Sphero's Star Wars BB-8 Drone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sphero BB-8

12aac99c279883b1604f5875da4cd7d1.jpg

Re: Sphero BB-8

You beat me to it. Here a few shots for comparison. I view it as getting a 1/6th representation with the added bonus of what it can do. Worth grabbing one (if you're not a grumpy old man yelling at kids to get off your lawn) if you see/find him.

Going to get him going later.

Attachments

• IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3655.JPG
    IMG_3655.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3656.JPG
    IMG_3656.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
This one doesn't have motors, nor is it self balancing, but it can bring you food (requires an optional slave unit).

imvq_sw_bb-8_serving_platter_inuse.jpg

Is BB-8's body the same size as the original Sphero? Online specs for that say it's 3"

This is a great fun toy. Software could use some refinements. For example it can sometimes be a pain to connect and while it seems to track his movement it's not smart enough to remember previous collisions. I also think if you are wanting it to display with figs you might not want to use it too much on hard surfaces as I can see the decals being subject to a fair bit of wear. Having to have the IOS/Android app actively open while he is in patrol mode is also a let down. No filming him using the phone that sent him out on patrol and just having him run around doing his thing means you're running the battery on the phone down. It would be nice to send him on patrol and then be able to put your phone to sleep or do other things with it.

This is a great fun toy. Software could use some refinements. For example it can sometimes be a pain to connect and while it seems to track his movement it's not smart enough to remember previous collisions. I also think if you are wanting it to display with figs you might not want to use it too much on hard surfaces as I can see the decals being subject to a fair bit of wear. Having to have the IOS/Android app actively open while he is in patrol mode is also a let down. No filming him using the phone that sent him out on patrol and just having him run around doing his thing means you're running the battery on the phone down. It would be nice to send him on patrol and then be able to put your phone to sleep or do other things with it.

Thanks for this. I think its important information to know before purchasing. Android apparently has several disadvantages that are not readily known or advertised. I especially feel cheated about the lack of voice commands.

I'm going to use my iPad to control him, that way I can use my phone to record and what not.

How does this guy roll on carpet? Anyone tried?

After seeing pics of him in scale with other 1/6 SW I'm really tempted.

I'm looking at this like DarthNeil, as a 1/6 representation of BB-8 with some really cool features.

Even tho I had him on hold at my local radio shack with 10% off with military. I ordered through best buy since I had gift cards. $63.23 shipped, and I just found another $4.38 gift card I could of used. Only problem with best buy, they ship slow to me.

Back