Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We definitely do seem to have set somewhere in the $375 range as the jumping off point for a lot of people. I think $325-350 is the limit for me - so this is going to be pins and needles till PO to find out if it is going to be that level - or more.

I'm sure when the bum rush of "Ordered!" posts comes in, my laptop screen will be head butted enough that I'll join at $400 - to my eternal shame and bankruptcy...

Jeez I wish SSC would have just done an amazing 1/6 Threepio and priced it in the $200-225 range. They hinted that they were working on it for years, now they appear to have dumped it and left us to the wolves.:(:mad::(:mad:

They aren't even answering Ask Sideshow questions any more, so not even any way to get a comment on where this Tamashii fig fits in.

Thisismadness.gif

aw **** it..................it's only money.......................:panic:

It'd be cool to get some answers. I'm surprised SSC have done the PF's of The Droids but then got Bandai to do the 1/6th's?

Anyway, I doubt I'll be able to resist these!

It'd be cool to get some answers. I'm surprised SSC have done the PF's of The Droids but then got Bandai to do the 1/6th's?

Anyway, I doubt I'll be able to resist these!

Maybe a blessing in disguise...

(SSC PF, Tamashii, Costume)

c3-1.png

Last edited:
Maybe a blessing in disguise...

(SSC PF, Tamashii, Costume)

c3-1.png

Perhaps it's the angle but the Chogokin does seem a bit "off" especially the eyes and eye sockets and cranial dent as well as the texture of the gold plating.

I know what you mean, kl, and I'd prefer it was closer to the finish of movie 3PO on the right. At the same time, as I've said before, I'm so used to seeing 3PO in so many different finishes that it doesn't bug me, ultimately (I also suspect the finish may have been choosen for durability - I'm OK giving up a mirror finish if it means the figure won't show every fingerprint and mark). Regardless, for the price, it's to be expected that everyone will want it to be perfect. Very much looking forward to seeing the pre-order go up, tomorrow, so we can get more details and hopefully put some stuff to rest.

Last edited:
I think the finish on the Tamashii - when viewed up close - has been a problem all along. It has that powdercoat look, not chrome. While Threepio's finish got duller as the Trilogy went on (by ROTJ, he was looking dull and orange) the chrome is very much his classic look.

I really hope they can make it a little better, but I have a feeling it has to do with what they can achieve with a fig that is part die cast metal, part plastic.

In terms of the sculpt, the eyes can look very different on Threepio depending on whether they are shadowed, if light is on the grills, or lights on. It's hard to compare these pics because the eyes have very different lighting conditions (note how the Tamashii eye ring surrounds aren't lit by the source light, making them look smaller.) The Tamashii's mouth isn't shadowed by the source light, making it look too big and giving it the "girl doll" look of lips Wor-gar picked up on. If it was shadowed by the source light, that issue would go away.

c3-1.png

Re: SSC PF, look at the brow/forehead on the SSC PF (area above its right eye,) then look at the costume. The SSC has nowhere near enough depth.

I would also argue the SSC eyes are not deep set enough, giving the face a too-flat look.

The "peak" at the top of his head also looks off, because the overall forehead is too sloped and not boxy enough.

The neck area just below the chin (and the too-large neck "ring") looks way off. The Tamashii looks very close.

Honestly it seems nitpick and is in the wrong thread, but I think the SSC PF is quite poorly observed, with errors all over the place. Even Threepio's "Backpack" thing isn't somewhat off, it's miles from being accurate.

Last edited:
The SSC eyes are too big and too forward. But the finish is good.

The Tamashii are too small and too sunken in. Their face is also too small for the head and sit too low - giving it too much forehead and too little chin. The grainy finish is just not desirable.

Accuracy-wise they are both off and I wouldn't pay $400 for a small figure.

When Kenner could produce gold chromed plastic figures back in the seventies/eighties, there is NO excuse for a high end action figure company to not be able to do that too. What the heck kind of process did Kenner use anyway?

Good eye, squeaks. The brow and eye wells on the PF are too shallow. Thanks for these comparison pics, btw.

TMG has a good point also that the eyes on the Tamashii do look a little small.

I guess what it boils down to is...

Do you prefer your droids to be 1/4 scale or 1/6?
Minor posing options or full poseability?

I think price will be very close between the two. But we'll see.
Tomorrow we'll have answers to a lot of questions.

Back