Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lando: Offering to help an ex-Stormtrooper find out where she's from >>> somehow not knowing how to clap properly

lol

:lol :lol

The ST almost had a Lando victory celebration scene

CreepyJitteryAlbertosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLJ would be made 50% better if Finn and Poe went on the mission together instead of Finn and Rose.

They tried to do a bit of ESB with that film by separating them but it just did not work. Separating them was not the issue. The Plots surround Finn and Poe i that film is.

TFA was Rey and Finn's movie since Poe was originally supposed to die early in the film.

Its too bad that it took the third film to get them together because I think they all share great chemistry together

Finn was the only character that i thought got the short end of the stick. I still like him but he was wasted.

As for the whole Separating them in Empire for drama and story. Yes. I think Khev understands that. But I would argue that is why they are separated in the ST. As I have said the event of Kylo Ren is what separated the team. They needed to separate them. It was the only thing that made sense to allow another Empire to rise.

I like that TFA is Hans movie
TLJ is Luke's
TROS would have Leia's but it was not meant to be.

No no no. It?s like this

TFA= setup
TLJ= woah what?s going on
TROS= we?re going down!

ROTJ has so many cringe moments.

Meh. You were just spoiled by ANH and ESB. :lol Compare it to sequels in other franchises. ROTJ gets too much hate. The cringe moments are isolated enough from the key scenes so that what it needed most to get right it got right. There are even a few elements that actually *exceed* what was done in the first two. Just because it has flaws doesn't mean it wasn't still one of the greatest popcorn movies of all time. Here's how I view each scene, and the stuff in bold is what I consider SW being as iconic as movies get:

Jabba's palace: Has the best creature and puppet work in the whole saga. Makes SW actually feel like a galactic story with all the aliens, and many of them not being of the typical humanoid variety. Also connects Han's story back to ANH for closure.

Rancor pit: If you can't love that a giant slug ganster boss has a gigantic beast in the basement to feed his rivals to, then you're just too hard to please. :lol

Sail barge, skiffs, and Sarlacc pit: Zany, frantic, and over-the-top action that is probably the closest the saga ever got to the Flash Gordon serials it was inspired by. Swash-buckling action that had most kids totally mesmerized. Flawless? Of course not. Iconic? Absolutely!

Emperor arrival: First time we actually saw any real pageantry in the Empire. Having those red royal guards breaking up the black/gray/white that was all we ever associated with the Empire said it all. And even imperial droids were lined up in the back to show respect to their Emperor. :lol

Dagobah: Yoda dying somehow managed to be a poignant and emotional moment . . . with a puppet! Gets me every time. Then Kenobi sits on a log like a grandpa telling a story that the kids need to hear. Closing the loop of Luke's mentors from both earlier movies.

Rebel briefing: Sure, not that exciting; but it needed to be there and gave us Ackbar.

Stolen shuttle arrives on Endor: Okay yeah, kinda boring.

Speeder bikes: 'nuff said!

Wicket and Leia: uhhhh . . . so, moving on . . .

Vader & Emperor talk: Critically important exposition. Vader's connection with Luke is confirmed, and even has Palpatine off guard and uneasy about it.

Ewoks:

Walkway bridge scene: Atrocious. Cringiest sequence in the entire OT. But it's kinda harmless anyway.

Luke & Vader: Some great dialogue exposition. Vader igniting the saber behind Luke when they're alone was heart-stopping for me; brilliantly done.

Space battle: EPIC!

Ground battle: . . . not so much. But still some good moments mixed in.

Throne room: To this day, still underrated IMO. The methodical buildup; the impossible scenario; the emotional outburst; and everything built up in ANH and ESB gets an epic and iconic resolution. I wouldn't change a thing!

Endor celebration: Cheesy, but it kinda needed to be. The happy ending.

There's a ****ton of great stuff, and plenty of good/decent stuff, that far outweighs the cringe stuff. An 8 out of 10 overall. Easily! I'd gladly take even just one ROTJ-level popcorn movie with that many rewatchable and iconic scenes every year. Doesn't happen.

Meh. You were just spoiled by ANH and ESB. :lol Compare it to sequels in other franchises. ROTJ gets too much hate. The cringe moments are isolated enough from the key scenes so that what it needed most to get right it got right. There are even a few elements that actually *exceed* what was done in the first two. Just because it has flaws doesn't mean it wasn't still one of the greatest popcorn movies of all time. Here's how I view each scene, and the stuff in bold is what I consider SW being as iconic as movies get:

Jabba's palace: Has the best creature and puppet work in the whole saga. Makes SW actually feel like a galactic story with all the aliens, and many of them not being of the typical humanoid variety. Also connects Han's story back to ANH for closure.

Rancor pit: If you can't love that a giant slug ganster boss has a gigantic beast in the basement to feed his rivals to, then you're just too hard to please. :lol

Sail barge, skiffs, and Sarlacc pit: Zany, frantic, and over-the-top action that is probably the closest the saga ever got to the Flash Gordon serials it was inspired by. Swash-buckling action that had most kids totally mesmerized. Flawless? Of course not. Iconic? Absolutely!

Emperor arrival: First time we actually saw any real pageantry in the Empire. Having those red royal guards breaking up the black/gray/white that was all we ever associated with the Empire said it all. And even imperial droids were lined up in the back to show respect to their Emperor. :lol

Dagobah: Yoda dying somehow managed to be a poignant and emotional moment . . . with a puppet! Gets me every time. Then Kenobi sits on a log like a grandpa telling a story that the kids need to hear. Closing the loop of Luke's mentors from both earlier movies.

Rebel briefing: Sure, not that exciting; but it needed to be there and gave us Ackbar.

Vader & Emperor talk: Critically important exposition. Vader's connection with Luke is confirmed, and even has Palpatine off guard and uneasy about it.

Ewoks:

Walkway bridge scene: Atrocious. Cringiest sequence in the entire OT. But it's kinda harmless anyway.

Luke & Vader: Some great dialogue exposition. Vader igniting the saber behind Luke when they're alone was heart-stopping for me; brilliantly done.

Throne room: To this day, still underrated IMO. The methodical buildup; the impossible scenario; the emotional outburst; and everything built up in ANH and ESB gets an epic and iconic resolution. I wouldn't change a thing!

There's a ****ton of great stuff, and plenty of good/decent stuff, that far outweighs the cringe stuff. An 8 out of 10 overall. Easily! I'd gladly take even just one ROTJ-level popcorn movie with that many rewatchable and iconic scenes every year. Doesn't happen.

:goodpost: :clap I give ROTJ an 8.5 to a 9. It's the third best Star Wars film by a country mile.

:goodpost: :clap I give ROTJ an 8.5 to a 9.

See there you go showing that you have no more credibility than any PT or ST lover. :) You've just proven that you too can enjoy a SW movie that that is blatantly derivative and emasculates former badasses even to the point of giving it a 9/10(!) so I don't want to hear any more whining about "how can someone who likes the OT also like the ST." Return of the Jedi, that's how. :wave

Ewoks:

I cringed during ROTJ opening night lol

But that 3rd act was a wowzer!

Vaders saber behind Luke made me jump opening night lol

See there you go showing that you have no more credibility than any PT or ST lover. :) You've just proven that you too can enjoy a SW movie that that is blatantly derivative and emasculates former badasses even to the point of giving it a 9/10(!) so I don't want to hear any more whining about "how can someone who likes the OT also like the ST." Return of the Jedi, that's how. :wave

Savage bro lol

Ewoks:

8 out 10? Yikes.

Here is what IMO stands out.

Jabba - What a wonderfully realized character. IMO he almost steals the whole film.

Yoda is always great in the OT

Space Battle - Epic and still my fav of the entire Saga including RO

Luke going top the Dark Side to beat Vader.

Vader's redemption.

What Drives me nuts.

1. The Acting of Ford and Fisher
2. The handling of the characters. I don't know if its just the acting but Han Solo is a bumbling fool. Leia... Yeah that's fishers acting :lol, Luke is a bore and So is Vader.
3. Jabba's Palace. Its a bit too much of the Muppet show and Luke's convoluted plan to rescue Han still doesn't make any sense
4. Pretty much everything from the Sail Barge to the Attack on the Death Star (other then the few moments mentioned)
5. The Battle of Endor. This is not a "I hate Ewokes rant" but the final film of the series has this as part of the final epic Alliance vs Empire? Its kind of boring and uninteresting. Han Solo spends all his time trying to hot wire a door.. I mean the battle itself is no better then the Gungan battle. I find that I just check out each time it comes on.
6. Luke staring out a window while the Emperor just rambles on and on
7. Chewie's Tarzan Yell

I personally don't find any of the Dialogue to be all that interesting.

Other then "Its a trap" and "Bo Shudda" are there any memorable lines from this film :(

I may come back around to ROTJ.. I have hated it before and then end up liking it again.. This last viewing though.. Man. I was watching the saga in numerical order and I had enjoyed the PT more then I ever had love ANH and ESB as usual and the was just shocked at how awkwardly paced, poorly acted, dull and boring ROTJ was. Then I watch TFA and remember just how great Ford can be as well as Hamill in TLJ.

So IDK. I hope to come around to it again but its gonna be tuff with the phoned in performances and the dull way the main characters were presented.

First viewing of ROTJ I thought it was pretty disturbing that Jabba and all his cronies just roared with laughter as the Gamorrean Guard who grabbed Luke's blaster arm and SAVED JABBA'S LIFE got eaten alive while screaming in terror. :horror

I also remember wincing at the brutality of some of the Biker Scout deaths like the first one that gets thrown into the tree at 200 mph and then the guy who gets clothes lined by the ewok rope. I also remember letting out a "whoa!" when the two AT-ST pilots got utterly smashed inside the cockpit by the two logs, lol.

Last edited:

:lol Exactly.

I was 12.. I loved it. When I saw it again of RCA video disc :) I liked it ok but looking back I did not watch it nearly as much as ANH or ESB

Now its a cringe fest.

First viewing of ROTJ I thought it was pretty disturbing that Jabba and all his cronies just roared with laughter as the Gamorrean Guard who grabbed Luke's blaster arm and SAVED JABBA'S LIFE got eaten alive while screaming in terror. :horror

I also remember wincing at the brutality of some of the Biker Scouts death like the first one that gets thrown into the tree at 200 mph and then the guy who gets clothes lined by the ewok rope. I also remember letting out a "whoa!" when the two AT-ST pilots got utterly smashed inside the cockpit by the two logs, lol.

No problems with any of that from me.. I loved the comical violence.

3. Jabba's Palace. Its a bit too much of the Muppet show

It's funny you mention this because it seemingly rarely comes up but I remember back in the 90's I was talking about the OT with a friend who was a few years older (he was probably in his teens when ROTJ came out) and was surprised at the time to hear someone who loved SW and ESB bashing ROTJ. I remember at first going "oh you hated the ewoks" because that was what most people complained about and he instead went into a big rant about the "Muppet Show" that was Jabba's Palace. The conversation has stuck with me all these years because I remember laughing when he said "It was nothing but ****ing muppets. I kept waiting for them to cut to the two old guys in the balcony." :lol

8 out 10? Yikes.

What? Too low? ;)

Here is what IMO stands out.

Jabba - What a wonderfully realized character. IMO he almost steals the whole film.

Yoda is always great in the OT

Space Battle - Epic and still my fav of the entire Saga including RO

Luke going top the Dark Side to beat Vader.

Vader's redemption.

Yep. All good stuff.

What Drives me nuts.

1. The Acting of Ford and Fisher
2. The handling of the characters. I don't know if its just the acting but Han Solo is a bumbling fool. Leia... Yeah that's fishers acting :lol, Luke is a bore and So is Vader.
3. Jabba's Palace. Its a bit too much of the Muppet show and Luke's convoluted plan to rescue Han still doesn't make any sense
4. Pretty much everything from the Sail Barge to the Attack on the Death Star (other then the few moments mentioned)
5. The Battle of Endor. This is not a "I hate Ewokes rant" but the final film of the series has this as part of the final epic Alliance vs Empire? Its kind of boring and uninteresting. Han Solo spends all his time trying to hot wire a door.. I mean the battle itself is no better then the Gungan battle. I find that I just check out each time it comes on.
6. Luke staring out a window while the Emperor just rambles on and on
7. Chewie's Tarzan Yell

1.) Yeah, acting definitely could've been better. Fisher was mostly okay until the Endor bridge stuff.

2.) Luke is a bore!? Wow, I couldn't disagree more. He developed more of a quiet confidence and understated demeanor overall, but I think that lines up really well with his evolution into becoming a Jedi. And Vader had to be more subdued in order for the redemption to work at the end. If he's full badass Vader for most of the movie, his turn at the end just becomes a disjointed plot convenience. Would've been worse, IMO.

3.) Luke's "plan" was a definite mess. :lol But the "muppet show" in Jabba's palace is some of my favorite stuff. To this day I can't believe all the work and execution that went into that. Love it! Stuff like Jabba and the Max Rebo Band were imaginative and pulled off exceptionally well. Some others just stood there, but still added flavor to the scenery. Man, we are on total opposite ends of this one. :lol

4.) Wow. That's harsh.

5.) Understandable. But since that ground battle happens in a way that's mixed with the space battle and throne room, its weakness is lessened for me.

6.) Luke is fighting himself at that window. He's seeing everything (and everyone) he cares about get destroyed by a trap. He's feeling helpless watching it, but knows that turning around and taking action is exactly what the Emperor wants.

7.) Yep. I can agree with that. :lol

I personally don't find any of the Dialogue to be all that interesting.

Other then "Its a trap" and "Bo Shudda" are there any memorable lines from this film :(

Are you kidding? Palpatine alone accounts for a bunch! "Oh no, my young Jedi. You will find that it is *you* who are mistaken, about a great..many...things." and "So be it, Jedi." and "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive." and "Young fool... Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Yoda: "That face you make... look I so old to young eyes?" and "There is another Sky...walk...er."

Luke and Han: "How we doin?" "Same as always." "That bad, huh?"

Luke and Han again: "I used to live here, y'know." "You're gonna die here, y'know. Convenient."

I may come back around to ROTJ.. I have hated it before and then end up liking it again.. This last viewing though.. Man. I was watching the saga in numerical order and I had enjoyed the PT more then I ever had love ANH and ESB as usual and the was just shocked at how awkwardly paced, poorly acted, dull and boring ROTJ was. Then I watch TFA and remember just how great Ford can be as well as Hamill in TLJ.

So IDK. I hope to come around to it again but its gonna be tuff with the phoned in performances and the dull way the main characters were presented.

I too hope you come back around to it. It's no ANH or ESB, but it has a lot going for it. And the bad acting is only really problematic in relatively minor moments. Here's hopin' you rediscover your childhood love for ROTJ someday. :duff

Back