SSC Duke 12 inch figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duke is based on a cartoon. For certain licenses, you have to give the artists leeway in their interpretation of the characters. The GI Joe Universe is based on cartoons and comics so I don't mind the exaggeration on features that some think look cartoony, I think it adds to the charm of the piece. However, could do without the return of the doll dot.

Duke is based on a cartoon. For certain licenses, you have to give the artists leeway in their interpretation of the characters. The GI Joe Universe is based on cartoons and comics so I don't mind the exaggeration on features that some think look cartoony, I think it adds to the charm of the piece. However, could do without the return of the doll dot.

True but they seem to have no qualms about trying to take Clone Wars characters and making them look more realistic instead of the cartoony characters they are rendered as.

Just curious, what would everyone think if these figures were all based on the original card art from the RAH figures? From gear and overall look on the sculpts themselves?

They would be perfect.

True but they seem to have no qualms about trying to take Clone Wars characters and making them look more realistic instead of the cartoony characters they are rendered as.

Oh man, I'm not even touching the SW subject. That is a sore subject for many on this board. I liked a few of the pieces and picked them up. Thank god I'm not a SW completist, though. That being said, I'm surprised no HT license for SW. Be interesting to see how they interpret those characters.

I would probably prefer it, on the whole. But generally, I think Sideshow has found a nice middle ground. So far, the imaginary characters (Red CC/Black Trooper), cruddy "Bradstreet" Cobra Commander, and Firefly are the only ones I really take any issue with. And of course, they all have their good points.

Would like to get an extra, more toy-accurate expression for Flint and Duke, though. But really, that's just a minor quibble.

I think the only issue I have would be the sculpts... It takes a little time to get used to these representations of the characters when your personal vision is a bit different... It's like reading a book then watching a film based on that book. I thought some aspects of LOTR was a little off at first but the films have become the definitive visual for me over time. I'm sure the same will happen with the SS line.

Anyway, I think figures based on the card art would be about as cool as GI Joe could get....

spinaltap11580.jpg

Oh man, I'm not even touching the SW subject. That is a sore subject for many on this board. I liked a few of the pieces and picked them up. Thank god I'm not a SW completist, though. That being said, I'm surprised no HT license for SW. Be interesting to see how they interpret those characters.

I absolutely agree with Sideshow's take on the Star Wars figures. They have an existing line of figures and are looking for the CW figures to fit within that line.

As for HT taking over, it would be a HUGE fail. 90% of the whining about Sideshow's 12" line is because entitlement crybabies want to see the figures they want made and when they're not, they get all tittybaby about it. That said, I can only imagine the amount of bull____ HT would be getting for releasing a less than perfect figure at the elevated price of HT MSRP + LFL Licensing fees. I won't even get into how shallowly HT dips into their licenses. Additionally, from what I've seen as a HT collector, they're having a hard enough time as it is with QC in the lines they're producing. Taking on a monster like Star Wars would be their demise.

Well we have that now with Sideshow so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

My wait list for the ex hasn't converted. Might have to go with the regular at this point. I'll wait till the end of the week and hope the retailers don't run out.

Back