SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Firefly?

don't get me wrong, i think i prefer it as a remote detonator.

Makes sense, he'd probably have one of those ultra-tiny headsets anyway these days, not a Zack Morris-style handset. Nice of Sideshow to keep the spirit of the original accessory while still keeping things contemporary.

Any chance they might include a cloth camo balaclava, instead of repainting the whole thing? People make 1/6th cloth balaclavas, right? I think I remember seeing a skull print one here somewhere...

What's funny is we can have post after post debating the curvature of Storm Trooper armor and the width/length of Vader's helmet but the Joe board is the subject of ridicule based on the fact that it was only a comic book or a cartoon.

Well, using your argument, you must have been pissed that we got what we got instead of a vintage figure accurate reproduction.

vintlandoloose.jpg
09.jpg

Well, using your argument, you must have been pissed that we got what we got instead of a vintage figure accurate reproduction.

vintlandoloose.jpg
09.jpg

Those are still the same costume though. :duh My argument was that what if they showed you the concept art for Bespin Lando and gave you smuggler duds Lando instead.

Get back to me when you've used one in the field. They're great for bikers, students, transvestites, etc. As a military app? Not so much. The bag doesn't stay put and likes to shimmy around with the major bulk of it resting just below the bracing arm so that it bugs the **** out of your elbow if you're aiming your rifle. Additionally, the shifting weight makes it extremely uncomfortable when running. Also, if that's the sole area where you store your magazines, reaching them becomes more time consuming and cumbersome when switching them out which, under fire, can result in meeting the little lead slug with your name on it, face to face. ;)

I use them on set all the time, mostly to carry all the firearms I'm in charge of when they aren't in an actor's hand, and even with all the weight, I've never had one get in my way. I don't know what you have been using, but all the ones I've seen are very well designed, and look pretty close to the packs that come with Duke and Firefly. What's more, judging by the vintage figures, both of these character's backpacks were sling sacks...

Those are still the same costume though. :duh My argument was that what if they showed you the concept art for Bespin Lando and gave you smuggler duds Lando instead.

Whqt do you mean? Where's Lando's grey vest? What's up with the orange/ blue cape? Why the heck does the shirt have dark blue cuffs???? Why aren't his boots the exact same colour as his pants?
:wacky

Makes sense, he'd probably have one of those ultra-tiny headsets anyway these days, not a Zack Morris-style handset. Nice of Sideshow to keep the spirit of the original accessory while still keeping things contemporary.

Back then, mobile phones were used primarily as detonators. Are we so sure that wasn't originally Hasbro's intent?

I use them on set all the time, mostly to carry all the firearms I'm in charge of when they aren't in an actor's hand, and even with all the weight, I've never had one get in my way. I don't know what you have been using, but all the ones I've seen are very well designed, and look pretty close to the packs that come with Duke and Firefly. What's more, judging by the vintage figures, both of these character's backpacks were sling sacks...

That's not even the same thing. You're thinking civi-minded. It's not practical for tactical ops. See if you can get a prop rifle, preferably an M16 variant. Run with the rifle at full guard (aimed), and make sure the pack's full. Next try swapping out a magazine with it slung awkwardly with the heavy part down, making sure the magazine pouches are up near your shoulder. Then try to imagine doing that while under fire. See if your story changes after that.

Last edited:

Wow, I don't collect this line, but I do remember the Firefly figure that a boy in my neighbourhood had (it was his favourite; mine was The Baroness) when I was little and I agree Sideshow has really screwed up this figure in an inexcusable fashion. I hope your petition works.

I looked at the concept art people keep mentioning and yeah, why did they deviate from that? It makes no sense from a business decision,. They have to know these will sell better the closer they adhere to the classic designs without looking dated.

Whqt do you mean? Where's Lando's grey vest? What's up with the orange/ blue cape? Why the heck does the shirt have dark blue cuffs???? Why aren't his boots the exact same colour as his pants?
:wacky

Well, I think what people are trying to say is they want figures based off of the original card art, and not necessarily the figure itself. Lando was based on his film appearence, not his original figure ;)

its sad when non property fans are trying to tell us we should be happy with something...

I think "300" is freaking lame and I'll say so, but I'd feel like an idiot trying to tell the "300" fans that an item is acceptable when a vast majority of the fans are saying its not.

Not sure why non GI Joe die hard fans are sticking up for SSC here.

It seems to me that the pieces that have adhered closest to the original figure/comic designs generate the highest level of approval from freaks.... SS really did their own thing with FF... I'm not really sure which camp I favor, old school or new SS flavor.... I'm also not sure if Firefly would be as obvious to an old school Joe fan while looking at him on my shelf.... that being said I like him, but would rather have Mando's custom if given the choice.

Back