Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its really makes my Medicom version look bad... Wish the price was lower... Is Sideshow calling this their version, or will they release one down the road?

Take me home, Master !!! :panic::panic::panic:

C-3PO1002_zpsfcfc3adc.jpg

I think the whole, "it's not chrome enough" or "the finish is not correct", was a decision made to minimize fingerprints on the figure.

I just paid for my HLJ order, but am holding off on shipping as I consider buying a second one to sell later. This seems a piece that would hard to top, unlike the Toys McCoy Indy that someone mentioned. Only different Bandai versions (like say a ESB version) seem like real competition. What to do?

I just paid for my HLJ order, but am holding off on shipping as I consider buying a second one to sell later. This seems a piece that would hard to top, unlike the Toys McCoy Indy that someone mentioned. Only different Bandai versions (like say a ESB version) seem like real competition. What to do?

Yeah, but 3PO as a character is not exactly Indy or TDK Joker, which are "centrepiece" characters of a collection/display, so were breakthroughs that went through the roof price-wise when they were nailed via the DX's of their time. This 3PO will never be bettered, but 3PO is a supporting guy you put with others, not really "the" guy you put alone at the top of the Detolf with all the lights on him. Interested to see where this guy goes price-wise, especially if there are cheaper plastic/chromed versions from SSC using the same molds (which there would have to be.)

It's the one issue I have with this fig (and the price of this stunning achievement) - it is mind-blowing, but it's "just" 3PO. They have done a brilliant job on the arm articulation, yet 3PO as a posed figure on display probably doesn't really need that articulation. A 100% accurately sculpted plastic chromed statue with ball jointed arms and spinning head would pretty much do the job. In the movies - and any iconic display - his arms are in much the same position.

Great review vid, thanks for posting! So much win in the small details... like the magnet that secures the restraining bolt being placed in the torso rather than on the bolt itself. And it appears to have no trouble standing on its own, the finish doesn't seem to attract fingerprints at the slightest touch, the batteries are easily accessed... this thing has some serious design time invested in it. At amiami's price it is an absolute bargain for what it is. And the $400 MSRP is fair - a sh *t tin of money for sure, but fair. The only thing that this is missing for me is an announcement that R2 is on the way.

Have seen a few vids where he seems to be able to stand just fine on his own. The big worry with that is him falling from a bump to the cabinet or whatever (I could see a fall from the top of a glass Detolf having pretty tragic consequences).

I secure all of my figures with a length of fishing line secured to a clear plastic cable hook:

PLASTIC_REMOVABLE_CHRISTMAS_CLEAR_CLIPS_6Pcs__634650335007516131_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but 3PO as a character is not exactly Indy or TDK Joker, which are "centrepiece" characters of a collection/display, so were breakthroughs that went through the roof price-wise when they were nailed via the DX's of their time. This 3PO will never be bettered, but 3PO is a supporting guy you put with others, not really "the" guy you put alone at the top of the Detolf with all the lights on him. Interested to see where this guy goes price-wise, especially if there are cheaper plastic/chromed versions from SSC using the same molds (which there would have to be.)

It's the one issue I have with this fig (and the price of this stunning achievement) - it is mind-blowing, but it's "just" 3PO. They have done a brilliant job on the arm articulation, yet 3PO as a posed figure on display probably doesn't really need that articulation. A 100% accurately sculpted plastic chromed statue with ball jointed arms and spinning head would pretty much do the job. In the movies - and any iconic display - his arms are in much the same position.
Considering how many collectors have balked at the retail price, I just don't see people paying double or triple a few years down the line, as you say.

I know what you mean in regards to articulation, squeakquels, but I'm glad it's there. It's conceivable one might have 3PO in a waving arm pose or whatnot, plus it will be fun to play around with his ROM for its own sake. Definitely surprised how easily he can be pulled into components and could see some cool ESB dioramas (sans Chewy, of course).

Edit: Good points about the clips and line, Lejuan, and the price, too, for that matter. Also hoping for an R2, of course. Cautiously optimistic it's going to happen, now, though, given the response to in-hand pics.

The only thing that this is missing for me is an announcement that R2 is on the way.

Also hoping for an R2, of course. Cautiously optimistic it's going to happen, now, though, given the response to in-hand pics.

Other than that long, long delayed GG 1/6 R2, there are simply no good options for a properly scaled 1/6 R2. Oddly, from memory, the Tama R2 that has been shown so far has similar scale problems to the Medi, Hasbro and others - it's quite noticeably too small (not just too short.)

Not sure how Tama/Bandai could nail 3PO so incredibly in terms of scale and proportion yet drop the ball on R2.:dunno So far that is.

I think the whole, "it's not chrome enough" or "the finish is not correct", was a decision made to minimize fingerprints on the figure.

Well, you can see a crisp reflection of the guy in the collectiondx review. Not sure how much more chrome you can get than a mirror-like reflection.

I'm more nostalgic about this character, and I'm particularly fond of the suit design, so I have a different take from most buyers maybe in that C-3PO could happily stand alone in my collection. I'm also a designer, so the engineering of the thing alone will appeal as a display piece. Others can confirm or dispute this too, but I think the costume design has a lot of cross-cultural appeal - the Japanese in particular love a good robot design - so I think this will be picked up by those kinds of fans, not just Star Wars junkies. I'd be very surprised if this came up in any bargain basement bins - and I'm not sure it's likely we'll ever see a second production run either. Also, I don't think it'd be feasible for SS to use the same molds for a plastic version - the design is very much based on metal, so there'd be substantial re-tooling involved. I dunno... maybe I'm blinded by my like for this figure, but I can see this thing selling out pretty fast in the wake of the in-hand pics and video reviews, and if not skyrocketing in price then certainly retaining its value over time.

I agree about the articulation though - this figure just doesn't need it. I kind of even question the need for elbow articulation. I can't recall C-3PO bending his knees past 10 degrees. A ball joint on the neck and rotating shoulders should cover around 95% of display needs. This figure could've met most collectors' needs without the excruciating detail - but for me personally, I derive a lot of aesthetic pleasure just from how it's made and the material its been made from.

I'm more nostalgic about this character, and I'm particularly fond of the suit design, so I have a different take from most buyers maybe in that C-3PO could happily stand alone in my collection. I'm also a designer, so the engineering of the thing alone will appeal as a display piece. Others can confirm or dispute this too, but I think the costume design has a lot of cross-cultural appeal - the Japanese in particular love a good robot design - so I think this will be picked up by those kinds of fans, not just Star Wars junkies. I'd be very surprised if this came up in any bargain basement bins - and I'm not sure it's likely we'll ever see a second production run either. Also, I don't think it'd be feasible for SS to use the same molds for a plastic version - the design is very much based on metal, so there'd be substantial re-tooling involved. I dunno... maybe I'm blinded by my like for this figure, but I can see this thing selling out pretty fast in the wake of the in-hand pics and video reviews, and if not skyrocketing in price then certainly retaining its value over time.

I agree about the articulation though - this figure just doesn't need it. I kind of even question the need for elbow articulation. I can't recall C-3PO bending his knees past 10 degrees. A ball joint on the neck and rotating shoulders should cover around 95% of display needs. This figure could've met most collectors' needs without the excruciating detail - but for me personally, I derive a lot of aesthetic pleasure just from how it's made and the material its been made from.

The only time I remember C-3PO's knees bending was when he sat in the throne/chair in ROTJ.

I'm 100% with you on this in terms of loving the design (and he is in the top five of icons of SW) - just playing devil's advocate in terms of the figure.

And as I've said, I just can't imagine SSC not using these molds for other (plastic) protocol droids. They must have a "manufactured by" credit on this product for a reason beyond simply distributing a small run $400 metal figure.

The only time I remember C-3PO's knees bending was when he sat in the throne/chair in ROTJ.

Sitting in Ben's hut and sitting in the landspeeder (with, if you look closely, a silver plastic blanket for upper legs.):lol Any other sitting time Anthony Daniels was like the newsreader wearing boxer shorts below the desk.

And as I've said, I just can't imagine SSC not using these molds for other (plastic) protocol droids. They must have a "manufactured by" credit on this product for a reason beyond simply distributing a small run $400 metal figure.

We can't expect transparency on this, but how great would it be to actually know what the hell is going on with Sideshow and the droids and Tamashii... It has always been puzzling to me why SS have put out so many secondary characters but never - outside of a throwaway line some time ago - hinted that they intend to release the droids. Can they really be that hard to make?

We can't expect transparency on this, but how great would it be to actually know what the hell is going on with Sideshow and the droids and Tamashii... It has always been puzzling to me why SS have put out so many secondary characters but never - outside of a throwaway line some time ago - hinted that they intend to release the droids. Can they really be that hard to make?

For the record...

“Ask Sideshow” for November 30th, 2009

Q. I have a question, as do so other many collectors out there. Will we being seeing any bounty hunters in this 1/6 scale line? Also, any droids R2-D2 and C3-PO anytime down the road in 1/6th? And will you finish off the Jedis, like Agen Kolar and Yoda (of course!) in this awesome 1/6th scale line? And Count Dooku? I just love this series! I'm glad your sticking with the 1/6th scale line and keep up the great job on these special figures!

A. Most definitely - bounty hunters are an essential part of the Scum and Villainy line! Yes, C-3PO and R2-D2 are coming in 1:6 scale from both Medicom (soon) and Sideshow (later), so you'll have an excellent selection of droids to add to your collection. Yes, we are looking at other Jedi candidates - we've felt their recent absence and hope to add some momentum to the Jedi Order in 2010 and into 2011. Dooku - definitely and sooner than later.

“Ask Sideshow” for January 22nd, 2010

Q. Are there any plans to release a 12-inch scale R2-D2 and or C-3PO? You’ve made them life-size, but for the average collector they’re too expensive. I think that it would be great to release them in a two-pack like the Han and Luke as Stormtroopers.

A. Yes, we are in development on both droids for 1:6 scale, and they’re likely to see release in 2011.

“Ask Sideshow” for March 31st, 2010

Q. I am wondering if Sideshow will ever produce C-3PO, R-2D2, Yoda, and Chewbecca in the 1/6 scale? No Star Wars collection could ever be complete without these characters!

A. Fully agreed–we’d be fools not to release the droids AND Chewbacca!

“Ask Sideshow” for September 30th, 2011

Q. I have a question or suggestion. Whenever you get around to doing a 1:6 scale C-3PO, please try to put articulation into the legs of some ball joints so he can sit in a crouch position? It would be pointless if he couldn`t sit, then the display wouldn`t work if you had a 1:6 scale landspeeder to transport them to look for R2. Thanks for listening and keep up the great job!

A. Duly noted. Rest assured that we plan to pack in all possible articulation.

It seems SSC can be a bit like a customizer announcing their big ambitions for a planned fig, then getting distracted by other stuff, then ultimately not having the time or expertise to pull them off in the end. My guess is they tried 3PO and it wasn't working, then Tamashii came to them a year or so ago... Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

FYI, "Ask Sideshow" has answered one submitted SW question in nine months.

Originally Posted by swsqueakquels View Post

I don't think you can used the same molds. I would have to check on this. With one being metal (Hotter) and the other being plastic (cooler). Again I would have to ask, I would not know till sometime next month when I see him (He makes items for Hospitals).

Even if they did do this. Buy selling the molds they could lost the R&D and rights to their C3PO.

...“Ask Sideshow” for September 30th, 2011

Q. I have a question or suggestion. Whenever you get around to doing a 1:6 scale C-3PO, please try to put articulation into the legs of some ball joints so he can sit in a crouch position? It would be pointless if he couldn`t sit, then the display wouldn`t work if you had a 1:6 scale landspeeder to transport them to look for R2. Thanks for listening and keep up the great job!

A. Duly noted. Rest assured that we plan to pack in all possible articulation.

It seems SSC can be a bit like a customizer announcing their big ambitions for a planned fig, then getting distracted by other stuff, then ultimately not having the time or expertise to pull them off in the end. My guess is they tried 3PO and it wasn't working, then Tamashii came to them a year or so ago... Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

FYI, "Ask Sideshow" has answered one submitted SW question in nine months.
I remember reading that last Q&A about making 3PO able to sit and was wondering how the submitter could think that would work. Ball joints on a 12" 3PO would look horrible.

Good analogy in regards to SSC being full of big plans but being unable to deliver for whatever reason.

Well, you can see a crisp reflection of the guy in the collectiondx review. Not sure how much more chrome you can get than a mirror-like reflection.

Well, 3PO did have a mirror-like reflection, so that's what it should have been.

Here is Tamashii's proto which had a frost finish to it:
star-wars-c-3po-deluxe-metall-figur-sideshow-spaceart-sw025-a.jpg

Tamashii's final production piece appears to have moved closer to a mirror finish, but still not quite there:
021023yur7ugf9rfe940e9.jpg

The real deal:
C-3PO_EP3-IA-88041_R_8x10.jpg

AnthonyDaniels.jpg

I would have preferred the mirror-like finish for this figure, but as it turns out, the final finish is not bad after all. I'm happy with how this turned out, but it is by no means a "perfect" model.

Back