MSRP.

If you can pump out a product with this level of detail at that price point..and don't start with the "oh but its polystone" .

I'm not going to make excuses for why Sideshow's products look like they do, but my point is, why should it have to look like that Enterbay Bruce. Why can't Sideshow's PFs just stay the style they'v been for years and if it's not to your taste you just don't buy it.

I don't deny the coolness of photo-realistic like Hot Toys and Enterbay products, but if a company makes something that's not in that style, I don't regard it a failure or something that needs to be fixed.

If Sideshow's mission were for their PFs to look like HT figures, then yes, it would be a failure. However, that's not been their declaration, their premium format figures are just 1/4 statues that mix sculpted and non-sculpted elements and even electronics in some cases. That's all the line's ever been promoted to be. As far as I can see, the PFs today are no different from the ones of old, maybe a bit better even in cases, they haven't deviated from what Sideshow calls a Premium Format figure.

If you can pump out a product with this level of detail at that price point..and don't start with the "oh but its polystone" then, there is no reason you should pay like $300+ dollars for this anymore. The Fallschirmjäger PF though is pretty close to the standard they should have had a long time ago but, we haven't seen this released yet.

Lol

And you remember to tell enterbay work more the body of bruce lee! Because the horrible knuckles, it is very amateur! :panic: :rotfl

I'm not going to make excuses for why Sideshow's products look like they do, but my point is, why should it have to look like that Enterbay Bruce. Why can't Sideshow's PFs just stay the style they'v been for years and if it's not to your taste you just don't buy it.I don't deny the coolness of photo-realistic like Hot Toys and Enterbay products, but if a company makes something that's not in that style, I don't regard it a failure or something that needs to be fixed.

If Sideshow's mission were for their PFs to look like HT figures, then yes, it would be a failure. However, that's not been their declaration, their premium format figures are just 1/4 statues that mix sculpted and non-sculpted elements and even electronics in some cases. That's all the line's ever been promoted to be. As far as I can see, the PFs today are no different from the ones of old, maybe a bit better even in cases, they haven't deviated from what Sideshow calls a Premium Format figure.

To the first comment in bold..True.

Second comment, one word.. Fallschirmjäger.

That would be fantastic, but ultimately impossible. Things like the complex base and outfit that come with Jack inevitably jack up the price.

The Bruce statue has a bare bones base and is approximately 70% skin, with some simply tailored pants and, in some cases, sloppily painted shoes making up the remainder. Enterbay better have nailed the skin texture and paint apps because that's mostly what the statue has going for it.

If Enterbay put out a statue with a base and outfit on par with the complexity of Jack's, you better believe that $170 price is going for a hike.

Back