SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC 1/6 ROTJ Emperor and Throne - PPO 12/18 @ 10am PT

I already have padding with the Luke PF, Leonidas, and the other HT stuff I have coming. I think I can sacrifice for a free Emperor.

Depending on your situation though, I'd consider if using RP's for discount is worth the RP's you don't get for buying him. I usually save my RP's for full pieces or something I wouldn't spring for unless I could get it at a discount. I'm going to use this figure set to pad the points a good chunk.

So you mean the value of your points used versus the value you throw away using them?

You do have to figure the points you lose into the equation as well as part of the cost.

I don't have enough for a free figure myself, but I figure what I have might be worth whittling down the price a bit. The last time I used points was for the Palps 2-pack... so I've come full circle.

So you mean the value of your points used versus the value you throw away using them?

Yeah, I mean if you're only saving maybe 1/4 of the full price on something with points, you're probably better off not using them and getting the item's points, unless you really need to be able to save the small ammount, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hadn't really thought about RP... I've got $100 saved up. So, that would likely at least cover Palps if there is an exclusive.

If no exclusive I'll save them for the next exclusive figure I can't live w/o.

I have never seen the bust unhooded, is he completely bald at this age? if not is there any change in the hair from ROTS?

I have never seen the bust unhooded, is he completely bald at this age? if not is there any change in the hair from ROTS?

The bust is like he was in ROTS, hair from the mid-top of his head back.

I'm compiling reference again. I used to paint A LOT of Sidious heads on commission. I can't wait to get this one and put it under the brush.

One thing I like about the paint is it looks to be subtle with color around the eyes and not so hard defined like the sockets were in ROTS, I still don't get why the makeup guys did that in episode 3.

with all this talk about RP's it got me wondering how much money I have. Well, I don't know if I should be happy or shocked; $337.:duh

One thing I like about the paint is it looks to be subtle with color around the eyes and not so hard defined like the sockets were in ROTS, I still don't get why the makeup guys did that in episode 3.

I wondered about that too. Along with the thick neck piece, there's just a few things that are kind of over-designed there. But that sort of speaks to the whole PT.

I wondered about that too. Along with the thick neck piece, there's just a few things that are kind of over-designed there. But that sort of speaks to the whole PT.

I just assumed the neck was due to the age differences in McDiarmid, that he had a thinner, tigthter neck as a younger guy in Jedi and with his natural old man neck for Sith, the prosthetics just couldn't be made identical. I understood that change, but the eye sockets I couldn't there's not a shot in Jedi where they were so colorful, though the effect works for the "unlimited power" shot making him look evil.

Worst part was, his look differed depending on the scene.

Check out these shots:

Tan, fat Palpatine:
sith.jpg

Thin, pale, more ROTJ-style Palpatine:

Episode_3_Darth_Sidious_Lightsaber.jpg

Some of it had to do with his costume too, his Chancellor costumes had some pretty high riding, snug collars that seemed to puff him too. The worst was the senate scene where he turns the Republic into an Empire.

I remember the first time I saw this shot, a lot of Sidious shots before it were from the Yoda duel and I was lukewarm to him resembling Jedi, then I saw this and I felt much better, I was like ok, it's the Emperor.

darth_sidious_1.jpg

Yeah, sometimes he looked like the Emperor, and sometimes not. For me, the very end of the movie is when he looked the most like the ROTJ Emperor (arrival on Mustafar to the end of the film.)

Arrival_at_the_MedCenter.jpg

This shot also reminds me of the scene in ROTJ when he says, "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield..." and smiles. Mind you, one shot earlier in ROTS he had huge, ridiculous red rings around his eyes.

Insidious_Smile.jpg

Oh, if only Lucas paid 1/10th of the amount of attention as the fans do...

I just chalked it up to Palpy getting some much needed plastic surgery through the years. Unbeknowest to him, Mace's inflicted wounds were permanent and no surgeon could bring back his rosey glow. :(

Although I do see the difference, what is important to me, in the end, is that they have a great representation of the Emperor. And that, I think they have.

Back