SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, glad you liked them, I haven't really gotten to the stuff I really want to do yet, because of him being pure black and almost pure white, he poses some lighting challenges, plus the hood, I tried using my usual room lighting last night but it doest really work for him, the way natural light comes in works so I'll exploit that when I can and the 3 recent shots were with my flash so I'll be putting that to more use.

Because 90% of Palpatine's screen time in the saga, in his deformed state, is with his hood on, it takes certain lighting to make the figure look more like he does on screen. Even though photos lie a bit, I find that to the eye, as long as you've got light hitting him from a high angle where it casts shadows on his face, he should look like people expect him to.

Yay, more gorgeous photos from you, Sean. :clap
Can you give some more details about the setup and lens you're using here? thanks

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Wow, Sean. Some here may tire of your shadowy style, but these shots are unbelievable. They look like what I imagine old ROTJ publicity photos taken by Anton Corbijn would have looked like!

Have you ever considered putting together a book of your photos? I would gladly plunk down some serious coin for a glossy, hi-res collection of your work. It definitely would be the kind of thing that adds some class to this hobby!

I have to agree with the people who feel a bit gypped having paid so much for such a basic figure. It's a catch-22 where you could wait for 2ndary market value to go down, but then you miss out on a really important exclusive. I feel that it would have been easy to include a lot more with this figure, including a simple repack of Lukes lightsaber, one of the few items his majesty handles.

Even better would have been a 2-pack including a Royal Guardsman or a Dignitary for slightly more. I do feel the figure is over-priced, as well made as I believe it is, and as happy with it as I truly am.

As to the throne, I also believe it's over-priced, but I also think that people who wait too long to get it run a major risk. The longer one of these things bangs around a warehouse, the likelier it will be that it's gonna break,as several have.

That being the case, we might not see a decrease in value for the throne as they become harder to locate in good condition.

By the way, I am LOVING everyone's pics (especially MaulFan's, natch), and I'm glad so many seem to like my pic of the Angry Emperor Enthroned.

I have to tell you, I did try a few poses to see if I could make him look like he was "dropping the kids off at the pool" and I couldn't really make it look right. Score one for the ex being amazing.

that first pic of Sean's is totally saying "So be it....Jedi". really shows how good the regular sculpt is. unfortunately it is hard to keep that look on the shelf cuz of lighting.

I have to agree with the people who feel a bit gypped having paid so much for such a basic figure. It's a catch-22 where you could wait for 2ndary market value to go down, but then you miss out on a really important exclusive. I feel that it would have been easy to include a lot more with this figure, including a simple repack of Lukes lightsaber, one of the few items his majesty handles.

Thats one major reason why I haven't bought him yet. Seems like a lot of cash for such a basic figure... even one that looks a great as him.

Gotta agree with Customikey, while I like this figure, its left me a bit unsatisfied due to the high price for what we get. Considering the EX is still not sold out, apparently many feel the same way. SS is gonna have a helluva time selling out of the regular version. I mean, three years ago, we got a Sidious/Palps two pack for the same price, and that had tons of accessories. Personally, i still feel like the pro bodies are a bit too small looking - Emperor should be a half head taller

For over $100 with shipping, it should have come with (and my idea of a cool exclusive)

imperial issue pants
Luke saber hilt
both heads should have been standard

My idea of a cool exclusive: 12" Vader helmet/dome with see-through skull that you could switch out with Vader

Maulfan: there are pics and then there are beautiful shots....that's the best I've ever seen of this figure. WOW! I mean, damn! Are there any alterations to that head? it doesnt look like the same face.....

Last edited:
yeah he's supposed to be unleashing some force lightning while leaning on the cane. unfortunately i had to take the shot from a low angle to make it look good. so he looks like he's hailing a cab.:lol

True, especially when you compare Cody for $30 more...

3 sculpts
2 guns
Emperor hologram
Unique armor bits

Emperor only comes with
2 robes
cane
and no pants!

True, especially when you compare Cody for $30 more...

3 sculpts
2 guns
Emperor hologram
Unique armor bits

Emperor only comes with
2 robes
cane
and no pants!

Hmm, maybe we should just consider that, for someone who collects a lot of this line, it all just kinda evens out. I think Cody is very well priced.

I don't mind the sparseness of the Emperor just that he really didn't interact with much. I will agree extra hands would be nice... I think for the exclusive $95 is a bit high, but definitely the regular is overpriced $90 with just one head.

Maybe a way to make people feel better would have been to have some kind of package deal on the throne and Palps rather than just being separate pieces?

44.jpg

Now im happy, i only POed the regular version.....
EX ver. is not available here in our country for PO.. :(

excellent pics maul :clap

I'm surprised they didn't go that route, like they did for Toht and Belloq. I would have gotten both packed together for a lower price.

I guess they figured SW fans will just open their pockets. And they will. There's such a mark-up on the throne that SS will make money even if they sell only 20% of those chairs.

I'm surprised they didn't go that route, like they did for Toht and Belloq. I would have gotten both packed together for a lower price.

I guess they figured SW fans will just open their pockets. And they will. There's such a mark-up on the throne that SS will make money even if they sell only 20% of those chairs.

Entirely possible, though a sad commentary on both Sideshow AND collectors.

Basically, we are very satisfied with the figure, but not the manner in which it was sold to us.

Feel the exact same way. Like I said earlier, I opened him, futzed for about 3 minutes and thought..."huh, what now?".

So far removed from the Joe figures and most HT figs. Thats not to say there is anything wrong with the figure, just the price seems bloated for such a basic fig. The extra head sculpt is great, but for the price at least some more hands would have been nice. Or have been about $20 cheaper. Oh well.

If the figure had clip on plastic lightening, then it would feel like something was innovative about it.

I guess they figured SW fans will just open their pockets.

Applies to all collector's IMO. Consider the price we pay for these collectibles (often 100+) when often they consist of a unique head sculpt, clothing and accessories while everything else is rehashed. :cuckoo:

Love ever minute of it tho........

Applies to all collector's IMO. Consider the price we pay for these collectibles (often 100+) when often they consist of a unique head sculpt, clothing and accessories while everything else is rehashed. :cuckoo:

Love ever minute of it tho........

You can say that again, brother!

Back