Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SSC eyes are too big and too forward. But the finish is good.

The Tamashii are too small and too sunken in. Their face is also too small for the head and sit too low - giving it too much forehead and too little chin. The grainy finish is just not desirable.

Accuracy-wise they are both off and I wouldn't pay $400 for a small figure.

When Kenner could produce gold chromed plastic figures back in the seventies/eighties, there is NO excuse for a high end action figure company to not be able to do that too. What the heck kind of process did Kenner use anyway?

I believe ithe process was called vac (vacuum) plating. I know it had a tendency to rub or even peel off after too much handling, at least my friends figures did. I've even seen some get a black discoloration on them. Mine always looked good though, but maybe I was more careful with them than most kids.

I'm probably being a complete arse for asking this, but what time of day do these pre-orders usually go up? I know SS is in California, so there's a three hour difference for me.

I believe ithe process was called vac (vacuum) plating. I know it had a tendency to rub or even peel off after too much handling, at least my friends figures did. I've even seen some get a black discoloration on them. Mine always looked good though, but maybe I was more careful with them than most kids.

Well, some have acidic fingers, I guess.

Never had a problem with mine. Only those I traded from others. And I was rather rough with mine.

Thanks for the answer. If Kenner could do that all those years ago, then there is no excuse for an expensive high end action figure company to not be able to do that either now.

One of the things I disliked about the 3.75" figures back then was the vac metal always rubbed off 3PO, Deathstar Droid, etc. The last thing I'd want is for Tamashii to go with anything similar. No offense, TMG, but I think you're really oversimplifying it and I'm actually a bit surprised such an argument would come from you, of all people. I'm sure you spent much more than $400.00 on your Marmit Vader prototype, so I don't understand how this can seem so outrageous to you.

Yep, guessing it'll be a few hours yet, though. Always seems SSC puts stuff up for pre-order quite late in the day.

Surely there will be a NRD on this, and I don't pay those so I won't be pre-ordering. At the anticipated price, I'm sure I can find one when and if I decide to bite. But I am eager to see if we get anything new in terms of pictures or information.

In this case, I have to anticipate R2's cost as well with this, as this pair needs to be uniform for me.

I'm just going to put money for these guys, & if they end up being as good / better than how they seem right now - win. :yess:

If not - I've done good by saving some money. :huh :lol

One of the things I disliked about the 3.75" figures back then was the vac metal always rubbed off 3PO, Deathstar Droid, etc. The last thing I'd want is for Tamashii to go with anything similar. No offense, TMG, but I think you're really oversimplifying it and I'm actually a bit surprised such an argument would come from you, of all people. I'm sure you spent much more than $400.00 on your Marmit Vader prototype, so I don't understand how this can seem so outrageous to you.

I'm also certain that vac metalizing has improved a great deal since then. Hell... people who wear C3PO costumes have theirs vac metalized and that suffers a lot of handling. I don't know what people did to their Kenner droids to get the metal finish to rub off - nothing I did resulted in it to come off and I can assure you I wasn't playing gently with my figures back then.

It's outrageous to me due to selective outrageousness. + the difference between the Marmit Vader and this is that the Marmit is super, ultra, insanely rare - this won't be. :wave

Yeah, that goes without saying (relative rareness). I was strictly comparing cost for a 1:6 figure. The main thing is it's pretty subjective. Obviously the vac metal finish appears to be a deal breaker for you, probably even if the figure itself were cheaper. In my case, the finish is not much of an issue.

i'm going to wait until Galactiboy finds me one for like 1/2 msrp...........:banana

Yup! Killed it for me, unless they go on the aftermarket alot cheaper, this will have to be a pass. Too bad cause it looks great.

What makes me sad is 4-Lom will probably follow suit and then I'm gonna be screwed out of completing my BH group. :(

Bwahaha.

SSC thinks to themselves...."why develop our own version when we can skim distributor fees off someone else's overpriced product".

there's no way they can put out 4-lom for them kinda bucks, no one would buy it. 3po will sell, but who would fork out $400 for 4-lom..?
Maybe we'll never see him from sideshow after all. Glad i just picked a hasbro one up on ebay for £15.

Back