1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A day or two ago I got an email saying he would be arriving at the warehouse in approximately 9 days. Should be seeing photos soon.

Yeah I got an email saying my final payment will be processed on the 23rd...should ship shortly after:yess:

Where are those final prod pics that will make us all puke until well photographed, in hand photos start surfacing?

And then we puke at those...it is SSC

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I don’t understand why it’s so popular to hate on this company.

The differences between the proto and production Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China release definitely soured me on their releases. Also there's almost no reason to preorder their stuff without seeing the production versions since they make so many and takes forever to sell out.

The differences between the proto and production Jack Burton Big Trouble in Little China release definitely soured me on their releases. Also there's almost no reason to preorder their stuff without seeing the production versions since they make so many and takes forever to sell out.

...eh, Snowspeeder Luke? The Bounty Hunters? ...wait at your own risk.

...eh, Snowspeeder Luke? The Bounty Hunters? ...wait on your own risk.

I would doubt this figure will have the same sell-out risk as the BH and Luke Snowspeeder - those were unique, high-demand figs. This is a Sideshow version of a figure HT just did (and is doing a new version of with much the same accessories.) It's possible it's a quite low production number because of that, and it is a Luke, so I guess you never know, but I wasn't surprised at all with the BH and the Luke Snowspeeder - this one I would be.

I would doubt this figure will have the same sell-out risk as the BH and Luke Snowspeeder - those were unique, high-demand figs. This is a Sideshow version of a figure HT just did (and is doing a new version of with much the same accessories.) It's possible it's a quite low production number because of that, and it is a Luke, so I guess you never know, but I wasn't surprised at all with the BH and the Luke Snowspeeder - this one I would be.

I would too, just saying you can’t be sure.

I don’t understand why it’s so popular to hate on this company.

I honestly don’t even know where to start...

Let me just say that I only use Sideshow as a distributor nowadays. The days of buying actual Sideshow Collectibles products have long ended.

I want Jabba and just picked up their Han in Carbonite and their old Yoda hut. Really like them for their environment pieces to be honest — probe droid and e-web cannon were a couple of my first purchases.

Their 1/6 scale figures have been hit or miss but the general rule is to be wary of the human sculpts. Most of the bounty hunters looked good.

I want Jabba and just picked up their Han in Carbonite and their old Yoda hut. Really like them for their environment pieces to be honest — probe droid and e-web cannon were a couple of my first purchases.

Their 1/6 scale figures have been hit or miss but the general rule is to be wary of the human sculpts. Most of the bounty hunters looked good.

Agree. Sixth scale figures are generally judged by their human sculpts and SSC hasn’t done well in that department. When it comes to tailoring and alien sculpts its another story and, as I love the alien designs, most of my favorite figures are from SSC.

Just curious - which Sideshow 1/6 figures/products have you bought in the past say 7 years?

Bossk (both versions) - fine figure
IG88 (both versions) - ok figure
Boba Fett (1st version) - good figure
Luke Snowspeeder - great figure
ATAT Pilot - good figure
Darth Maul - good figure
Mythos Kenobi - great figure

Are they Hot Toys? Nope, but for $235 shipped this Luke is a good deal. I just think we need to stop looking at Sideshow for the same level of realism that Hot Toys delivers. I'm sure you would enjoy the hobby more, as these are technically just action figures after all.

Bossk (both versions) - fine figure
IG88 (both versions) - ok figure
Boba Fett (1st version) - good figure
Luke Snowspeeder - great figure
ATAT Pilot - good figure
Darth Maul - good figure
Mythos Kenobi - great figure

Are they Hot Toys? Nope, but for $235 shipped this Luke is a good deal. I just think we need to stop looking at Sideshow for the same level of realism that Hot Toys delivers. I'm sure you would enjoy the hobby more, as these are technically just action figures after all.

Do you work for Sideshow?:lol Considering they are in some cases more expensive than HT and they are sold side-by-side, I'm not sure why anyone would happily expect less and in many cases pay more. And I'm the guy who bought TWO Luke Snowspeeders ($270 anyone...?:lol)

All I'm meaning is that I have bought far more (probably at least three times more than you have - likely more) Sideshow figs in the past say 7 years - including many human figures, of which you've bought only two in all that time.

While I love the Snowspeeder Luke, the second head is close to useless. As is the second Han Hoth and Luke Hoth heads. And I would say that 3/4 of the Sideshow figures I have have had at least one quite significant quality issue - floppy bodies (Tusken, one of my Luke X's, BOTH sets of Jawas, many others), bad quality electronics (both my IG and my 3PO's electronics failed within maybe two years, one of my R2's as well and issues with the Probot.)

Yes, I've had a few issues with HT, but way, way less. And I enjoy the hobby just fine, while also being smart about quality and value - which I consistently challenge both HT and SSC on. That's what collectors who seek quality and value for money do. I don't give a **** about brand loyalty or even brands - I just look at what is being delivered and for what price. NEVER apologize for - or create a double standard for - a 1/6 company that charges what SSC does.:dunno

Do you work for Sideshow?:lol Considering they are in some cases more expensive than HT and they are sold side-by-side, I'm not sure why anyone would happily expect less and in many cases pay more. And I'm the guy who bought TWO Luke Snowspeeders ($270 anyone...?:lol)

All I'm meaning is that I have bought far more (probably at least three times more than you have - likely more) Sideshow figs in the past say 7 years - including many human figures, of which you've bought only two in all that time.

While I love the Snowspeeder Luke, the second head is close to useless. As is the second Han Hoth and Luke Hoth heads. And I would say that 3/4 of the Sideshow figures I have have had at least one quite significant quality issue - floppy bodies (Tusken, one of my Luke X's, BOTH sets of Jawas, many others), bad quality electronics (both my IG and my 3PO's electronics failed within maybe two years, one of my R2's as well and issues with the Probot.)

Yes, I've had a few issues with HT, but way, way less. And I enjoy the hobby just fine, while also being smart about quality and value - which I consistently challenge both HT and SSC on. That's what collectors who seek quality and value for money do. I don't give a **** about brand loyalty or even brands - I just look at what is being delivered and for what price. NEVER apologize for - or create a double standard for - a 1/6 company that charges what SSC does.:dunno

Not that I disagree with you at all. But! You also have to consider, when it comes to price and what not, that the more you sell the lower the production cost is on the individual piece. By that I mean: HT is mainly, if not solely, producing best sellers (probably even Death Star Gunner since it’s a trooper). You have to give a bit of extra patience to a company that produces figures like Dengar and 4-Lom. You know what I mean? They are produced in pretty low numbers and still we want the same quality for around the same price as a Jedi Luke for instance. It doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t up their game and produce a great human sculpt, I’m just saying that I do love a lot of their figures - especially since no one else would though the characters and I’m pretty sure they are pretty much doing us a favor producing for instance a Momaw Nadon. So yes, I’m not gonna hate on SSC either.

I've got quite a few SS figures and I'm pretty happy with nearly all of them. SS Boba Fett (V1) was my first SS sixth scale (before that I was mainly statues and GG mini busts). After I picked up a DX7 and DX11 I was firmly entrenched in sixth scale figures and haven't looked back. Floppy bodies have been a plague up until recently but I've managed to be able to work with those and get the poses I wanted. Their alien and robot figures are top notch although with the exception of Boosk their V1 versions are superior to the V2's which just baffles me. The recent Hot Toys troopers have been a big step up from the old SS troopers, but those troopers are nearly a decade old and the manufacturing processes and paint apps have improved dramatically in that time. That said I still have my SS Sandtroopers on display and the variety, I think, actually improves the display as it was a pretty motley bunch in the OT anyway. The last series of clone troopers were pretty awesome.

SS human head sculpts are wanting however. These days it tends to be the paint apps letting them down. The Hoth figures actually had pretty good sculpts but SS's experimentation with separate eyeballs distorted those sculpts and made the figures bug eyed. It's a shame as SS was on the verge of greatness (cue Krennic) with that wave of figures. I still really enjoy the Hoth figures but need to pose them in a way that the face isn't front on. Personally my favourite SS human head is Rex (ARC). It has a beautiful sculpt and a great paint app and is only let down by an unnecessary hair seam.

SS accessories and environments are pretty darn good. I'm lucky enough to have the Dewback, Taun Taun, probot (v1) and Eweb. I'm kicking myself I didn't pick up the cantina environment which is pretty much beyond my grasp now. I'd like the new Jabba but price and space limitations hold me back on that.

My favourite SS Star Wars sixth scales figures would be:

1. Snowspeeder Luke (possibly my favourite sixth scale Star Wars figure - helmeted of course)
2. Momaw Nadon (naturally)
3. Tuskin Raiders
4. Dengar
5. ARC 2 Rex (displayed with helmet on)
6. ARC Echo & Fives (displayed with helmets on) (I'm cheating with this one because these figures were separate releases - the phase 1 version are also pretty good)
7. IG-88 (v1)
8. Jawa's (v1) (even with the floppy bodies these little guys are amazing and versatile - they are almost environment pieces and I'd get more if the V2 robes weren't so bad)

Honorable mentions go to the OT Tie Fighter Pilot, At-At Driver, Snowtrooper Commander, 4 Lom, Zukass and the Deluxe Clone Trooper (and variants of this). Of the above I only had floppy body issues with the Tuskins and Jawa's.

I'm pretty darn comfortable plonking down my hard earned on SS alien figures at the preorder stage, but the human ones like this I generally wait for in hand. That cost me on the Snowspeeder Luke as I had to pay full retail to get one before they sold out but most of the time they are available after release and reviews. I bought the Evil Dead 2 Ash after the reviews but passed on Jack Burton (I'm still mad at SS for messing that one up so bad).

Yeah, just to be clear - this thread is for a human hero Sideshow figure. That's what started - and has been the consistent point - in this conversation. I don't think anyone is arguing that (floppy bodies or some QC issues aside) that Sideshow isn't capable of delivering the goods on a creature or a robot or armored/helmeted fig (notwisthstanding occasional wonky issues like Boba V.1's boxy vest or Bossk V.1's fat limbs and overall proportions.) They occasionally miss accuracy-wise even on those armored figs (ATAT driver and Biker Scout both had helmet sculpt issues) but so does HT in both sculpt (stormtrooper) and overall (Imperial Gunner.)

The core point in this is a hero human figure, and how Sideshow has delivered - or not - on human heads on previous releases, even quite recent releases.

I've always been 100% clear that I believe that on outfits/weapons/accessories Sideshow is pretty much on-par with HT, so the outfit aspects of this figure I have no doubt will rock. The question is why, after all these years, Sideshow is not able to deliver human heads that are on-par with HT or even the basic 1/6 industry standard - say DID military figures.

We can talk about creatures and robots and armored, but the simple fact remains - Sideshow has a strange, enduring and seemingly insurmountable problem in delivering human heads that are as good as we've come to expect, not just from HT but from lesser companies like DID.

And if we don't keep calling them on it, and saying **** like "I just think we need to stop looking at Sideshow for the same level of realism that Hot Toys delivers" it gets you less than nowhere. It gets you more of the same, except for $290 instead of $260 (and two years ago I would have said $260 instead of $220/230.)

I paid $270 for a Luke Snowspeeder (twice) and got a non-helmet head that was next to useless - that should NOT happen. Same thing happened with Luke and Han Hoth ($200 each.) Something has to change.

Yeah, just to be clear - this thread is for a human hero Sideshow figure. That's what started - and has been the consistent point - in this conversation. I don't think anyone is arguing that (floppy bodies or some QC issues aside) that Sideshow isn't capable of delivering the goods on a creature or a robot or armored/helmeted fig (notwisthstanding occasional wonky issues like Boba V.1's boxy vest or Bossk V.1's fat limbs and overall proportions.) They occasionally miss accuracy-wise even on those armored figs (ATAT driver and Biker Scout both had helmet sculpt issues) but so does HT in both sculpt (stormtrooper) and overall (Imperial Gunner.)

The core point in this is a hero human figure, and how Sideshow has delivered - or not - on human heads on previous releases, even quite recent releases.

I've always been 100% clear that I believe that on outfits/weapons/accessories Sideshow is pretty much on-par with HT, so the outfit aspects of this figure I have no doubt will rock. The question is why, after all these years, Sideshow is not able to deliver human heads that are on-par with HT or even the basic 1/6 industry standard - say DID military figures.

We can talk about creatures and robots and armored, but the simple fact remains - Sideshow has a strange, enduring and seemingly insurmountable problem in delivering human heads that are as good as we've come to expect, not just from HT but from lesser companies like DID.

And if we don't keep calling them on it, and saying **** like "I just think we need to stop looking at Sideshow for the same level of realism that Hot Toys delivers" it gets you less than nowhere. It gets you more of the same, except for $290 instead of $260 (and two years ago I would have said $260 instead of $220/230.)

I paid $270 for a Luke Snowspeeder (twice) and got a non-helmet head that was next to useless - that should NOT happen. Same thing happened with Luke and Han Hoth ($200 each.) Something has to change.

giphy.gif

Maul is the only “human” I think they captured well......

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Back