Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why, but I bought mine from Amazon. Looks like shipping from Japan, Micky and Smile...free shipping. Hopefully my order doesn't take weeks, but my experience is Japanese companies are the fastest shippers.

Hobbylink Japan (hlj.com) have it for $325 + shipping. No help to you US folk though I guess.

https://www.hlj.com/product/BAN977974

But by the time you pay (if you have too) your bank to turn us to yen (about 2/4 depending on your bank). Then the shipping, unlike ssc they are not going to eat it pass a point (ssc doesn't charge the full shipping fee to ship overseas). Then it could happen (to me never in over 20 years) but it still could. Inport fees. And then if there is a problem. You have to deal with there laws not us law.

Still add the shipping (if you are in the us) you are not going to save much. But remember the last one. There laws.

Sorry I am being lazy and not wanting to trawl through this thread. I am wanting to get this C3PO but on the basis they will follow it up with an R2?

Can somebody let me know if they intend to? I do not want to spend this kind of money on C3PO to then not have R2 as a companion piece.

Thanks

Sorry I am being lazy and not wanting to trawl through this thread. I am wanting to get this C3PO but on the basis they will follow it up with an R2?

Can somebody let me know if they intend to? I do not want to spend this kind of money on C3PO to then not have R2 as a companion piece.

Thanks
I'll just quote myself from a few pages back...

My understanding is Tamashii's holding R2 hostage until they see how many 3POs they sell to gauge whether it's worth producing him. I'm not too worried, though. If they fail to make R2, someone will make one that scales well eventually.
I'd also add that they do have an R2 proto, but it looks just slightly underscaled and the dome is smooth instead of having the brushed aluminium look, so those of us interested in the pair are hoping for changes from proto to production.

That's all it really is with R2, granted, those are 2 really major issues with the current proto. The chrome dome will not work and he's on the small side. He needs to be larger to be in correct scale with 3PO.

I wonder if the "scholar" is responsible for R2 as well. :dunno

Yeah, I'm thinking he had to be involved in both but even if it was someone else responsible for R2, he should've needed to sign-off on scale considering most - if not all - collectors of this piece will want them as a pair. How anyone with even a cursory knowledge of Star Wars could also miss the dome is perplexing. Hopefully the R2 we saw was only meant to be a super rough stand-in and they haven't actually committed to casts and whatnot. :pray::pray::pray:

The problem is surely most people would want the guarantee that R2 is next if they are dropping that amount of money on a C3PO. It's catch 22 really :(

Yeah, I'm thinking he had to be involved in both but even if it was someone else responsible for R2, he should've needed to sign-off on scale considering most - if not all - collectors of this piece will want them as a pair. How anyone with even a cursory knowledge of Star Wars could also miss the dome is perplexing. Hopefully the R2 we saw was only meant to be a super rough stand-in and they haven't actually committed to casts and whatnot. :pray::pray::pray:

That's what I'm thinking too.

They started on 3PO first, had a big show coming up, but decided to announce that they were making both. So they quickly had to "throw" together an R2 for the event.

Sounds good on paper at least. :D
I hope more info is released about R2 soon and fingers crossed the necessary corrections have been made.

Yeah, and the other thing I'm thinking is why would they say R2 was conditional on 3PO's sales if they'd already invested the huge amount of money necessary for the casts. I'm guessing if that had already been done, then they'd be stuck with R2 regardless of the scale issue and have no choice but to produce in order to try and recoup the investment. I think we may have cracked this case wide open, Centurion! :yess:

:pray:

Maybe now they understand that they have to do both in order to get more sales for either?

I don't know, either way, you can't go wrong getting a metal 3PO. I am going to do a display that only needed C3PO, so I don't really need an R2, but I just can't see buying the Medi, as it's so small it wouldn't match up to the rest of my displays with SS and Marmit figures.

The problem is surely most people would want the guarantee that R2 is next if they are dropping that amount of money on a C3PO. It's catch 22 really :(

That's how I feel.
These 2 go together hand-in-hand.

You got to have just as much attention to detail on R2 as 3PO for this line to be successful.

Yeah, and the other thing I'm thinking is why would they say R2 was conditional on 3PO's sales if they'd already invested the huge amount of money necessary for the casts. I'm guessing if that had already been done, then they'd be stuck with R2 regardless of the scale issue and have no choice but to produce in order to try and recoup the investment. I think we may have cracked this case wide open, Centurion! :yess:

:pray:

Indeed.
I just hope the results are in our favor. :)

That's how I feel.
These 2 go together hand-in-hand.

You got to have just as much attention to detail on R2 as 3PO for this line to be successful.

I can't drop $400 plus on C3PO with no assurances of R2 being made :(

I will just have to wait and follow with interest for now.

I can't drop $400 plus on C3PO with no assurances of R2 being made :(

I will just have to wait and follow with interest for now.

I hear ya and I seriously considered doing the same. The thing is, I have to get this 3PO. Tamashii nailed it. Despite minor flaws, I think it's the best likeness of the protocol droid anywhere. :)

I'm sorry guys its nice and all but 400 for a c-3po? That's just unjustified. Sure I've dropped that on customs I'm positive will never see the light of day, but c3po? You know they will make c3pos until the end of time.

It's an absurd amount of money period. If I could get one for half that I'd consider to but it would still be overpriced. A c3po should cost no more than 150 unless he can have a really well done detachable limb feature or alternate plates with various levels of scuffs and weathering.

It looks really cool and all but it's too much for c3po

But by the time you pay (if you have too) your bank to turn us to yen (about 2/4 depending on your bank). Then the shipping, unlike ssc they are not going to eat it pass a point (ssc doesn't charge the full shipping fee to ship overseas). Then it could happen (to me never in over 20 years) but it still could. Inport fees. And then if there is a problem. You have to deal with there laws not us law.

Still add the shipping (if you are in the us) you are not going to save much. But remember the last one. There laws.

I've ordered from HLJ before and they've been great. Oz has no taxes or duties for imports unde $1000, so for us it'd be $325 + shipping, which'd be around $50-60 for something like this. And their return policy is friendly. Having said all that, this is a lot of money to risk if, as you say, there is a problem. I want to be able to have any problem resolved quickly and efficiently, so I went with the 100% confidence option - SSC :)

I'm sorry guys its nice and all but 400 for a c-3po? That's just unjustified. Sure I've dropped that on customs I'm positive will never see the light of day, but c3po? You know they will make c3pos until the end of time.

It's an absurd amount of money period. If I could get one for half that I'd consider to but it would still be overpriced. A c3po should cost no more than 150 unless he can have a really well done detachable limb feature or alternate plates with various levels of scuffs and weathering.

It looks really cool and all but it's too much for c3po

That's fair enough if you don't care about the metal factor. Personally, maybe oddly, the weight and feel of this in hand is a big attractor for me. If you want the metal, the thing is going to cost more. But yeh, Japanese sellers have been offering this for closer to $300-325, so $400 is pushing it beyond well beyond that.

I haven't been collecting for as long as a lot of people here, but even so, I haven't come across a C-3PO I've liked. The Medi (and its 2.0) are fine if you can look past the scale issue - which I just can't. And comparing these two, with the painted wires and what not... there's just a leap in quality with the Tamashii in terms of how it's been designed. I do agree that a weathered look would've been nice to see, but I think the designer was going for a 'pure' representation. Interchangeable parts is a stretch even for this money sadly.

Looking at the company most likely to bring out a high-end droid, I look at the clones Sideshow has churned out over the years and can't figure on why they've overlooked the two characters that, to me, are front and centre of the entire Star Wars saga. Vague promises of them being 'in the works' could easily translate to not seeing these things in the next three years.

Being able to enjoy this figure during the interim - however long that might be - is worth the money for me. C-3PO is one of my all-time favourite movie characters from one of my all-time favourite movies, so... that's how I've justified it to myself :)

Back