1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, just to be clear - this thread is for a human hero Sideshow figure. That's what started - and has been the consistent point - in this conversation. I don't think anyone is arguing that (floppy bodies or some QC issues aside) that Sideshow isn't capable of delivering the goods on a creature or a robot or armored/helmeted fig (notwisthstanding occasional wonky issues like Boba V.1's boxy vest or Bossk V.1's fat limbs and overall proportions.) They occasionally miss accuracy-wise even on those armored figs (ATAT driver and Biker Scout both had helmet sculpt issues) but so does HT in both sculpt (stormtrooper) and overall (Imperial Gunner.)

The core point in this is a hero human figure, and how Sideshow has delivered - or not - on human heads on previous releases, even quite recent releases.

I've always been 100% clear that I believe that on outfits/weapons/accessories Sideshow is pretty much on-par with HT, so the outfit aspects of this figure I have no doubt will rock. The question is why, after all these years, Sideshow is not able to deliver human heads that are on-par with HT or even the basic 1/6 industry standard - say DID military figures.

We can talk about creatures and robots and armored, but the simple fact remains - Sideshow has a strange, enduring and seemingly insurmountable problem in delivering human heads that are as good as we've come to expect, not just from HT but from lesser companies like DID.

And if we don't keep calling them on it, and saying **** like "I just think we need to stop looking at Sideshow for the same level of realism that Hot Toys delivers" it gets you less than nowhere. It gets you more of the same, except for $290 instead of $260 (and two years ago I would have said $260 instead of $220/230.)

I paid $270 for a Luke Snowspeeder (twice) and got a non-helmet head that was next to useless - that should NOT happen. Same thing happened with Luke and Han Hoth ($200 each.) Something has to change.

giphy.gif

I've got quite a few SS figures and I'm pretty happy with nearly all of them. SS Boba Fett (V1) was my first SS sixth scale (before that I was mainly statues and GG mini busts). After I picked up a DX7 and DX11 I was firmly entrenched in sixth scale figures and haven't looked back. Floppy bodies have been a plague up until recently but I've managed to be able to work with those and get the poses I wanted. Their alien and robot figures are top notch although with the exception of Boosk their V1 versions are superior to the V2's which just baffles me. The recent Hot Toys troopers have been a big step up from the old SS troopers, but those troopers are nearly a decade old and the manufacturing processes and paint apps have improved dramatically in that time. That said I still have my SS Sandtroopers on display and the variety, I think, actually improves the display as it was a pretty motley bunch in the OT anyway. The last series of clone troopers were pretty awesome.

SS human head sculpts are wanting however. These days it tends to be the paint apps letting them down. The Hoth figures actually had pretty good sculpts but SS's experimentation with separate eyeballs distorted those sculpts and made the figures bug eyed. It's a shame as SS was on the verge of greatness (cue Krennic) with that wave of figures. I still really enjoy the Hoth figures but need to pose them in a way that the face isn't front on. Personally my favourite SS human head is Rex (ARC). It has a beautiful sculpt and a great paint app and is only let down by an unnecessary hair seam.

SS accessories and environments are pretty darn good. I'm lucky enough to have the Dewback, Taun Taun, probot (v1) and Eweb. I'm kicking myself I didn't pick up the cantina environment which is pretty much beyond my grasp now. I'd like the new Jabba but price and space limitations hold me back on that.

My favourite SS Star Wars sixth scales figures would be:

1. Snowspeeder Luke (possibly my favourite sixth scale Star Wars figure - helmeted of course)
2. Momaw Nadon (naturally)
3. Tuskin Raiders
4. Dengar
5. ARC 2 Rex (displayed with helmet on)
6. ARC Echo & Fives (displayed with helmets on) (I'm cheating with this one because these figures were separate releases - the phase 1 version are also pretty good)
7. IG-88 (v1)
8. Jawa's (v1) (even with the floppy bodies these little guys are amazing and versatile - they are almost environment pieces and I'd get more if the V2 robes weren't so bad)

Honorable mentions go to the OT Tie Fighter Pilot, At-At Driver, Snowtrooper Commander, 4 Lom, Zukass and the Deluxe Clone Trooper (and variants of this). Of the above I only had floppy body issues with the Tuskins and Jawa's.

I'm pretty darn comfortable plonking down my hard earned on SS alien figures at the preorder stage, but the human ones like this I generally wait for in hand. That cost me on the Snowspeeder Luke as I had to pay full retail to get one before they sold out but most of the time they are available after release and reviews. I bought the Evil Dead 2 Ash after the reviews but passed on Jack Burton (I'm still mad at SS for messing that one up so bad).

I sense that we share favorites :) ...but I really think that Bossk v2 is a lot better than v1 - though the color might be too dark. It’s shelf presence is just so much stronger. I just couldn’t stand looking at that mustard color and dead eyes of v1. I have both now (need to sell my v1) and would never go back to displaying v1 again.

I sense that we share favorites :) ...but I really think that Bossk v2 is a lot better than v1 - though the color might be too dark. It’s shelf presence is just so much stronger. I just couldn’t stand looking at that mustard color and dead eyes of v1. I have both now (need to sell my v1) and would never go back to displaying v1 again.

Oh I agree. I said with the exception of Bossk the V1's are generally better. I'd like to grab a V2 Bossk but just can't justify the cost at the moment with so many other figures I want. I'd probably swap the V1 outfit onto it if I did. I much prefer the V2 headsculpt.

Oh I agree. I said with the exception of Bossk the V1's are generally better. I'd like to grab a V2 Bossk but just can't justify the cost at the moment with so many other figures I want. I'd probably swap the V1 outfit onto it if I did. I much prefer the V2 headsculpt.

Aaaah, sorry! I misunderstood that :) then we agree on the whole thing ;-)

SSC human sculpts have always, in my humble opinion, looked very stylized like a cartoon. Great for comic book versions of characters, cartoon characters like the GI Joe series but when it comes to movie versions of real life actors they fall short.

I’ve always said they are great for a very expensive kit bash. I used the Luke X-wing as a kit bash. Sold off everything but the uniform and replaced the body, head, hands, and even the stand with HT. Same thing I did with my Hoth Luke. There are some that aren’t necessary for that like Maul, and padawan Obi Wan but for the most part they just don’t fit into my collection next to HT figures.

Aliens and Robots and helmeted troopers seem just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly I still don’t even know why they made this figure. Just so stupid to waste resources on a figure that not only looks good, but that had a Hot Toys equivalent when it went up and now has a second Hot Toys figure to compete with.

Frankly I still don’t even know why they made this figure. Just so stupid to waste resources on a figure that not only looks good, but that had a Hot Toys equivalent when it went up and now has a second Hot Toys figure to compete with.

They probably made it to complement their ROTJ Vader.

They probably made it to complement their ROTJ Vader.

Yeah but that was released years back and even the updated rerelease is a couple of years old at this point too right? It’s like they forgot they were making it and then decided to put it out to compete with the HT version.
They should have done what they did for their Yoda and wait for the HT sell out and then put theirs up, ready to ship.

That Vader is already pretty old. They’ve re-released it a few times, but it originally was out before Hot Toys even had the Star Wars license if I recall correctly. This Luke was just an oddity as to why they chose to put it out.

That SSC ROTJ Vader is so old there's a full-figure knock-off of it on eBay for like $100.

It's like a five year old figure.

Yeah but that was released years back and even the updated rerelease is a couple of years old at this point too right? It’s like they forgot they were making it and then decided to put it out to compete with the HT version.
They should have done what they did for their Yoda and wait for the HT sell out and then put theirs up, ready to ship.

I have it on good authority that this Luke was supposed to come out years ago, but was put on hold. Funny how that works.

Back