SSC Firefly

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not even close. Hot Toys average $155 now and will be going up. Love or hate the pro, the rest of these figures are on par with Hot Toys.

I totally disagree with that. The level of detail just isn't there in the paint work or sculpting of the heads and the stitching and tailoring on all the cloth items is abysmal. The accessories for the most part look good but SSC also doesn't innovate nearly as often as HT. Hot Toys is always developing new bodies and methods. Not to mention SSC's consistent and long lived issue with quality problems with their bodies. HT has had issues with bodies I will not deny but it's not compared to the across the board issues SSC has had going back to the Buck.

I have to be honest though. This is based entirely on pictures, reviews, and the opinions of friends I trust. I haven't bought a Sideshow figure since Asajj Ventress.

Last edited:
I don't think Sideshow can compare with Hot Toys in many ways regarding their 12 inch figures--clothing, body, headsculpts. I think they have done a very good job with the Joes, but are they Hot Toys quality? No. As for the prices, it depends on the figures, but the low-end Hot Toys figures tend to go for $130ish whereas the lower-end Sideshow figures are creeping up to $100ish. There does seem to be about a $20-30 difference between the average Sideshow and Hot Toys figure, so I don't think this is too significant personally, price-wise. I do feel that I'm getting more of what I pay for with Hot Toys, whereas Sideshow figures do sometimes seem about $20 overpriced or so, though that's just my opinion.

But as Sideshow creeps up, Hot Toys is doing it, too. $170 for Michael Jackson? Objectively this is way too expensive for what it is, but I'll pay it because it is so freakin' awesome.

MJ seems like a good price to me considering spend another $30-$40 for the AA slim and you've got a whole nother figure and then it brings it down to basically $200 for 2 figures.

I totally disagree with that. The level of detail just isn't there in the paint work or sculpting of the heads and the stitching and tailoring on all the cloth items is abysmal. The accessories for the most part look good but SSC also doesn't innovate nearly as often as HT. Hot Toys is always developing new bodies and methods. Not to mention SSC's consistent and long lived issue with quality problems with their bodies. HT has had issues with bodies I will not deny but it's not compared to the across the board issues SSC has had going back to the Buck.

I have to be honest though. This is based entirely on pictures, reviews, and the opinions of friends I trust. I haven't bought a Sideshow figure since Asajj Ventress.

the truth of the body isssue is this. since it's first release, and with each subsequent release, the body has slowly improved. better joints, tighter joints, etc. the most recent release i recieved was Henery Jones, and his body is just as solid and sturdy as any Hot toys Truetype, and hangs EXTREMELY naturaly. it's creates a shiloute when clothed that is very simular to the slim shoulder version of the truetype.
in addition, there are FURTHEr innovations of the pro comming with Duke, with his taller body, with more broad shoulders, detailed forearms, and new mid-torso joint. Firefly is comming on the new regular version of the pro, with the slimmer shoulders, and new mid-torso joint. both bodies are taller than the standard pro.

this body is not very old yet. It's still relatively new, but i DO like where it is going.

On the subject of tailoring, I' say the joe uniforms in specific are some of THE BEST tailoring Sideshow's done. is the current tailoring jobs that Sideshow is putting out Better than hot toys? No, but recently it's been allmost as good in many cases, and in a few it's just as good. you've not gotten a sideshow release since Asajj?
Pick up a Vader, or a henery jones, and see what you think of their newest releases, THEN see if you don't change your mind.

Picked one up... thanks!

HA! everyone seems to be getting my dark Grey cammo.

Not even close. Hot Toys average $155 now and will be going up. Love or hate the pro, the rest of these figures are on par with Hot Toys.

You don't think $125 for a figure is coming close to $150. Especially when the detail, paintwork, tailoring, and particularly the bodies are superior on HT.:confused:

I think he was expecting a medal. :dunno

Perhaps he should get:

major-award.jpg

I'm really getting tired of all this HotToys poll squatting. Truth is, as most of us sensible collectors have said repeatedly, if HT was doing the Joe line, it'd run around $160-$180 and would likely be done already. The only real difference between the two companies now is the body. Buy a TT, swap the figure over and you've got a HT quality figure at $145, thus saving $15-$35.

I have to say I think SS is doing a fantastic job with the JOE line. I mean HT is a great company, but yeah as good as there figures are I think there overpriced. Personally, especially with Firefly, I think he looks awesome crappy mask or not. Just my 2 cents :)

Sideshow's interpretation makes him look like he's geared up for a paintball tournament.

FF3.jpg
Paintball.jpg

I have to say I think SS is doing a fantastic job with the JOE line. I mean HT is a great company, but yeah as good as there figures are I think there overpriced. Personally, especially with Firefly, I think he looks awesome crappy mask or not. Just my 2 cents :)

It's funny just how many people here seem to see it the opposite way.

Sideshow's interpretation makes him look like he's geared up for a paintball tournament.

FF3.jpg
Paintball.jpg

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Are they 100% on par, no. But there is still a big gap in price. SS has improved their figures greatly since Ventress came out. Sure a German Indy pops up here and there, but their GI Joe kicks ass all around.

You don't think $125 for a figure is coming close to $150. Especially when the detail, paintwork, tailoring, and particularly the bodies are superior on HT.:confused:

I think Sideshows $100 Cobra Trooper beats out the $150 Dutch. Hell, Vader at $125 is still the figure to beat this year IMHO.

I think both Hot Toys and Sideshow are overpriced, but probably equally so relative to what I feel these things should cost.

I don't have Cobra Trooper, but Dutch is a fantastic, beautiful toy, despite the rubber arms.

Back