Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man.. this collecting thing is such an expensive pursuit. Between this guy, Cmdr Bly, Sand People, DX13 Arnold, SP Amber - plus the other licenses I'm interested in.. I'm chasing my tail here. :gah: :lol

I have a very concentrated focus though, which certainly helps. :D

Perhaps this is their way of testing the waters, so to speak. Success with 3PO will have them moving full speed ahead with R2.

Interesting to see how many people think a $400 1/6 C-3PO is worth getting. Apart from stand there, this thing doesn't do a whole lot.

Interesting to see how many people think a $400 1/6 C-3PO is worth getting. Apart from stand there, this thing doesn't do a whole lot.

And that's what Tamashii is probably thinking too.
If sales tank, we may not even see their R2.

But I'm not too worried, there's other options... like Medi's. :monkey1

Fingers crossed it does sell well. Seeing this thing without an R2 and subsequently relegated to the 50%-off bin will be one gigantic kick in the nuts :lol

Fingers crossed it does sell well. Seeing this thing without an R2 and subsequently relegated to the 50%-off bin will be one gigantic kick in the nuts :lol
Seems to me if this is released without R2, it would be more valuable. So in reality, if it doesn't sell, probably would be worth more later.

I really hope that's not the case, I would like to see them continue this pursuit and pull of a solid R2 with lights like we saw on the Sideshow exclusive.

If they're testing the waters they should have started with r2!

Alfterall. We're all suckers for that little chap :)

That's true. But maybe goldenrod was more of a challenge to get right with the working arm pistons and so on. The maker sure had some serious love of this protocol droid. It looks fantastic. I may have to wait till tax returns before pulling this trigger.

They are less than 70 without any release pictures, sure some people will cancel when they get processing E-mail...but how many will give in when in hand pics start showing up...

And the Toy world works about 8 to 10 months ahead, if they want to release R2 in 2013 - he is already in the works...70 left really won't be enough to put on the brakes now...

That's true. But maybe goldenrod was more of a challenge to get right with the working arm pistons and so on. The maker sure had some serious love of this protocol droid. It looks fantastic. I may have to wait till tax returns before pulling this trigger.

:lecture You mean the "scholar". :D

They are less than 70 without any release pictures, sure some people will cancel when they get processing E-mail...but how many will give in when in hand pics start showing up...

And the Toy world works about 8 to 10 months ahead, if they want to release R2 in 2013 - he is already in the works...70 left really won't be enough to put on the brakes now...

Right! I bet we see R2 in earnest for Comicon. That would make sense and we'll be at this all over again for R2 while we drool over 3PO!

:lecture You mean the "scholar". :D

Haha. Right, the "scholar". That was dramatic, but whatever it takes, the dude knows his droids!

Cheap die-cast can start to disintegrate after a short time. This isn't cheap. :lol

Bandai have a had I bit of practice in this field, so I don't think that's a valid concern.

It's the metallic finish that can tarnish and oxidise. This is true of any die cast items with chromed or highly finished surfaces. Even the most expensive and well made. In fact their doesn't seem to be relationship between cost and quality in this field. You could pick up a piece of crap for ten dollars and have it in perfect condition after ten years, yet a super expensive collectible could oxidise after a year on display. Or not at all, impossible to tell.
This could be perfect, last a lifetime.

Yeah, this does feel a little like an experiment... I was dubious about this figure initially but came around because of the apparent quality. If anything goes wrong with the finish, or it gets floppy joints, etc., then I'll be out of diecast for good. I am somewhat reassured by their long history with the medium, though. I'd be a lot more nervous if this was their first foray into the field or something.

Not sure what show this was from:

1344684944395.jpeg

I really love the idea of this, but every time I look at the pics I just see the inaccuracies rather than the positives? The neck is too long, the head is slightly bobbled, the gizmos on the arms are too blocky, the reflectiveness of the gold etc etc..

But you know what? It's beautiful. I really want one, only things stoping me is the price and I'm worried about the metal deteriorating after a year.

Yeah, some of that was inevitable though (longer neck, larger pistons, larger head for electronics) given that this is a pretty much 100% articulated/light-up threepio. The pistons are really oversized and noticeable though. I guess it was all a trade-off but yeah, it is beautiful.

The duller reflectiveness of the gold may be due to the side-by-side composite aspect - part of the torso is plastic (around the joints) but most is die cast metal and it all has to look like the same thing. That aspect could also spell trouble in the deterioration department.

It really is one of the most impressive SW figs to date. Can't wait for all the pics to go up showing this fig next to SSC/HT figs.

Yeah, some of that was inevitable though (longer neck, larger pistons, larger head for electronics) given that this is a pretty much 100% articulated/light-up threepio. The pistons are really oversized and noticeable though. I guess it was all a trade-off but yeah, it is beautiful.

The duller reflectiveness of the gold may be due to the side-by-side composite aspect - part of the torso is plastic (around the joints) but most is die cast metal and it all has to look like the same thing. That aspect could also spell trouble in the deterioration department.

It really is one of the most impressive SW figs to date. Can't wait for all the pics to go up showing this fig next to SSC/HT figs.

yeah, i really want to see some more in hand pics.
i think it is beautiful, but it would want to be perfect for that price IMO!
:lol

I really love the idea of this, but every time I look at the pics I just see the inaccuracies rather than the positives? The neck is too long, the head is slightly bobbled, the gizmos on the arms are too blocky, the reflectiveness of the gold etc etc..

But you know what? It's beautiful. I really want one, only things stoping me is the price and I'm worried about the metal deteriorating after a year.

I see the larger pistons, but I don't see or agree that the head is larger or the neck is too long. There's only one picture of the neck that could give that impression, but that's because they have him looking up and he is in hand, not standing. The other pictures and even the box show C3PO with a properly sunken head and I would argue that the head is actually smaller than the costume.

I'm looking for pics to do a side by side, now.

Back