1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think either of them looks much like Hamill. The round headed, mouth-breather HT produced is once again very idealized, when by the time ROTJ came out, Hamill was looking pretty rough road. I think the SS has a more accurately rough sculpt, killed by their usual flat paint apps.

Interesting. Was waiting to see how the in hand products would compare. I guess pretty much as expected. SS looks like an action figure based on a cartoon version of a character. HT, while not for everyone, was the right choice for me. Each has it's own good and bad points, but for me, I have to go with the better head sculpt. If the body proportions aren't 100% accurate to real life, so be it. I left my HT as is. Im not invested enough in overall 100% accuracy to start chopping up his clothes and body padding.

That said...I hope everyone is ultimately as happy as they can be with their purchase. For what we pay for these figures, we all deserve to love what we buy!

The hair is sculpted better on the HT’s. It flows naturally like a real hair, especially the bangs of the hair. What falls short of the SS is the bang looks thick and clunky like how it’s done in cartoons. Plus the paint job is kinda flat. I guess it differs when you have the master painter inside the factory and the head company 2 hours away from the factory. While SS is half way across the world, the master painter in Korea and the production in China.

The hair is sculpted better on the HT’s. It flows naturally like a real hair, especially the bangs of the hair. What falls short of the SS is the bang looks thick and clunky like how it’s done in cartoons. Plus the paint job is kinda flat. I guess it differs when you have the master painter inside the factory and the head company 2 hours away from the factory. While SS is half way across the world, the master painter in Korea and the production in China.

Hmm. The Hot Toys hair is one of my nitpicks with the figure. I think it looks too "puffy". Reminds me of 2008 Justin Bieber.

attachment.php

The sculpt sorta looks like Ryan Reynolds, does anyone else see that? :lol

LUKE.jpg

HT's sculpt isn't 100%, but comparing to Hamill, they have so much more right, and Sideshow's is more off than it seemed.

SIDESHOW

CON
- Eyebrows too thin.
- Bridge of the nose too thin.
- Eye shape wrong.
- Lip shape wrong.

PRO
- Jawline.

------------------------------

HOT TOYS

CON
- Jawline
- Pale skintone.
- Eye color too dark a shade of blue.

PRO
- Eye shape.
- Nose shape.
- Lip shape.
- Overall facial proportions and features except for the jawline.

I am disappointed in the headsculpt. However, between this and the HT version you should be able to get two nice Luke figures by mixing and matching parts.

If you still have the black Jedi outfit from the 2008 Luke, you could use that under the Endor poncho and have 3 Lukes.

SSC helmet sculpt for Endor Luke, SSC sculpt(hood up) Jabba's palace, HT sculpt for final duel Luke.

At least this is my plan.

Sideshow's sculpt isn't great but what really hurt is paint application again. That hair color looks really dull. Otherwise, it seems the outfit transitioned from proto to production without any trouble.

Hot Toys paint wouldn't make the likeness better, maybe make the overall head look more alive, but the likeness is lost in sculpting detail.

The Sideshow head almost has the look of a resized Hasbro 6" figure. Something about the skintone, hair sculpt and flatness of the hair paint app that feels a bit 6". It's a decent enough raw sculpt and paint app overall for a Sideshow head, but I really don't see much Hamill in there likeness-wise.

interested to see side-by-sides of the outfit though. While I like the single layer of pleather on the Sideshow (versus the lapped pleather on the HT,) the buckle, belt width and rivets all look better on the HT.

Well, I already committed to this one, so I guess hood up-head down Luke in Jabba's throne room is the way I'll be displaying this. Too bad they can't find a different factory for their human figures. How is it they can have someone overseeing Jabba so closely for QC, but they let the main character slide like he's unimportant...

Back