STAR WARS: EP. I--The Phantom Menace in 3D: 2/10/12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I saw Alice 3D, I knew what to expect from a threedimensional movie, thought that was how it was meant. As said so correctly above, the 3D added just some depth to TPM and I was really disappointed. In fact I was expecting some blasts in my way, some pod racer bits flying right towards my face etc. isn't it called threedimensional instead of 3 times more Depth?

Yah, I could have done without the explanation of midichlorians but I don't mind it having a name. I didn't mind that they tested Anakin and that he has more midis than Yoda... it was kind of a neat revelation that proposes what his potential is.

But yah, I could have done without the explanation of it. Leave some mystery to it.

TPM also overcomplicated the force ghosts thing by having Qui-Gon's body not disappear. Like the midichlorian thing, just not something that required any explanation. And even within the unnecessary elaboration of that whole thing - if Qui-gon is the one who discovers how to live on after death as a spirit it seems to make even less sense that his body didn't disappear like Obi-wan's and Yoda's.

just got back from movies, i liked that the 3d wasn't extreme, simply added depth

I just got back from watching this... I thought after at least 7 years of not watching it may have been like seeing it for the first time, and it was... just as awful as the first time around.

I honestly have no idea what Lucas was thinking when he was "directing" this travesty... the only thing redeeming is the lightsaber fight at the end... then he kills one of the only new characters (Maul) you actually would like to see again and replaces him with Dracula... this movie is crap and will always be that.

The Phantom Menace should be used as the new waterboarding.

M.

I just got back from watching this... I thought after at least 7 years of not watching it may have been like seeing it for the first time, and it was... just as awful as the first time around.

I honestly have no idea what Lucas was thinking when he was "directing" this travesty... the only thing redeeming is the lightsaber fight at the end... then he kills one of the only new characters (Maul) you actually would like to see again and replaces him with Dracula... this movie is crap and will always be that.

The Phantom Menace should be used as the new waterboarding.

M.

So you went to a midnight showing and paid $15 for a movie you hated seeing 7 years ago?? :slap

I do have a feeling Lucasfilm will make money off of haters who go to this looking for more reasons to hate it.
I remember going to Celebration III and my brother brought a friend who spent the whole week calling us tools even though he paid for a plane ticket from Idaho to Indianapolis, paid for four nights in a hotel room, the tickets to the convention and a couple hundred bucks in the autograph hall. Somehow I was the tool for enjoying myself.
On another note those of us who went to C3 who were tools, were going to say goodbye to Star Wars. We thought with the last movie coming out the franchise would be done. Similar to what happened after Return of the Jedi.
I went to the midnight showing of TPM tonight and there was a crowd of people there who have probably seen it a dozen times. I thought, love it or hate it, Star Wars just isn't going anywhere. Somehow it is gained a permanence in our culture that seems extremely solid, warts and all.

I went to the midnight showing and was really let down. The 3D is garbage. It honestly did not 3D at all, not even more depth! There were NO scenes that actually popped right at you either. Awful.

I love 3D too and was so let down with it I left after 45 minutes. What a let down...at least the 3D previews looked badass.

So this is crapolla? Wonder what the Titanic will look then? IMO, if these old films aren't filmed in 3D cameras then it's not worth seeing.

So much hate, I enjoyed it. I say ignore these haters opinion, he'll ignore my opinion- if u had any interest just see it yourself; if you can't get over yourself and enjoy it because it's not the origibal theatrical cut of an OT movie then don't bother, the theater I went to seemed to have fun with it, cheering and stuff throughout.

I've been reflecting all morning about The Phantom Menace being that last night was probably my first viewing in six or seven years. As I sat there in the theater it occurred to me that the film had not been made for or with the fans in mind that had waited 16 years after Return of the Jedi for a new Star Wars movie. TPM is essentially a movie for 10-year-olds. I think about how hurt and surprised Obi-Wan looks when Qui-Gon makes the announcement that he is done with Obi-Wan and that he is taking on the new kid as an apprentice. In hindsight can that scene be seen as a metaphor for what happened when TPM was released. Was Obi-Wan the old school fan and Anakin the new kid that was about to grow up on the prequels. Do the people of my generation who grew up with the originals have an unhealthy parent/child, mentor/apprentice relationship with Lucas. Is it something like the family that has a new baby and one of the kids says to their parents, "You love that baby more than me."
It makes me wonder for a movie that is so reviled by some it still has people yammering on about it 13 years after its release.

I think a better parallel is that Qui-Gon was the OT purist killed by the prequels and that Obi-Wan the fan who takes on Anakin (the continuing portion prequels) under his wing only to be screwed by him in the end. :lol

I haven't seen this film really in a long time, I don't even own the Blu-Rays. I remember how much I was meh about this so I'm not going in tomorrow with amazingly how, wow me Lucas kind of expectations like I did in 1999. I'm just going to sit back and let it be what it is.

I've been reflecting all morning about The Phantom Menace being that last night was probably my first viewing in six or seven years. As I sat there in the theater it occurred to me that the film had not been made for or with the fans in mind that had waited 16 years after Return of the Jedi for a new Star Wars movie. TPM is essentially a movie for 10-year-olds. I think about how hurt and surprised Obi-Wan looks when Qui-Gon makes the announcement that he is done with Obi-Wan and that he is taking on the new kid as an apprentice. In hindsight can that scene be seen as a metaphor for what happened when TPM was released. Was Obi-Wan the old school fan and Anakin the new kid that was about to grow up on the prequels. Do the people of my generation who grew up with the originals have an unhealthy parent/child, mentor/apprentice relationship with Lucas. Is it something like the family that has a new baby and one of the kids says to their parents, "You love that baby more than me."
It makes me wonder for a movie that is so reviled by some it still has people yammering on about it 13 years after its release.

i think you may have hit the nail on the head

I think a better parallel is that Qui-Gon was the OT purist killed by the prequels and that Obi-Wan the fan who takes on Anakin (the continuing portion prequels) under his wing only to be screwed by him in the end. :lol

I haven't seen this film really in a long time, I don't even own the Blu-Rays. I remember how much I was meh about this so I'm not going in tomorrow with amazingly how, wow me Lucas kind of expectations like I did in 1999. I'm just going to sit back and let it be what it is.

I'm actually curious to hear your thoughts after your viewing.

3D is dead.

I'm seeing this tomorrow. Was looking forward, thinking if any movie was suited for 3D it was Star Wars. I even figured Lucas would make extra effort to rally WOW us. Clearly, that's not the case. Just another way to get into fans wallets.

Lucas has really surprised me over the last 13 years or so. He was such a hero when I was young. Seemed like such a genius. Now, seems like just a greedy and lazy old man exploiting his early moment of genius to its full extent. Growing older sucks.

Back