Sideshow Storm Shadow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct. I literally have never heard of other collectors keeping stuff in the package.

:horror

serious?

no, but really...

Just don't get it with all of the popularity of collectibles that after all this time I would be ganged up on, because what? I keep stuff in their box? Am I the first person on this forum to do this or something? Very strange that it is so frowned upon.

I am sure they do, and I have seen many as well, but not something I want or plan to do. I love looking at dioramas, I see the artistic style people put into them, but again not something for me.

I recently got back into toys with the 25th Joe line, and have every carded, and boxed figure, and every vehicle they put out, I will eventually get the ROC figures as well, and will keep them all in package, just looks better in my opinion. I bought, opened and played with toys as a kid, but I am pass it, I don't judge others that still do it when they are 30+ years old, but I see a pretty immature child in that grown up that can't understand why some decide not to open them.

That statement is oxymoronic. Basically, you are judging. :lol

I'm thinking about buying a honda civic and keeping it in a storage unit. one day I might drive it but for now I'll just let it sit there and depreciate. :lol

and spazzy you're taking it all too hard. I'm not berating you for it. just fail to see why to do it. imo with them in the box, they are pretty much the same as the box. especially considering most of these go down in value, not up...so IF you ever decided to open them you can in 2 years log on to ebay and get them for 25-50% less what you paid today.

The value in paying 100% retail NOW is that you can "enjoy" the item for its full lifecycle. But if you stick the item in the closet or storage then I fail to see how that is "enjoying" the item.

I think you are just enjoy the "buying" which is a sad commentary that fits a lot of current society.

Last edited:
One night at a hockey game and I miss all this :)

I keep all mined boxed also (ducks head)

Im close to cracking on the Joes though

For me they display well in the box, out of the they are just random dudes piled on a shelf

I also think part of it was when I had a huge McFarlane collection I opened them all up and was greatly disappointed, they didnt stand up, the pieces all broke etc

In my experience, The guys collecting for resale value and the MISBoxer end up not being in this hobby not for a very long time.Therefore they are known ,to quote Dekadent Dave, as: ''fairweather collectors ''

It is akin to collecting unopened shampoo bottles or Kleenex boxes. If you want to do it, go ahead, but it is strange because most people don't do it. That is the definition of weird or strange.

That statement is oxymoronic. Basically, you are judging. :lol

I am judging the people who can't understand that I enjoy this part of the hobby.

I don't judge people for opening them, for many that is how they enjoy their hobby, just not for me. I have tried it, and don't enjoy it, for the few reasons I already mentioned.

i actually have a collection of deordorant and soap. I can't help hording it whenever I have a coupon. :lol. My wife is like, "don't you already have 8 bottles of Old Spice?" and I'm like, "yeah but its on clearance again!" :lol

With the same $ I am able to accomplish my habit of displaying open figures AND owning boxes since the opened and empty boxes look exactly like unopened boxes.

i actually have a collection of deordorant and soap. I can't help hording it whenever I have a coupon. :lol. My wife is like, "don't you already have 8 bottles of Old Spice?" and I'm like, "yeah but its on clearance again!" :lol

Old Spice? What are you, 11? No Brute?

With the same $ I am able to accomplish my habit of displaying open figures AND owning boxes since the opened and empty boxes look exactly like unopened boxes.
The nice thing about Kleenex brand tissues is that they have the plastic cover on the top, so that you can see the mint tissues inside, and display it that way if you are a "MIB" collector.

I'm thinking about buying a honda civic and keeping it in a storage unit. one day I might drive it but for now I'll just let it sit there and depreciate. :lol

and spazzy you're taking it all too hard. I'm not berating you for it. just fail to see why to do it. imo with them in the box, they are pretty much the same as the box. especially considering most of these go down in value, not up...so IF you ever decided to open them you can in 2 years log on to ebay and get them for 25-50% less what you paid today.

The value in paying 100% retail NOW is that you can "enjoy" the item for its full lifecycle. But if you stick the item in the closet or storage then I fail to see how that is "enjoying" the item.

I think you are just enjoy the "buying" which is a sad commentary that fits a lot of current society.

I do eventualy plan to display them either in box in their plastic baggies, or with the box folded open, I just don't have the space (or technically the house since I am still looking to buy) to fit these bulbous boxes or carded figures on display, I have been looking for different types of displays for years to display them and get all my toys out of storage, but no way I will ever open them, just not for me.

And knowing that I have them, I do enjoy it, because in 6months or 2 years I don't have to worry about hopefully they will still be readily available, or what if by chance they do go in value, it happens alot on statues, and I end up paying much more than I would if it was retail.

And if I was just buying to buying, I would be wasting alot more money on alot more stuff, like I said I am a joe fan, and I decided long before SE was up for order that I would get 3, but since then only want 2.

I unfortunetly don't have the luxury to just splurge, I budget and save just like everyone else does, and 2 is what I budget for. :chew

One night at a hockey game and I miss all this :)

I keep all mined boxed also (ducks head) :banana

Im close to cracking on the Joes though

For me they display well in the box, out of the they are just random dudes piled on a shelf

I also think part of it was when I had a huge McFarlane collection I opened them all up and was greatly disappointed, they didnt stand up, the pieces all broke etc

I'm not alone.

This is how I was with the 25th joes, I bought a bunch to open, opened, had them in boxes displayed some, bagged them, then sold them and lost money.

In my experience, The guys collecting for resale value and the MISBoxer end up not being in this hobby not for a very long time.Therefore they are known ,to quote Dekadent Dave, as: ''fairweather collectors ''

I don't always collect for resale value, I try to get what I want, sometimes sell stuff sometimes I don't. But I have been buying comics and toys since I was 5, getting plenty of Joes/transformers and comics from my older brother.....maybe he is to blame, he always had the best condition comics and always had to have perfect condition toys in their package when I was still opening my Toybiz marvel figures, guess it got passed down, but I will always enjoy them much more in the box then out, and my wife appreciates it a little bit more that ways as well (still not okay with it, but lets it pass)

Boxed 25th Joes aren't going for much right now, either.

Most of these are sub-retail and BBTS can't get rid of them:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1264&company=0&category=3623

Not that I am arguing that boxed figures don't maintain more of a value in the long-term than loose figures. They do. But your argument seems to be that keeping the 25th Joes boxed was a good investment, and I disagree.

It is akin to collecting unopened shampoo bottles or Kleenex boxes. If you want to do it, go ahead, but it is strange because most people don't do it. That is the definition of weird or strange.

I know plenty of MOC/MISB collectors.

And it is nothing similar to collecting hygeine products imo, if someone does that, my bad. :peace

Boxed 25th Joes aren't going for much right now, either.

Most of these are sub-retail and BBTS can't get rid of them:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1264&company=0&category=3623

Not that I am arguing that boxed figures don't maintain more of a value in the long-term than loose figures. They do. But your argument seems to be that keeping the 25th Joes boxed was a good investment, and I disagree.

I don't plan on selling 25th joes either, I am a completist, I started with the first couple of waves and couldn't stop.

I don't remember saying I was selling off my Joe collection...did I:confused: I thought I said I was a diehard Joe fan.

Old Spice? What are you, 11? No Brute?

No, he's actually cooler than you. :lol

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Af1OxkFOK18&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yg6bZSM48vU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Yg6bZSM48vU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back