Sideshow Storm Shadow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is a good thing. It came out at a time when the Joes were becoming creatively and commercially bankrupt, and seemed to me to be a cheap "shock" thrown in to rejuvenate interest. . .similar to a lot of what Marvel and DC have been doing in recent years, from what I've seen.

It definitely seemed like a lame way to kill a bunch of Joes. Why not do a huge multi-part story with Joe or Cobra storming the other's base and a bunch of guys going out in a blaze of glory?

I got my notice as well and I hope
I'm able to get the figure and not
have to cancel it. I do agree that
sleeveless is the way to go and I
would love to use the maskless head
for a Tommy custom à la the Marvel
Comics
run. That's forever how I'll
see Storm Shadow unmasked. :gun

so which Joe comics are worth reading? i was thinking of picking up the Classic GI Joe TPBs which reprint the classic marvel series if i'm not mistaken.

I would say the original series up until around the time that Khev left off, actually (1986 or so). I read a little of the newer stuff, and it didn't interest me enough to keep reading more. The earlier issues of the Marvel run were fantastic. In fact, I've been re-reading my old TPBs recently. Just read
Spoiler Spoiler:

so which Joe comics are worth reading? i was thinking of picking up the Classic GI Joe TPBs which reprint the classic marvel series if i'm not mistaken.

Almost all of the first 50 or 60 issues were great reads so you won't go wrong picking up any of the current trades.

They are genuinely well-written stories, even if you aren't that into Joes. Larry Hama wrote all but a few isolated issues of that run Khev is referring to, and was also responsible for most of the stories/bios on the old card-backs.

In fact, I've been re-reading my old TPBs recently. Just read
Spoiler Spoiler:

I love the finale of that story arc. Kwinn was a badass and I actually wouldn't mind seeing a SSC figure of him down the line. I wish the Officer came with an extra Scarface head.

Same here. A lot of exclusives aren't worth displaying but a pair of chuks seem like a no-brainer to have either in his hands or hanging from his belt. I wish they made a way for his bow to attach to his quiver to free up his hands for his other weapons.

Ironic considering that you passed on Timber. ;)

Naw, I passed on a overpriced corner of a house.

I was disappointed we never got 25th versions of Dr. Venom and Kwinn. They did the necklace for the Arctic Snake Eyes, so I thought one was coming. . .maybe after all the movie garbage goes away, we'll get more nods to the old comics. We did get Scarface, though, which was cool.

Same here. A lot of exclusives aren't worth displaying but a pair of chuks seem like a no-brainer to have either in his hands or hanging from his belt. I wish they made a way for his bow to attach to his quiver to free up his hands for his other weapons.

You don't think he'll be able to wrap it around his torso like the 3 3/4" figure?

I was disappointed we never got 25th versions of Dr. Venom and Kwinn. They did the necklace for the Arctic Snake Eyes, so I thought one was coming. . .maybe after all the movie garbage goes away, we'll get more nods to the old comics. We did get Scarface, though, which was cool.

I think you can stick a fork in the 25th line. Anything they'll likely want to put out, as with Resolute Snake Eyes, they'll sneak into the movie line. With the next movie already green-lit, they'll keep the ROC theme inserting others here and there until the sequel hits, then release figures for that one too.

I don't know. The Transformers shifted back to the Classics/Universe stuff after the first movie line faded away. I figure we'll see a return to the 25th line for the major unreleased pre-1988 figures and possibly some more comic stuff.

Hasbro knows that there are fans of the movie stuff, and fans of the old toys. There is overlap, but there are people who just collect one or the other, and they want to milk both of these groups. When the kiddies are getting tired of the ROC stuff, they bring in the vintage characters to re-stoke interest in those figures. Then, by the time that goes down again, it will be time for the next movie, and a new wave of kiddies will buy that garbage.

I would say the original series up until around the time that Khev left off, actually (1986 or so). I read a little of the newer stuff, and it didn't interest me enough to keep reading more. The earlier issues of the Marvel run were fantastic. In fact, I've been re-reading my old TPBs recently. Just read
Spoiler Spoiler:

I have just finished TPB #3 and have 4 and 5 coming now. It is awesome re-reading all of the old comics.

Sorry to say that I'm canceling my Ex. :( It was a torturous decision, but I have to be very picky about what figures I'm going to be getting. I have a list of absolute must haves and I'm going to try to stick to it.

Hopefully one you guys will get their waitlist converted.

Would be nice to have the option to make him either "figure accurate" or "card art accurate" in that sense.

--edit: nevermind. I though for a minute his bow went around his torso on the card art, but I checked, and it doesn't.--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back