SSC G.I. Joe Baroness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are reaching for something to dog the non-purists on. A cool interpretation is a cool interpretation. Card art be damned. It would be the same if I said you guys that want original card art would be silly if this action figure is the one we got but you all hated on it just because the card art was completely different.

Just like cool interpretation is cool interpretation, card art be damned, also, card art is card art, cool interpretation be damned. 6 of one...

You guys should be as glad as we are that the "cool interpretation" and the "card art" come together in this figure. Everyone wins. Figure sells well...line gets a shot in the arm.

To me, this just reiterates the reason that I want so badly for the figures to come with enough accessories to get a good vintage look or a good modern look.

All of this angst going on between the Freaks just because of vintage/modern preference is disappointing.

Like a corset on Harley Quinn?

Also, this Baroness figure is not dog-loyal to the card art. I'd say it's about as close as Zartan, Firefly or Storm Shadow (he being the least departed).

Like a corset on Harley Quinn?

Exactly. Didn't that piss off most Harley fans?

Also, this Baroness figure is not dog-loyal to the card art. I'd say it's about as close as Zartan, Firefly or Storm Shadow (he being the least departed).

I'm fine with them making adjustments as long as I can't tell what they are without looking at the figure side by side with the card art. This Baroness qualifies.

Okay, here's a debate for ya:

It's currently accepted that Baroness' name is Anastasia DeCobray.

But, when asked in issue 22, Bludd paused before uttering the name to Dr. Hundtkinder.

e5ajy9e6.jpg

So: is that a made-up name to keep her anonymous, or did he forget for a moment what her last name was, or did he know and wonder if he should give it before finally indeed saying it? Did Bludd EVER know her last name?

I prefer to think that her last name ISN'T DeCobray. That's just waaaaaaay too coincidental for me. I'd think if anything, she threw off her highborn status during her radical college years and created a new identity for herself (and that isn't DeCobray either). I like to think she's the European equivalent of a Hilton, a Bush, a Kennedy, or a Vanderbilt, and quite an embarrassment to her family.

Hmmm. there was that 3 part story in the 90's issues when she went after snake eyes because she thought he had killed her brother, check that for family name. She sold Bludd out after failed attempt to kill cobra commander using billy, i think?

The best ever story about her came from Battle Action Force and that went right back to the core reason she went evil. However it doesnt count for RAH

Exactly. Didn't that piss off most Harley fans?

It should have pissed off more than it has. Fewer hate it now than last year. She's a trainwreck, but the consensus is overwhelmingly posiitve.

Just goes to show, a majority is never right.

Khev said:
I'm fine with them making adjustments as long as I can't tell what they are without looking at the figure side by side with the card art. This Baroness qualifies.

I agree. Their Destro does not.

You guys are reaching for something to dog the non-purists on. A cool interpretation is a cool interpretation. Card art be damned. It would be the same if I said you guys that want original card art would be silly if this action figure is the one we got but you all hated on it just because the card art was completely different.

Just like cool interpretation is cool interpretation, card art be damned, also, card art is card art, cool interpretation be damned. 6 of one...

You guys should be as glad as we are that the "cool interpretation" and the "card art" come together in this figure. Everyone wins. Figure sells well...line gets a shot in the arm.

To me, this just reiterates the reason that I want so badly for the figures to come with enough accessories to get a good vintage look or a good modern look.

All of this angst going on between the Freaks just because of vintage/modern preference is disappointing.

What's wrong with just not liking a figure :dunno

As far as "cool interpretation is cool interpretation", that's all a matter of opinion. And the majority opinion on Destro is that it is not a "cool interpretation". If you like him though thats great cause you can buy it and have a Destro in your collection, so you should be happy and that's all that should matter.

Card art just isn't a 'cool' interpretation of the character.

Think of the outrage when HT forgets a mole.

That's insane. Faithful movie figures are completely different from adapting a 2 dimensional or toy version of something to 1/6. You have to make it more realistic.

A rivet-perfect representation of the 3 3/4 inch toy would look silly. Like movie costumes - some liberties must be taken.

That's insane. Faithful movie figures are completely different from adapting a 2 dimensional or toy version of something to 1/6. You have to make it more realistic.

A rivet-perfect representation of the 3 3/4 inch toy would look silly. Like movie costumes - some liberties must be taken.

Agreed, "some". But SS sometimes goes overboard like with Destro.

Except that there were NO rivets on the original 3 3/4" Destro helm. :lol

:lol

Go through the Joe custom threads here. People have had no problem translating the card artwork of soldiers into 1/6 figures. And we don't have multimillion dollar company resources.

Baroness, Hawk, Rock n Roll, Duke, Beachhead, Cobra Trooper. All were almost spot on figures by SS, but for Destro they went full retard.

:lol

Go through the Joe custom threads here. People have had no problem translating the card artwork of soldiers into 1/6 figures. And we don't have multimillion dollar company resources.

Baroness, Hawk, Rock n Roll, Duke, Beachhead, Cobra Trooper. All were almost spot on figures by SS, but for Destro they went full retard.

your points are valid.....but Destro full retard? come on, don't think so...liberties were taken here for sure,but it looks good and will look good in hand

Back