Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
someone mentioned that this figure had some kind of residue on it.........a grease or oil???......has that been the case for everyone that got this? i know a lot of metal products are shipped/stored with a film of cosmoline on them (mainly firearms) and was wondering if this was the case with 3po.

Damn, Dane... Your pics are killing me. :(

Amazing Dane!!!

He looks incredible! Great shots as always :clap

Can't wait to get mine this week now :)

:clap Looks fantastic man!
I haven't moved mine from my desk to Detolf yet, I just like looking at him too much!

Another satisfied customer! :hi5:

Nice stuff, Dane. 3PO looks excellent with HT look in terms of body scale.

I'm so jealous, I hope I can get this at some point.

Interesting that this thing just seemed to come out of nowhere, created confusion, then ends up being the superior piece.

Thanks gents, so glad I was able to swing this! :hi5:

someone mentioned that this figure had some kind of residue on it.........a grease or oil???......has that been the case for everyone that got this? i know a lot of metal products are shipped/stored with a film of cosmoline on them (mainly firearms) and was wondering if this was the case with 3po.

Mine had the oily residue as well, but it's very slight. It's not visible on the figure at all, and isn't built up in any particular places or anything.

Lame. :(

I had like 10 minutes to snap these this morning, so they're pretty quick and dirty!

_MG_6722_zps6d21fdfd.jpg

_MG_6717_zps9574d2b8.jpg

_MG_6728_zps065bf6ed.jpg

_MG_6727_zps15a65a1f.jpg

_MG_6726_zps705764d8.jpg

_MG_6725_zps7fe6a7a9.jpg

_MG_6721_zpsc063b324.jpg

This figure achieves what most set out to, but rarely do...it's a perfect representation of the character in 1/6. Granted it was an easier task, the character being a droid and not a human, but that doesn't make it any less impressive to look at. A truly remarkable piece.

Which Yoda is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you acquire your Taito R2? They were just impossible to find anywhere - totally sold out (well, one shady site had them for $40 which sudddenly became $65 when you put it in your cart.) Friends in Japan finally found me one for about $22 but it was tough to co-ordinate.

Yeah, and I'm going to try sanding it and painting it. Not sure how crisp the sculpt is, but overall it's the right size. Still love the finish on the Hasbro for such a cheap item.

I got it from JapanToYou, that so-called "shady site" that Jedi Jim pointed out several times here. Not only did I luck out being able to pick it up for $33, but it arrived in a timely manner just like any other international purchase. I'd also like to sand away the seams on the dome, but the notion of having to repaint it is a much bigger job than I'd like to take on right now. BTW, it's still available at https://www.japtou.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=14741, but for inexplicably twice as much. :cuckoo:

Thanks for the nice words on the photos. The Medicom figure, for all its *ahem* shortcomings (sorry, couldn't resist), holds Threepio's trademark "stick-up-the-***" posture more easily than the Tamashii figure does, so I just tried to mimic it in my snapshots. Posing it this way also balances the weight of the figure better because, as it's often been said here, this sucker is HEAVY! While the ankles may not be strong enough to securely hold the figure up alone, I've noticed that by pointing the feet closer to a 45º angle helps support it if you don't want to bother using the stand.

But, l gotta say, this thing is a damn fine piece. As you can tell in my photos, it almost falls into a whole different category of 1/6 scale figure. You can see and feel where the extra cost to produce this thing went. However, whether it's worth the cost of a couple Hot Toys figures or two-and-a-half other Sideshow figures is open for debate. I personally don't regret picking this guy up one bit. But it almost overkills in quality.

Taito r2 is available at amazon.co.jp for ~2500 yen last I checked. It's not available from Amazon themselves though so you'll need a proxy.

Mine also has that very thin film or greasy residue which I think was applied to help minimize the chance for oxidation or rust in the even this figure sits in storage or on a store shelf.

As was mentioned earlier, the same thing is done to rifles and handguns when they are to be kept in storage for months.

Back