Star Wars: The Acolyte

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, well here you go. A fair review that doesn’t rely on rage-bait thumbnails with boobs.

He complains about fire in space...

GPYowKgX0AA7Hr6.jpg

Return-of-the-Jedi-Star-Wars-Executor-Super-Star-Destroyer.jpg

This is why I can't take some critics and SW criticism seriously.

Actually, I think what differentiates Gilroy from the others is that he respects what came before and is trying to tell a good story within the universe. Johnson wanted to subvert the franchise, Hedland seems to want to co-opt the brand for her message. Johnson and Hedland come from a selfish position, Gilroy from the opposite. He asks "how can you build up this lore and find interestingstories within it" while the others ask "how can I use this franchise as a vehicle for my own message, whether it makes sense or not".

Gilroy respects the brand and its fans, the others do not. Simple really.
I wasn't blown away by Andor (though it had lots of brilliant moments), but it was nice to have a series that was all about story and character, and wasn't simply coasting on nostalgia and our love for Jedi and lightsabers.

He complains about fire in space...

GPYowKgX0AA7Hr6.jpg

Return-of-the-Jedi-Star-Wars-Executor-Super-Star-Destroyer.jpg

This is why I can't take some critics and SW criticism seriously.
Yeah such a petty thing to pick on, by that notion sound in space should be an immediate bad thing in every film, rathar than the story telling part it is.

I watched the first two episodes, and oddly enough, the one thing that I noticed was the film grain. As far as I understand, most content is filmed digitally these days, so I thought it was interesting they went to the length of making it look like film, or at least trying to bring it in-line, visually, with the other films.

One of the things I've noticed with Disney+ content is that it always looks so clean, so I appreciated the effort to make it look a bit less 'polished'. To me, Star Wars is all the broken-down stuff on Tatooine, so that's how I visually identify it, so it's hard for me to accept planets like Naboo where everything is shiny and artistic. The sense of scale is hard to grasp. If we're telling stories within an entire galaxy of habitable planets, there's an infinite number of combinations of ecosystems and histories that are possible. It's hard to just learn about our own history on Earth, imagine having to do that for 27 other planets.

Also, this whole time I didn't realize The Old Republic and The High Republic were two separate eras. So, in the opening 'crawl' when they said this show was 100 years before the PT, I was a bit confused. Old Republic was thousands of years ago, High Republic was 100 years ago. So, when they say "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..." I wonder how long ago it really was. :unsure:

I watched the first two episodes, and oddly enough, the one thing that I noticed was the film grain. As far as I understand, most content is filmed digitally these days, so I thought it was interesting they went to the length of making it look like film, or at least trying to bring it in-line, visually, with the other films.

One of the things I've noticed with Disney+ content is that it always looks so clean, so I appreciated the effort to make it look a bit less 'polished'. To me, Star Wars is all the broken-down stuff on Tatooine, so that's how I visually identify it, so it's hard for me to accept planets like Naboo where everything is shiny and artistic. The sense of scale is hard to grasp. If we're telling stories within an entire galaxy of habitable planets, there's an infinite number of combinations of ecosystems and histories that are possible. It's hard to just learn about our own history on Earth, imagine having to do that for 27 other planets.

Also, this whole time I didn't realize The Old Republic and The High Republic were two separate eras. So, in the opening 'crawl' when they said this show was 100 years before the PT, I was a bit confused. Old Republic was thousands of years ago, High Republic was 100 years ago. So, when they say "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ..." I wonder how long ago it really was. :unsure:
I’m glad someone else noticed the “grain”. I was wondering if my TV/D+ didn’t want to play in dolby vision. :lol

I tried to go into this as open as possible. I had zero expectations. But it was still poor. Very much going for a PT vibe with bad dialogue, stilted acting but also cheap production values and average effects. Zero style to it. My favorite bit was when the droid pilots turned into chairs. Gave me warm and fuzzy memories of BoBF.

I tried to go into this as open as possible. I had zero expectations. But it was still poor. Very much going for a PT vibe with bad dialogue, stilted acting but also cheap production values and average effects. Zero style to it. My favorite bit was when the droid pilots turned into chairs. Gave me warm and fuzzy memories of BoBF.
Comparing this to the PT is a crime in itself.

The PT had at least good visuals, fun saber battles etc. I think most would agree with that.

This is like a CW Crouching Tiger, Hidden Jedi. Does not work at all, though I did enjoy *some* of it. And will watch it from week to week (my wife liked it and we need something to entertain us until House of Dragon Drops. :lol)

The little vagrant girl looked like she had just stepped out of a Galaxy Edge cosplay store she looked so spotless clean I began to question her validity as a street kid lol

The show looks like it was filmed in front of a live studio audience.
It honestly reminded me of those Star Wars hotel ads the way it’s filmed, but with digital grain added in. :lol

Comparing this to the PT is a crime in itself.

The PT had at least good visuals, fun saber battles etc. I think most would agree with that.

This is like a CW Crouching Tiger, Hidden Jedi. Does not work at all, though I did enjoy *some* of it. And will watch it from week to week (my wife liked it and we need something to entertain us until House of Dragon Drops. :lol)
I only cf the dialogue and acting to the PT nothing else

Back