1/6 SSC ROTJ Luke Skywalker Deluxe Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you only want human hero figures and troopers then you’d be fine with only HT doing SW. If you want anyone to deal with background characters and aliens, then well, Sideshow are the only ones giving us that. They just made a fantastic Jabba. So no, if I want my favorite SW figures made, then please ss keep doing sixth scale Star Wars. I can get my human figures from HT anyways.

I agree. I can't imagine my SW figures without Snowspeeder Luke, AT-AT Driver, TIE Pilot, Snowie Commander, Probe Droid, Speeder Bike & Scout and the Bounty Hunters including human sculpt Dengar. This Luke isn't a particularly good figure (or any kind of good to be honest) but I like SSC's offering in the most part. I was looking at Mythos Ban in my local comic shop and he looked good too.

WufITI2.jpg

That is terrible.
Those arms on the SSC. It looks like it was tailored for a HT Arnie body, lol.
Badly sized head, badly sculpted hair, horribly tailored tunic and trousers. That belt looks like it's about to fall off, and the lightsaber looks like a gift inside a Kinder egg...
We all know that the HT is far from perfect, but the SS is so wide of the mark(No pun intended), i wonder why they keep trying.
They must have had hundreds of cancellations just in the last few days.

Here the thing, SSC could fit a market for the collector with less disposable income.

They could sell tons of these at the 100-150 range. They got greedy and think they can compete with HT on humans...

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Like what you like :dunno

This is not really one of those situations though, some subjective thing. The HT collar is clearly a better match for Luke's ROTJ costume. You could say you like the entire jumpsuit better I suppose, and you did. But I can't see how anyone could look at the Sideshow collar and deem it superior?

I always believe that everyone's opinions, no matter how different they might be from mine, should be respected. I still feel that way, but this thread is putting that to it's roughest test, lol.

"Sideshow definitely gives a much better headsculpt to Mark Hamill than Hot Toys does. All it needs is some repainting, custom hair designed, made, and painted, some futzing with the cape and hood (so Luke isn't wearing it, different boots, a better painted lightsaber hilt, new arms, and different pants, along with a totally different figure, and it would be a perfect Luke figure". As some other said above...I'm just not seeing what they are seeing. Why let Sideshow off the hook for this figure for what they charged for it? It's bad. Ugh...it's so bad. Just looking at the headsculpts side by side it's obvious how bad that sculpt is before even diving into anything else.

Hot Toys is far from perfect but the figure as shipped is rather presentable. The Sideshow shouldn't take a new head sculpt, tailored clothes, a different saber, a different belt, a different pretty much everything to be presentable. Sideshow is going to make a mint off of the $25 non-refundable deposits, but I guess it's better, at least for me it was, than losing $260 for a figure and trying to convince someone it's worth buying from me.

Here the thing, SSC could fit a market for the collector with less disposable income.

They could sell tons of these at the 100-150 range. They got greedy and think they can compete with HT on humans...

This is exactly what lots of people were saying when the Hoth Han and Luke figures dropped. Sideshow had marked those up to $200 each which was about the HT rate and had previewed a Luke X-wing for $240 which was almost unheard of for 1/6 at the time. Most people expected their Hoth figs to be a huge step up from Sideshow at the time but what we got was of course similar to what we had been getting before, just at a significantly higher price. What a $*** show the boards were here when in-hand images of those Hoth figures started leaking out.

Of course there is no way Sideshow will ever walk back their prices now, they would probably stop making 1/6 before that happens.

I always believe that everyone's opinions, no matter how different they might be from mine, should be respected. I still feel that way, but this thread is putting that to it's roughest test, lol.

"Sideshow definitely gives a much better headsculpt to Mark Hamill than Hot Toys does. All it needs is some repainting, custom hair designed, made, and painted, some futzing with the cape and hood (so Luke isn't wearing it, different boots, a better painted lightsaber hilt, new arms, and different pants, along with a totally different figure, and it would be a perfect Luke figure". As some other said above...I'm just not seeing what they are seeing. Why let Sideshow off the hook for this figure for what they charged for it? It's bad. Ugh...it's so bad. Just looking at the headsculpts side by side it's obvious how bad that sculpt is before even diving into anything else.

Hot Toys is far from perfect but the figure as shipped is rather presentable. The Sideshow shouldn't take a new head sculpt, tailored clothes, a different saber, a different belt, a different pretty much everything to be presentable. Sideshow is going to make a mint off of the $25 non-refundable deposits, but I guess it's better, at least for me it was, than losing $260 for a figure and trying to convince someone it's worth buying from me.

There is a guy in this thread who flat out(Maybe two weeks ago or so), said that the SS release was "1000x better" than the HT one. He recently amended it to 100x better, but has since said that the HT wins in most areas, lol.
I wonder if those $25 deposits actually covers the full cost of the figure, lol.

I wouldn't pay anything for that.

Yes, very good point. Maybe around the $100-$120 mark, the figure would be decent for those who want something nicer than the 6inch Hasbro Black figures, but can't justify going $260 + shipping for a figure. That would be realistic. But to pump out this figure as it is, and charge what they did, it just doesn't make sense. The quality is so below what one should rightfully expect for $260, it's baffling. In some ways I hope Sideshow takes a bath on this figure, because they really shouldn't be rewarded with sales for something this mediocre.

There is a guy in this thread who flat out(Maybe two weeks ago or so), said that the SS release was "1000x better" than the HT one. He recently amended it to 100x better, but has since said that the HT wins in most areas, lol.
I wonder if those $25 deposits actually covers the full cost of the figure, lol.

As I felt to any post suggesting that SS is better in any capacity than HT, I'll continue to use what someone said pages back...."I'm just not seeing what they are seeing".

Im wondering, out of weird curiosity, if there were any other Star Wars figures recently that missed the mark as badly as this one. I think the warning signs were there from the start, as the head sculpt images prior to release never stopped looking like a weird Matt Damon face to me...but then it's released and just completely misses the mark on so many things. ROTJ was my Luke growing up, so I'm taking this release comically personal for how bad it ended up.

I canceled my pre order, and I was really sold on this figure, I even thought the proto looked better than the hot toys figure. But this is a joke and sideshow should be ashamed of themselves, there is no justification for the price they are asking for a figure produced that looks this far off from the prototype. I am officially done with Sideshow now. I really wanted to believe they were making improvements to their 1/6 figures but this was the last nail in the coffin. Since they cannot get their $*** together I'm just done defending them and we as a community need to boycott this sub standard treatment, and their company. I refuse to be deceived like this and over charged too, nah I'm good I will only buy hot toys from here on out.

They should do a recall or a refund to those who payed for these, at least a second release that fixes all the issues for those who still want to continue to support Sideshow. What a disaster. The worst figure of the year anyone?

Well...the way folks are carrying on in here, you'd think this was the difference between the Hot Toys and the Sideshow Luke figures...

HTvSS.jpg

Just adding a little levity here.... :)

Well...the way folks are carrying on in here, you'd think this was the difference between the Hot Toys and the Sideshow Luke figures...

View attachment 442089

Yes, people need to let some steam off it seems :) ...but to be fair, this release is not worth half of what they charge. (That said I’m not a fan of the HT version either, but still it’s way better than this). I guess the rule with SSC, as they do have great releases like Jabba and Snowspeeder Luke, that you shouldn’t pre order... unless it’s a character that HT would never do - aliens. I’d be pre ordering SSC aliens in a heartbeat.

I definitely agree with what seems to be the consensus that Sideshow should stick to aliens, creatures, helmeted figures, environment pieces, and vehicle type stuff. Anything that doesn't require a full human head with hair. Their Mythos Kenobi was an OK sculpt, not HT level but it works because they didn't need to exactly nail a particular human likeness. I certainly don't want them to stop producing figures, but unless they really improve their human sculpts(and it's been years now with not much progress) they should select their production figures based off of their known limitations.

Yes, people need to let some steam off it seems :) ...but to be fair, this release is not worth half of what they charge. (That said I’m not a fan of the HT version either, but still it’s way better than this). I guess the rule with SSC, as they do have great releases like Jabba and Snowspeeder Luke, that you shouldn’t pre order... unless it’s a character that HT would never do - aliens. I’d be pre ordering SSC aliens in a heartbeat.

I definitely agree with what seems to be the consensus that Sideshow should stick to aliens, creatures, helmeted figures, environment pieces, and vehicle type stuff. Anything that doesn't require a full human head with hair. Their Mythos Kenobi was an OK sculpt, not HT level but it works because they didn't need to exactly nail a particular human likeness. I certainly don't want them to stop producing figures, but unless they really improve their human sculpts(and it's been years now with not much progress) they should select their production figures based off of their known limitations.

:goodpost:

View attachment 442089

Lol, but the thing is...it pretty much is. Those side by side pics where the SS Luke's belt looks like it's ready to fall off, the crappy painted saber, the cloak with the giant stitching down the middle, the jacked up face...I mean is there seriously anything redeeming about this figure when you take the $260 price point?

They should have done a different figure so there’s no direct comparison or competition for that character.

And they should charge around $120-160. It’d be like the Honda line of figures vs Hot Toys’ deluxe Mercedes line.

Back