SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Sith lightning is badass! That's what Sideshow SHOULD have included with this guy!

This figure is tough to photograph unless you have a nice set up going. At least thats how I look at it for what thats worth.

He needs a more shadowy effect to get the creepiness going but for me I don't really care for that style. I want to see the details of the piece not see them hidden by shadows.

I think a good marketing campaign would feature both.

Seeing the details is nice, but often to do that, you sacrifice showing the capacity of a piece to represent the source.

While some photos can go beyond gome lightinh, it is possible to have home display lighting casting shadows like the movie and in that scenario, the figure looks just like him.

If you're selling a figure that is to be an authentic replica of the source, show that off.

Seeing the details is nice, but often to do that, you sacrifice showing the capacity of a piece to represent the source.

While some photos can go beyond gome lightinh, it is possible to have home display lighting casting shadows like the movie and in that scenario, the figure looks just like him.

If you're selling a figure that is to be an authentic replica of the source, show that off.

Exactly so. When it comes to characters such as the Emperor, we're used to seeing him onscreen under very specific lighting conditions. What better way to show of Sideshow's replication of the character than to replicate those lighting conditions as best as one is able?

But it's a double-edged sword (if that analogy is appropriate) to use such exacting lighting as your sole means of illustrating these figures. If you make your figures look too good in the product pics, people will order them and expect them to look just that good right out of the box. Then you have disgruntled customers on your hands. :gah: And nobody wants that.

I think that Sideshow understands this. They achieve an excellent middle ground in their product pics -- perfectly illustrative of the actual product, but just dramatic enough to provoke an emotional response.

I agree you need both.

If you show the details that allows you to see that it represents the source. Doing the shadowy effects is just a way to make things pretty I think. It shows that in a nice photoshop job they fit in, but since virtually none of us have that type of display its nothing more than something nice to look at.

Some folks do. The thing is like I said most of us don't. I want to see the details, paint, extras, and how it will look in my display.

Its something I talked with Sideshow about during SDCC. Specifically the Dagobah hut and how its shown. I told them I liked the photos but wasn't sold on it entirely because the photos I thought didn't show enough detail and where too dark. It wasn't until I got a chance to see it in person that I was totally sold that it had all the details I wanted.

IMO you can do that with normal photos more. Terry does a pretty good job I think with his shots.

As I said you have to have a nice balance to sell to all parties involved.

But it's a double-edged sword (if that analogy is appropriate) to use such exacting lighting as your sole means of illustrating these figures. If you make your figures look too good in the product pics, people will order them and expect them to look just that good right out of the box. Then you have disgruntled customers on your hands. :gah: And nobody wants that.

I agree. Thats why I used the example of the hut. The shadowy pics took some of the detail away for me so I had to see it under normal light at the Con to see what I wanted and sort of how it will look in my display. Shadowy type pics make things look pretty not necessarily how its gonna look on display.

I think that Sideshow understands this. They achieve an excellent middle ground in their product pics -- perfectly illustrative of the actual product, but just dramatic enough to provoke an emotional response.

I agree they have done a good job of always mixing it well. Though I think with a few pieces maybe too far the other way.

:( Still no solution to finding the ex without paying 150$ <_<

Sideshow, accept paypal already! arg!

as i wrote before, sideshow will accept your order over the phone and wait until they receive your payment via international money order before shipping.

your solution is waiting, now it's up to you.

as i wrote before, sideshow will accept your order over the phone and wait until they receive your payment via international money order before shipping.

your solution is waiting, now it's up to you.

never used international money orders before.. sounds like a pain lol, I contacted them through email, awaiting a response :(

Cracked open the Emperor today...

*pic gone - I'll try again later...

My initial impressions are good...another great "old man" figure from Sideshow! Some better shots later after I get some sleep...

Last edited:
Cracked open the Emperor today...
Here's a "right-out-of-the-box" shot of him being greeted by Lord Vader...

< photo deleted >

Not the best looking shot, but I thought the idea would be fun.

My initial impressions are good...another great "old man" figure from Sideshow! Some better shots later after I get some sleep...

Looks like he's trying to cup Lord Vader. "Now cough my young apprentice...."

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree you need both.

If you show the details that allows you to see that it represents the source. Doing the shadowy effects is just a way to make things pretty I think. It shows that in a nice photoshop job they fit in, but since virtually none of us have that type of display its nothing more than something nice to look at.

Some folks do. The thing is like I said most of us don't. I want to see the details, paint, extras, and how it will look in my display.

Its something I talked with Sideshow about during SDCC. Specifically the Dagobah hut and how its shown. I told them I liked the photos but wasn't sold on it entirely because the photos I thought didn't show enough detail and where too dark. It wasn't until I got a chance to see it in person that I was totally sold that it had all the details I wanted.

IMO you can do that with normal photos more. Terry does a pretty good job I think with his shots.

As I said you have to have a nice balance to sell to all parties involved.

My point is, many want this figure, for example, to look just like McDiarmid in the movie. While the official shot show off details well, they don't show off how with futzing the robe can look like on screen and they don't show off the accurracy of the sculpt as well as a shot mirroring the ROTJ lighting. You need bot, but with the likeness retentive collector base that's taking over the hobby, I think showing the maximum film accurracy is key to keeping orders in a competitive market.

Yeah I guess that angle didn't quite work. Oh well...I'll try something else later...meanwhile, I'll ditch that shot...

Back