Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But how often are you gonna leave it turned on? That has been the problem with all battery operated electronic toys. Cool? Yes, but more often than not they spend most of their time sitting on the shelf. Unless they can come up with an AC power solution that can be left always-on, forget it.

My Tron lightcycle spends its time turned off in a glass display case. I hardly take it out.

C-3PO is sad because no one will leave him on...
Keeping a real one powered up would be far less affordable...
The light up eyes are still how he looks when awake, and with the turned off, you can see what Threepio looks like turned off.

Price knocks me out of any interest in acquiring. I don't care about electronics much, won't be displayed turned on.

The price isn't as outrageous as it might seem, considering this has a lot of METAL parts, unlike all of the HT and Sideshow figures made of cheap plastic we have been buying all these years for $100 to $300. How much more does a metal spoon cost than a plastic one?

Already done... to the following result: FAIL.

IMG_9538.jpg
Oh yeah, remember reading that thread. Don't think the Tamashii's in too much danger, there.

The price isn't as outrageous as it might seem, considering this has a lot of METAL parts, unlike all of the HT and Sideshow figures made of cheap plastic we have been buying all these years for $100 to $300. How much more does a metal spoon cost than a plastic one?
True. It's just a tough amount of money to part with. Still, I'm not ruling it out. It is a work of art, IMO, and maybe I'll pick it up after release for a better price and after all the artibulation and scale issues have been resolved. I'd also like to see the R2 prototype's dome corrected before committing to 3PO.

Already done... to the following result: FAIL.

IMG_9538.jpg

Hmm... this just fell within my price range.

That just looks sloppy. Threepio's abdominal wiring looks nothing like that... mess. I'm sure some talented customizers will do it justice like the Medi Fett.

49409.6a00d83451b05569e20120a6372f4e970b-pi.jpg

Last edited:

It only weighs two pounds.

That just looks sloppy. Threepio's abdominal wiring looks nothing like that... mess. I'm sure some talented customizers will do it justice like the Medi Fett.

Even if the wiring were done better, his stomach looks weird, like he's been stretched on the rack. Not sure what else you could do to increase the height - there are no clothes to disguise it.

I think if you buy the Medi Threepio, enjoy the lower price and just live with the scale issues. Put him behind something on a small riser. He'll look great on the SSC landspeeder.

(Amazing that the Medi's $225-250 - which people were stunned by when it came out - looks great now.)

The gap is about 4 times too wide.

It's not a question of justifying the price in terms of production but justifying the price in terms of acquiring it. For me the price tag is justifiable if the thing is accurate according to my tastes. I don't care so much what it's made of... I just want to be satisfied with it on my shelf.

Like I said.. I'll just quietly start putting away some money for these guys, & source them eventually at my leisure - if the prices haven't skyrocketed down the track.

It's likely SSC's will be significantly cheaper.. & that's the quality you'll likely get as well.
Then again, their R2 might be better / more accurate than Tamashii's - who knows.

Being hasty never helps though.. :huh

This is an easy pass not only for the price,it just looks off and way too clean.
I'll patiently wait for a Sideshow version.

Aren't these the SSC ones we have been waiting on? With Medicom making 2 sets and now this set, I wouldn't think SSC will make their own set as well.

Aren't these the SSC ones we have been waiting on? With Medicom making 2 sets and now this set, I wouldn't think SSC will make their own set as well.

If the posts in this thread are any indication, this is going to bomb pretty badly, which will be seen as a rejection of the price point, NOT of Star Wars. If anything, I think may feel pushed into finally doing the droids sooner than later after this.

So he looks good, but at that price, even if I was employed right now I would not be ordering it. My price cap is $300 for a figure like the HT Bespin Luke that is over-the-top good and comes with a bunch of accessories to change the figure up with. Also, for me, it has to come with an awesome diorama display base like the HT Classic Predator figure or the light-up Weathervane. I have to be honest though, light-up features or sounds/speech functions just aren't that important to me since I rarely use them or display my figures with the lights on.

I agree. The figure looks great but there are too many unknowns, too little accessories, and not enough articulation to justify a $400.00 purchase. Kudos to all those who can afford this and that are getting it but it's too rich for my blood. I'll stick with my sloppy, mess of a medicom mod that shows no talent.

This is the Threepio to get.
Sure it's $400 but it's intricate and has metal parts.
The Medi isn't quite there, the old Hasbro isn't any good now, and I've got a feeling Sideshow won't be doing this in the near future nor the distant future.:wink1:

I just want some more information/details.

Back