Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw that image. It's so close, but not enough for me to buy a Medi, to replace the hasbro figure.

Watch ANH when 3PO and Luke are searching at night for R2. Luke and 3PO are essentially the same height, maybe 3PO is slightly taller but you can't really check the grade of the ground.

star-warse284a2-in-concert-luke-skywalker-and-c-3po-in-a-scene-from-star-warse284a2-iv-a-new-hope-onscreen.jpg

ep4_key_117_r.jpg

Soneone here had the SS Tatooine Luke (which is shorter) next to the Medi3PO and it really didn't look so bad. 3PO was still smaller but by only a very slight margin. Slump Luke a bit and bend the knees and you have solved your problem.

Or don't put 3PO next to any human comparison.

That's a good point.

But are the Medi's at true 1/6 to begin with or even SSC's Luke for that matter?

That's a good point.

But are the Medi's at true 1/6 to begin with or even SSC's Luke for that matter?

Good point. I think the Tamashii is supposed to be true 1/6th. So it will be interesting to see how it matches up to SSC figures.

Either way, I only have sandtroopers and Jawa's, at the moment. So I will put them on a display where it won't matter...but I just thought the metal would be impressive to touch, if visitors were checking him out. Also, I wasn't happy with the Medi head.

None of the figures you own are true to 1/6th. SSC and HT are all over the place even within lines.

But even heights can be wrong. Actors lie about their height, the SW wiki is all over the place, and even judging by the films (the holy grail) you never know who's standing on what or bending their knees to get a good frame.

If you pick one figure and say "this is accurate 1/6th" then all the others will be wrong and not measure up.

Here's an interesting picture I found. The metal is duller, which I like, and they put the chest dent on him, which I haven't seen before.

I'm starting to drool....

NYCC12-Tamashii-Star-Wars-003_1349980675_zps8c0ebc36.jpg
Tamashii_Nations_C-3PO_R2-D2_NYCC-09_zpscf19e545.jpg

Last edited:
You should take a look through this thread from the beginning. Plenty of photos throughout. There was another batch of photos that popped up after NYCC in October (including the one you just posted).

True, but I'm talking about the way distant future where plastic does sell for $400 a pop!

I'm partially joking of course, but just look at how much Sideshow's prices have gone up in the past couple of years. A basic figure was averaging out at maybe $90 before. Now all the Bounty Hunters and Joes are going for $175-$200.

We all complained about Medi's high prices for the droids. But now that is practically the new normal even for Sideshow! In another few years $400 for each droid might not be that far-fetched!

Try $50-55 - that's what Luke Jedi and the original figs were. Shocking, yes.

I nearly modded it but decided it wasn't worth the effort - Once you unscrew the torso you can get that mid section out, and I was gonna sand it down and put a piece of grey, grade 2000 sandpaper around (to simulate e-3po's greyish buff undersuit) with real wires going down it.

Thing is, who can be arsed to do all that :lol

I'm doing just that with my custom Hasbro Threepio. I even bought some ribbed fabric to mimic his under suit.:slap I'm going to feel like a total idiot when the Tama pics hit and I pay that $400.

Watch ANH when 3PO and Luke are searching at night for R2. Luke and 3PO are essentially the same height, maybe 3PO is slightly taller but you can't really check the grade of the ground.

star-warse284a2-in-concert-luke-skywalker-and-c-3po-in-a-scene-from-star-warse284a2-iv-a-new-hope-onscreen.jpg

ep4_key_117_r.jpg

Here is the pic I posted earlier. It shows Luke and 3PO on the same plane on level floor. It's the best height comp pic I've seen. Also note how condensed Threepio's middle "wires" section is (though that section is usually very small throughout SW due to that original costume, it's bigger in ESB and ROTJ.)

It's possible it's not Daniels in the suit, but the suit is the suit (i.e. can't be stretched or condensed very much) and Daniels did pretty much all the 3PO appearances on TV such as Sesame Street and Muppets in the wake of SW.

lukeC3.png

Soneone here had the SS Tatooine Luke (which is shorter) next to the Medi3PO and it really didn't look so bad. 3PO was still smaller but by only a very slight margin. Slump Luke a bit and bend the knees and you have solved your problem.

Or don't put 3PO next to any human comparison.

In that pic, the SSC Luke is on a shorter body, not the body it came with. So it has been fudged slightly.

honestly, I very recently handled the Medi Threepio and was able to stand it next to a huge variety of SSC SW figs and it just wasn't even close scale-wise. It's beautifully detailed and stunning to see in person but it is NOT in scale, even if some pics give that impression (and quite a few do.) The only thing off in terms of details is the head, which looks too oval.

Last edited:

Are you talking about this pic?

picture.php

As swsqueakquels pointed out, my Luke is on a SSC Pro 1.0 body, making both him and the Medi Threepio (and, say, Greedo) slightly shorter than most actual 12" figures.

That is a great pic PJ. I have that saved in my favs.

Here is my modded 3PO(again) heightened a 1/4 inch and added fabric and real wire to the midsection. Not as fancy as the tamashii but it can be done.
ja9e6avu.jpg
ubu2ezy2.jpg
u7asydyb.jpg

It looks like a big mess but someone with more skill could make this amazing. Looks like I was crazy enough to try it.

Here is my modded 3PO(again) heightened a 1/4 inch and added fabric and real wire to the midsection. Not as fancy as the tamashii but it can be done.
ja9e6avu.jpg
ubu2ezy2.jpg
u7asydyb.jpg

It looks like a big mess but someone with more skill could make this amazing. Looks like I was crazy enough to try it.

Which R2 is that?

Which R2 is that?

It's the Taito Clock.

Sorry for posting this AGAIN but just in case anyone was looking for a correct 1/6 scale R2 like the one in this pic

attachment.php
it's for sale here. A little steep since I got mine for $40.00 shipped but at least everyone will know where to get one.

https://www.japtou.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=14741

attachment.php
attachment.php

It is a full 7 inches tall and fully articulated including third retractable leg.
attachment.php

Perfect scale for R2. Much taller and wider than hasbro. Looks great in this shot too.

ja9e6avu.jpg
ubu2ezy2.jpg
u7asydyb.jpg

That Threepio looks like he has been stretched out by EV-9D9's torture droids. :eek

That Threepio looks like he has been stretched out by EV-9D9's torture droids. :eek

That may be true, but it takes a lot of guts to modify a $250 figure like that, however the results may look. Thanks for sharing, JJ. :wink1:

That may be true, but it takes a lot of guts to modify a $250 figure like that, however the results may look. Thanks for sharing, JJ. :wink1:

:lol And wires.

But yeah, have to agree. After holding the Medi Threepio (and beholding) I'm not sure I could do what jedijim did.

And sorry PJB, I can never remember your username when I mention your pics! I do love that Luke/Threepio pic too.

It's the Taito Clock.

Sorry for posting this AGAIN but just in case anyone was looking for a correct 1/6 scale R2 like the one in this pic

attachment.php

it's for sale here. A little steep since I got mine for $40.00 shipped but at least everyone will know where to get one.

attachment.php

Whoa, props again to JediJim! When you first posted this link, that Taito R2 was selling for $70 plus shipping, which was a little rich for my blood. However, it's now going for $33.15! :blissy

Needless to say, I placed an order. I tried to order a 2nd, but the website seems to limit quantities to one per order. Thought I was buying the last one there for a moment...

BTW, anyone ever order from these guys before? There's no information about from where they ship, a physical address, nor even anything on their privacy policy page (it must be REALLY private).

It's the Taito Clock.

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

It is a full 7 inches tall and fully articulated including third retractable leg.
attachment.php

Perfect scale for R2. Much taller and wider than hasbro. Looks great in this shot too.

$15 ship from Japan? To the person who owns this. What is it? I know it said it's a clock but what kin and will it run off us power? Vday is coming up and I know my girlfriend would love this. Btw you can pm me also

It's a clock that's numbers are hidden by one of the smaller front panels. It's pretty much a figure except for the hidden clock screen and hour/minute buttons on the back. Fully articulated. Head swivels legs move third leg retracts and feet move. Pretty much everything you'd expect from an R2 figure. Worth the $40.00 in my opinion.

:lol And wires.

But yeah, have to agree. After holding the Medi Threepio (and beholding) I'm not sure I could do what jedijim did.

And sorry PJB, I can never remember your username when I mention your pics! I do love that Luke/Threepio pic too.

Yeah. It was pretty bold. The good news is I can put it back the way it was. Nothing that can't be put back.

Back