Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the larger pistons, but I don't see or agree that the head is larger or the neck is too long. There's only one picture of the neck that could give that impression, but that's because they have him looking up and he is in hand, not standing. The other pictures and even the box show C3PO with a properly sunken head and I would argue that the head is actually smaller than the costume.

I'm looking for pics to do a side by side, now.

C3POChogokin_zpsb738b3a6.jpg
c3po1_zpsfa86e10d.jpg

$400 EACH! :lecture

They are indeed gorgeous. I just fear that by the time (in the distant future) Sideshow and/or HT get to them, they may end up costing that much or more!

True, but I'm talking about the way distant future where plastic does sell for $400 a pop!

I'm partially joking of course, but just look at how much Sideshow's prices have gone up in the past couple of years. A basic figure was averaging out at maybe $90 before. Now all the Bounty Hunters and Joes are going for $175-$200.

We all complained about Medi's high prices for the droids. But now that is practically the new normal even for Sideshow! In another few years $400 for each droid might not be that far-fetched!

I wouldn't be able to get to grips with the Medi r2/r5 scale, but the protocol droids are ok, depending on what you want (they arent freakishly small but may be shorter than what was true. 4-lom actually is spot on coincidently :lol)

IMG_0582.jpg

Each of those other figures are bang on 12 inches, but theres also a measuring tape for the stringent amongst you!

IMG_0535.jpg

No, that aint the medi r2-d2 on the table :lol

I nearly modded it but decided it wasn't worth the effort - Once you unscrew the torso you can get that mid section out, and I was gonna sand it down and put a piece of grey, grade 2000 sandpaper around (to simulate e-3po's greyish buff undersuit) with real wires going down it.

Thing is, who can be arsed to do all that :lol

:gah:! Now you're making me think Medi is the more affordable way to go. I had a chance to buy one, but the seller wouldn't set it beside another sideshow figure for reference. Do you have a SS ANH Luke you could put 3po beside? Please :lol

I don't I'm afraid, but I reckon he would be bang on 12 inches too, its the usual standard unless its a special body. Go measure him then do some MS paint magic and insert him into the photo at his height versus the measuring tape :lol I reckon the mild undersizing of the medi versus SSC's oversizing in luke's case would make it look too obvious.

I wish more people doing reviews etc would pose their figures next to measuring tapes so you can see the scale and how long.. err.. i mean tall they are.. oo er.

edit: also keep in mind, the headsculpt on the medi isn't as accurate as the tamashii one.

Last edited:
Actually I think Luke is a tad smaller than the rest of the line (i could be wrong). Han is roughly the size of your military figures (12"/ 1:6th=6ft). And if you look at movie stills (Han and 3po) the height difference is pretty close. Not dead on, but enough for me to hold on to $400.

Is R2 released? And if so, where are images?
My understanding is Tamashii's holding R2 hostage until they see how many 3PO's they sell to gauge whether it's worth producing him. I'm not too worried, though. If they fail to make R2, someone will make one that scales well eventually.

images

Interesting comparison there.

As for more medicom temptation, check out feroze's diorama shots with jabba, c3po looks fantastic in those pics. But its a hard choice, I wouldn't spend that on a heavy, expensive tamashii, but nor would I be satisifed with medicom's if I wanted a definitive c3po and r2d2, just because of c3po's headsculpt being a bit off.

Don't mind it for my background droid tc-14/e3po or for customising though.

Agreed, I would never be satisfied paying Tamashii price, but I'm not sure I'd be 100% satisfied with Medi's version either. Although it is nicer than Hasbro's place holder I have now.

Watch ANH when 3PO and Luke are searching at night for R2. Luke and 3PO are essentially the same height, maybe 3PO is slightly taller but you can't really check the grade of the ground.

star-warse284a2-in-concert-luke-skywalker-and-c-3po-in-a-scene-from-star-warse284a2-iv-a-new-hope-onscreen.jpg

ep4_key_117_r.jpg

Soneone here had the SS Tatooine Luke (which is shorter) next to the Medi3PO and it really didn't look so bad. 3PO was still smaller but by only a very slight margin. Slump Luke a bit and bend the knees and you have solved your problem.

Or don't put 3PO next to any human comparison.

Back