Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, the structural integrity of that first bomber that got destroyed sure does call into question the viability of those things. But at least the rest of them were destroyed by deflected bombs of the same type that destroyed the dreadnaught. I know that this doesn't negate your point, but I just wanted to try to salvage something. :lol

Very well, lol. :duff

You need to remember that Connix (a female) was just as suspicious of Holdo as Poe was. And because we knew Poe's motives from TFA (and Connix to a lesser extent), we would naturally be rooting for him. Holdo's portrayal in interactions with Poe was a storytelling device for Poe's character growth, and used in a way to play off of the fact that Poe had our trust in a way that she didn't.

Holdo's character was softened as soon as the storytelling veil surrounding her trustworthiness could be lifted. "I like him," "God's speed, Rebels," and the hyperspace kamikaze sacrifice. Her interactions with Poe were designed to keep the audience at least somewhat aligned with Poe (and with Connix and Poe's alien pilot buddy).

Oh good I'm glad you brought this up because I actually meant to but just lost track with my already wordy replies, lol. Yes I that is something worth mentioning in defense of the Holdo subplot and that's that when you first watch TLJ you don't actually know if *she* might either be some villain or at best a tragically incompetent ally in the tradition of Lt. Gorman that provides an internal obstacle that the heroes must overcome. So if you want to look at her in the most absolutely favorable light (divorcing the topicality of "#MeToo/men bad/SJWism, etc.") and only see her as a foil for the more relatable heroes then she actually does do a good job of portraying an archetypical "Gorman" characters that *does* have a few more layers to her. Since I've made peace with the flaws of TLJ and prefer to focus on the positive that's probably how I'll always choose to see her going forward.

Nah she was a man hating lesbo who only said she liked Poe near the end of her arc because she got some nose the night before and was just celebrating his eventual failure at ExxonMobil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well that too, lol.

When ROTJ Luke was about to murder Vader this was everyone in the theater opening night:

giphy.gif

This was Talibane lol:

DisfiguredOpulentIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

Interesting take but I definitely disagree. If ROTJ Luke was *not* well on his way to giving up on the "good" in Vader and killing him in anger then IMO it completely undoes his entire epiphany when he pauses and looks at his own mechanical hand in horror. If he had simply conducted a spirited and prolonged attempt to disarm his father and nothing more then why would such a turnaround be necessary. Just pause with lightsaber in hand and say "you have nothing to fear from me father, now please let go of your hate and come with me." No that is *not* what he said, he looked at his terrified dad (who was literally holding up a hand as a futile defensive gesture against the killing blow that Luke was on the verge of making), thought "holy **** what am I doing" and not only turned off his saber but flung the temptation as far away as he could.

That was the final test that Luke overcame. With your take there was no such test at all and Luke apparently just disarms himself out of sheer stupidity. ;)

Perfectly said.

Thor looks like he’s going to kill Star Lord.

Also, nobody reads posts that contain more than 200 characters. It’s proven, scientific fact. Stop wasting time and brain power typing this stuff out.

Agreed, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that Luke "almost" killed Ben in TLJ. I think he just had an off the cuff overreaction more along the lines of Bilbo briefly going pyscho and reaching for Frodo's ring in Rivendell. Just an instantaneous moment of weakness that while tragic in no way undid his previous heroic deeds nor did it taint him forever going forward.

Interesting take but I definitely disagree. If ROTJ Luke was *not* well on his way to giving up on the "good" in Vader and killing him in anger then IMO it completely undoes his entire epiphany when he pauses and looks at his own mechanical hand in horror. If he had simply conducted a spirited and prolonged attempt to disarm his father and nothing more then why would such a turnaround be necessary. Just pause with lightsaber in hand and say "you have nothing to fear from me father, now please let go of your hate and come with me." No that is *not* what he said, he looked at his terrified dad (who was literally holding up a hand as a futile defensive gesture against the killing blow that Luke was on the verge of making), thought "holy **** what am I doing" and not only turned off his saber but flung the temptation as far away as he could.

That was the final test that Luke overcame. With your take there was no such test at all and Luke apparently just disarms himself out of sheer stupidity. ;)

I think there are two things here.

First and foremost, is the dramatic weakness and mishandling evident in ROTJ on many fronts, one key one being Luke. The movie should have truly set up an actual dark vs light conflict within Luke (in alignment with his costume) and perhaps should have involved Leia playing some role at the climax where Luke has to make a choice, perhaps even seeing her die for his slide to the darkside. This would have tied her more to being Luke's sister, and to her force connection, rather than it being a bit random.

We are left with a lukewarm Luke storyline complete with a weak, endless "explain to Charlie" scene with Ben and has Yoda as almost a throwaway. This just at a point where Ben and Yoda's deception of Luke might have played a major role in Luke entertaining the dark side as a more real and truthful alternative (as presented by Vader, then Palps,) seeing Ben as something more complex and playing out further some of the "you will be..." evil-seeming Yoda. This was a massive missed opportunity.

The second thing is that what occurs is that Luke is 110% there to save/redeem his father, in a reverse of the "join me, father and son" from ESB - I mean you just have to look at every piece of dialog and action Luke has, from his first meeting Vader on the platform next to the ATAT right up until 2/3 of the way through their saber battle. This is not a guy who has come to trick his father into lowering his guard in order to kill him. He comes with an open heart, and states and proves it over and over and over.

Then we get to the critical point - the "sister" moment, and the "no!" - which is the only evidence AT ALL that Luke might kill Vader, despite what people say to him, despite what the movie may have tried to infer (the movie tries to have its cake and eat it too - dress him in black, have people tell him he needs to kill Vader, but make Luke 98% pure.)

A key question: Do you know how long it is between Luke snapping due to "sister" and him looking at his gloved hand? 60 seconds. One minute of screen time, in the context of countless (maybe 20 in total?) minutes of Luke saying "I sense the good in you" and "I won't fight you" etc etc etc.

And the most crucial point in all this? Luke doesn't kill Vader, even after he's cut Vader's hand off, even while still enraged, long before he looks at his own gloved hand, before he even has his "change of facial expression" moment from anger to "I've won."

In the second after he chops off Vader's hand and disarms him, why doesn't Luke behead Vader or drive his saber through him?

What no one seems to get is that a full thirty seconds - which is a TON of time in such a high-drama moment - passes between Luke cutting off Vader's hand and Luke looking at his own hand, which is in theory the "what am I doing?" turning back moment everyone cites.

And Luke, despite still being enraged and theoretically in the grip of the dark side, despite now being in a position to do it - DOESN'T kill Vader.:lecture If Luke had indeed given in to the dark side, exploded, won - why didn't he continue for that last 1-2 seconds and kill Vader? People seem to remember it as Luke explodes, defeats Vader, then looks at his hand and changes his mind - they forget all about that "missing" thirty seconds - which is the book depository to your grassy knoll theory.:lol

And finally, critically, Luke did not COME THERE TO KILL VADER. All evidence points to the exact opposite. TLJ, on the other hand... is different.

A critical point...if it were correct. But if you revisit TLJ (I'll leave that one up to you, lol) Luke actually doesn't go to Ben's hut to kill him, only to definitively discern the level of darkness lurking in his nephew's soul. What he finds temporarily shocks him so profoundly that he grabs and ignites his saber out of instinct. Which actually is explained beautifully by the TROS reveal that it was Palpatine because he was the one person who witnessed firsthand Luke almost lose it with Vader when Vader threatened his sister. He obviously used and magnified that very threat by showing Luke (through Ben's tainted soul) the "death and destruction of all I held dear."

So again like Bilbo briefly lashing out at *his* nephew Luke made a similar "in the moment" error.

So you need to walk all the way to Ben's hut - armed - and in the middle of the night - to "definitively discern the level of darkness lurking in his nephew's soul"? A guy who we are led to believe can discern and even communicate or project things mentally from great distances needs to walk all the way over to the hut, to sorta "check on things in person"? C'mon, Khev... that's ST/TLJ Koolaid.:lol

Luke says "I was left with shame... and consequence" (spoken as he "changes his mind" with a shot of the saber) - so what shame is he talking about then? That isn't the shame of what he is clearly there to do? If not, what shame? That he "misjudged" Ben... and went to his hut to do some "discerning"....in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT while standing over Ben WITH A SABER IN HIS HAND?

C'mon, seriously?:dunno:lol

To me this infers that you've been bamboozled by the weak cop-out mishmash of how they edited this gibberish together - flashbacks that are anything but clear, because in truth, the filmmakers really have no idea what happened. They just want Luke to be "complex and dark" and more importantly, have to then die for it. You know, so we pay a little tribute then kiss goodbye the old?

Again, why did they never show any of this? We get drivelous garbage like endless Canto, slow motion bumper chases and a teary Rose, not to mention more of Rey Boringwalker's mythic Luke-journey retread.... yet we can't even see Luke and Ben in these critical moments surrounding these momentous events concerning THE core character of the OT?

The moments that enable us to judge Luke's actions. It's like the problem I have with the whole TLJ force projection ending - there's zero rules for how it all works, so it's impossible to judge whether Luke is brave or a coward... in the moment of his DEATH. And don't ask the filmmakers - they have no idea either (as I always mention, even official sources can't make sense of any of it.) It was all just a half-*ssed attempt to undercut and shake up what we thought of Luke, then kill him off, so we can get back to Rey Boringwalker.

Those moments between Luke and Ben are the DRAMATIC CORE of the TLJ story, perhaps even of the WHOLE ST (including Han and Leia's reactions and actions,) yet 99% occur offscreen? I mean seriously - WTF, right?

Yet this is the kind of weak, lazy, dramatically murky, mythically no-pulse movie TLJ is. Any power it has is 100% lifted from other movies, even as it undercuts or even mocks those movies (which is SO much easier than building something new.)

Here we are arguing over a brief throwaway bs flashback that is totally unclear in both context and content. Solely because the filmmakers had no clue and therefore couldn't clarify it. And yet you're saying all of this "definitively discern" and "shocks him so profoundly" with dead certainty? Based on what?:dunno

Here we are arguing over a brief throwaway bs flashback that is totally unclear in both context and content. Solely because the filmmakers had no clue and therefore couldn't clarify it. And yet you're saying all of this "definitively discern" and "shocks him so profoundly" with dead certainty? Based on what?:dunno

Based on Luke's exact dialogue in TLJ explaining to Rey his intentions and what happened as a result:

"I saw darkness. I'd sensed it building in him. I'd seen it in moments during his training. But then I looked inside, and it was beyond what I ever imagined. Snoke had already turned his heart. He would bring destruction, and pain, and death, and the end of everything I love because of what he would become. And for the briefest moment of pure instinct, I thought I could stop it. It passed like a fleeting shadow. And I was left with shame... and with consequence. And the last thing I saw were the eyes of a frightened boy whose master had failed him."

I respect your opinion and insight TaliBane but I think you're way off on this one. Of course Luke didn't approach Vader on Endor with the intention of killing him, nor did he even want to fight him at all in the Emperor's throne room. But that all changed Vader when threatened Leia and Luke lost it. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone *not* interpret it that way until reading your posts. Luke was all set to kill his dad until Palps' laughter snapped him out of his funk and he realized what he was about to do (way to go Palps, lol.)

And no he didn't bring his lightsaber into Ben's hut because he had murderous intent he simply brought his lightsaber because Jedi pretty much carry them wherever they go. That's not a new thing.

On another note I'm binging the OT today while on lockdown and will follow with the ST.

Some interesting new connections I'm noticing.

3PO giving up after the Sandpeople attack and telling Luke to leave him and that he's done for to which Luke replies "No you're not what kind of talk is that" compared to Rey in TROS giving up and trying to burn the lightsaber and Luke saying "What are you doing?" Once again giving a "come on get it together" pep talk to a hopeless friend.

Also "I'm not afraid," "ah, you will be, you will be" has new connotations with regard to Luke confessing to Rey that fear drove him to exile. Almost like Yoda had foreseen Luke's entire journey as a Jedi up to and including his eventual death. Pretty cool.

Also "I'm not afraid," "ah, you will be, you will be" has new connotations with regard to Luke confessing to Rey that fear drove him to exile. Almost like Yoda had foreseen Luke's entire journey as a Jedi up to and including his eventual death. Pretty cool.

It has zero connotations. That fear Yoda was referring to was Luke’s friends dying and that Vader was his father bro, not the Sequel Trilogy. ESB has been around for 40 years. These crappy sequels were just made yesterday. That little puppet wasn’t thinking 40 years into the future.

Your attempts to connect the OT to the ST are almost as bad as George Lucas’ attempts to connect the OT to the PT. :lol

Atleast his attempts were filmed and not stretched out posts. I could buy Jake Lloyd building 3PO to help Mom because I actually saw him do it as opposed to your conjecture about Luke giving 3PO a pep talk like Jake Skywalker does for Rey or whatever nonsense you just posted.

You don’t understand Star Wars. You should sell your collection and shouldn’t be allowed to watch them anymore.

Right after D makes that post Talibane comes with a book lol

Taliban gets a pass. He’s copying and pasting from Kiri Hart’s story group notes.

On another note I'm binging the OT today while on lockdown and will follow with the ST.

Some interesting new connections I'm noticing.

3PO giving up after the Sandpeople attack and telling Luke to leave him and that he's done for to which Luke replies "No you're not what kind of talk is that" compared to Rey in TROS giving up and trying to burn the lightsaber and Luke saying "What are you doing?" Once again giving a "come on get it together" pep talk to a hopeless friend.

That Yoda one really goes a long way in making TLJ tolerable that is a ton of mileage you can get with that one lol

Based on Luke's exact dialogue in TLJ explaining to Rey his intentions and what happened as a result:

I respect your opinion and insight TaliBane but I think you're way off on this one. Of course Luke didn't approach Vader on Endor with the intention of killing him, nor did he even want to fight him at all in the Emperor's throne room. But that all changed Vader when threatened Leia and Luke lost it. I don't know that I've ever seen anyone *not* interpret it that way until reading your posts. Luke was all set to kill his dad until Palps' laughter snapped him out of his funk and he realized what he was about to do (way to go Palps, lol.)

And no he didn't bring his lightsaber into Ben's hut because he had murderous intent he simply brought his lightsaber because Jedi pretty much carry them wherever they go. That's not a new thing.

Yep... I see it exactly as you do Khev. I really don't see it any other way...

You have Luke rolling his eyes from the temptation of Vader and the Emperor as he tries to keep it together.

2015-10-26-1445885103-9236094-sister-thumb.jpg

And then the all out Anger and Rage after he beats Vader.. I look of Hate.

Luke-hate.jpg

And then his realization, when he looks at his hand, of the path he is about to go down if he goes through with it. That he will become Vader. Its then that he throws away his saber and tells the Emperor that he will never turn.

maxresdefault.jpg

D you are not allowed to emasculate Khev over what you see as his gross audacity to connect TLJ with ESB by using Jake freaking Lloyd in your argument to hold up the PT since it was he that built 3PO.

Then to make matters worse you went and hypocritically evoked the meme name of Jake Skywalker as a thing Khev should be ashamed of when you yourself are embracing Jake Lloyd lol

Yes Luke looked derpy with that hair lol

Back