Star Wars: The Acolyte

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of my son when he was 8 years old. We'd been living in England the previous 3 years where he had his first school experience. After we returned to the U.S. we enrolled him in public school. After his first day my wife asked him how he liked his new school and he proclaimed "I LOVE it! I get 4 warnings for bad behavior before they call you about me." That's my boy - always pushing the envelope! :lol

4 warnings in what length of time though? Asking for a friend ...

Even a lot of those positive critic reviews aren’t glowing. The problem with RT is there’s no middle ground. Everything is positive or negative. So a 5.1/10 review is considered fresh.

In case you’re wondering, here are some quotes from those “fresh” critic reviews:

"It’s better than average simply by having a clear point of view and something to say. However, simply avoiding the pitfalls of its sister programs may not be enough to make it worth watching."

"It’s not amazing, but it’s not terrible. It exists where most cultural output exists, in the middle" 3/5

"This is not the worst we’ve seen from Star Wars TV, nor is it the best." 6/10

"The Acolyte so far is not the bold stride forward we’d hoped for."

"It’s a spirited effort, but in the continuum of Disney’s Star Wars hits and misses, The Acolyte lands bang in the middle."

"The only thing that makes it stand out from past Star Wars stories is that it has a lot of women in it"

"The Acolyte does offer some enjoyable character dynamics and an enticing mystery, but its first four episodes fail to coalesce into something that truly shines."

This isn't some kind of guessing game though. A character needs to develop naturally and believably from a psychological standpoint, not to mention in an interesting way. The prequel Anakins both fail miserably, not only because these characters are so poorly written but also because the actors totally lack the skill and charisma needed to convincingly portray the emerging Vader persona. You make it sound like any random arc would've been ok for the greatest villain in movie history, and the only thing bothering "older dudes" is that they have personal wants and unrealistic expectations. The thing is that old dudes have more life experience and therefore wish for better and more true-to-life character arcs in their favorite franchises. Anakin as portrayed in the prequels doesn't have a snowballs chance in Hell to end up like Darth Vader. It's just a rubbish retrofit version Lucas made on his quest to further infantilize Star Wars (in order to sell more toys), instead of crafting what could've been a more serious and meaningful prequel that actually served the character of Darth Vader. Lucas was well versed in many disciplines but psychology definitely wasn't one of them.
Nah. You expected way too much. Us younger guys are happy with the turn we got. I don’t know what you guys expected from his turn to good to evil but I will agree the w ring wasn’t that great and yes the pt has issues but a lot of the emotion was there lol

Gave the first two episodes a watch last night….

Bad but not terrible, I like the lead but the rest of the cast is not good. They’re all very emotionless, maybe that’s intentional.

Somewhat interesting story, and the visuals seem pretty mediocre compared to most the D+ shows.

I’ll keep watching but not expecting much tbh.

If it's hitting Disney in the pocket then things ought to return to a semblance of sanity.

It should, but it wont. If thats how things worked, we would have seen a turnaround after the last trilogy. Instead with each new project they double down again. Because this time, THIS!!!! TIME!!!!! its *going* to work out how they want, to screams of public acclaim. The only show to escape this was the first two seasons of "Mandalorian," which you may recall actually DID come with screams of public acclaim. Huh. Season three had a heaping helping of The New Formula, and again as you may have noticed... it didnt do nearly as well. We went from bounty hunting to a space tea party.

I think the final straw for me was this Leslye person telling everyone basically: "If you have a problem with my show, then I consider you not to be a true fan." But haha, my dear Leslye! You don't get a say in mine or anyone else's fandom! No one asked for nor cares about your attempts to gate!

Pollice verso.

O B E Y !

C O N S U M E !!!

leslye headland.jpg

Nah. You expected way too much. Us younger guys are happy with the turn we got. I don’t know what you guys expected from his turn to good to evil but I will agree the w ring wasn’t that great and yes the pt has issues but a lot of the emotion was there lol
Better performances or at least got better. Characters had charisma. And there was a lot of imagination and care e.g. there's a slow progression to Anakin's fall. The dynamics of Palpatine.

Agree with Asta overall this is a blip, for me pretty much like Rings of Power or Willow 2. Onward to the next Rey Skywalker movie. :monkey3

Last edited:
Just watched the first 2 episodes. It was a bit boring and predictable. Writing and acting felt subpar. Despite that, wasn’t terrible so I’ll keep watching.

I’m liking it so far. 7.75/10 for the first two episodes. Not as good as Mando or Ahsoka, Not as well written, acted or directed as Andor but more entertaining. Better than BoBF and OBW. IMO that is.

Back