STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3D is dead.

I'm seeing this tomorrow. Was looking forward, thinking if any movie was suited for 3D it was Star Wars. I even figured Lucas would make extra effort to rally WOW us. Clearly, that's not the case. Just another way to get into fans wallets.

Lucas has really surprised me over the last 13 years or so. He was such a hero when I was young. Seemed like such a genius. Now, seems like just a greedy and lazy old man exploiting his early moment of genius to its full extent. Growing older sucks.

At least we got the original STAR WARS and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK out of him before he got old and started sucking. :hi5:

I watched the film this afternoon. Mind you, I am not a fan of PT but they had moments (ie TPM - Darth Maul). 3D affect like the prequels had moments but overall it was just good having SW on the BIG screen again were it belongs. Everyone has their own opinion, mine is I am glad I went. :dunno

Movies that are made in 3D post production, are always crap (3D wise). They have to be shot in 3D for a good experience. The only ones they can get away with having good 3D post production, are the animated ones. Even then, some struggled to look good.

This will be my first 3d movie. Not looking forward to it. Also this is the first midnight showing I have missed from all the way from 97.

OMG... after thinking back to how awesome the 3D in Transformers Dark of the Moon was, can you guys imagine if they ever make a NEW star wars movie in 3D? wow. Can you smell box office?

And while George Lucas has made questionable decisions lately, he is still somewhat of a hero of mine. His intentions are always his own and I give him credit for that.... as an artist. So he's a hero in that regard that he does what pleases him.

He also committed to donating nearly half of his fortune to charity. That's no small amount of change.

He fronted the money to make Red Tails when all the studios didn't want to. I personally wish he found a better director but I admire that he got it done and that he gave black filmmakers and actors a chance to shine.

And lastly.. he has a sense of humor. He's totally okay with Robot Chicken, The Simpsons, Family Guy parodies and so forth. He embraces the fan-boy fun of it as long as its in good taste. Most heads of companies would be quick to sue and make sure things like that don't happen.

So, while he's made less than good movies and it sucks as a fan to have to defend Star Wars, it really is an INCREDIBLE time to be a Star Wars fan. There's so much amazing stuff out there and it's not just "pop culture" anymore. It's all-culture and I was anti-Clone Wars in the beginning, but I'm thankful it exists and is surprisingly GREAT.

And that's all because of George Lucas. He's still a hero to me, but damn... let's not let him direct anymore.

Movies that are made in 3D post production, are always crap (3D wise). They have to be shot in 3D for a good experience. The only ones they can get away with having good 3D post production, are the animated ones. Even then, some struggled to look good.

Not true. Clash of the Titans looked good and it was done in post.

I assume the OT we will see in theaters will be the editted version?

I would love to see the OT in theaters as it was when it was first released.. :(

The only movie turned into 3-D that I can think of that was done perfectly was Nightmare Before Christmas. They didn't just move flat objects forward or back with 3-D effects, but every texture and shape has depth.

Correct me if anybody knows; was Nightmare originally shot in 3-D, but originally released in 2-D?

There was nothing good about the 3d in Clash of the Titans...in my opinion.
It was nice to see it on the big screen, but the 3d effects were limited and very subtle. I suspect the two digital prequels will fair better because of the digital filming...better depth conversion.
When we see movies like Avatar and Hugo in 3d...then see Phantom Menace, it is a let down given all the talk and delay with getting it right from george.

It looked like ass.

The only movie turned into 3-D that I can think of that was done perfectly was Nightmare Before Christmas. They didn't just move flat objects forward or back with 3-D effects, but every texture and shape has depth.

Correct me if anybody knows; was Nightmare originally shot in 3-D, but originally released in 2-D?

Like I said, animated.

I was going to see it for ____s and giggles but the re-release isn't any where near me. :lol

Really surprised.

quick thoughts:

nice to see it on the big screen again and actually enjoyed the film more than i thought i would but 3d was rubbish.
actually made the film look worse if anything- but i havent seen a film filmed in 3d yet so cant write the concept of completely -

Actually Nightmare Before Christmas was stop-motion, not animated. Corpse Bride was animated.

Jesus, semantics man. They are still in the same category. Shrek was computer animation while some of the old cartoons were hand drawn. They are still an animated film. I wasn't going to break down every single style :slap

Back