Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record...

we’d be fools not to release the droids

Surely not... couldn't be :monkey3

Thanks for compiling all of that swsqueakquels... I think you could be right:

It seems SSC can be a bit like a customizer announcing their big ambitions for a planned fig, then getting distracted by other stuff, then ultimately not having the time or expertise to pull them off in the end.

...I would have preferred the mirror-like finish for this figure, but as it turns out, the final finish is not bad after all. I'm happy with how this turned out, but it is by no means a "perfect" model.
Great comparison pics, Centurion. Didn't realize just how bright 3PO's coat was at the beginning of ANH (think I'll watch it again once 3PO arrives in June, just to compare it for kicks with what's on the screen). So glad that Tamashii did not opt for a weathered version. I agree that they didn't nail the finish to that degree, but I do think they earned the "PM" moniker. Realistically, it's very tough to envision anyone beating this figure.

Great comparison pics, Centurion. Didn't realize just how bright 3PO's coat was at the beginning of ANH (think I'll watch it again once 3PO arrives in June, just to compare it for kicks with what's on the screen). So glad that Tamashii did not opt for a weathered version. I agree that they didn't nail the finish to that degree, but I do think they earned the "PM" moniker. Realistically, it's very tough to envision anyone beating this figure.

Yeh, a mirror finish would've been pretty spectacular but with the attention to detail they've put into this I can only guess that they took a whole bunch of factors into account and settled on the best possible option. Like the arm hydraulics for example being over-sized to accommodate the articulation - they sacrificed complete screen accuracy to achieve the best result in 1/6.

the finish on the Medicom one has a slightly richer looking color, imo....this figure is pretty darn awesome, however....can't believe he's only three easy payments of $700 each!!!!

Yeh, a mirror finish would've been pretty spectacular but with the attention to detail they've put into this I can only guess that they took a whole bunch of factors into account and settled on the best possible option. Like the arm hydraulics for example being over-sized to accommodate the articulation - they sacrificed complete screen accuracy to achieve the best result in 1/6.
Agreed. I'm hoping a big part of that consideration was the longevity of the finish. Would be heartbreaking to watch it deteriorate in any way.

those pics are from ROTS. that movie has C3PO in his pristine condition so his finish it more mirrored/chrome. Tamashi wasn't going for the ROTS look, they went for an OT look hence the restraining bolt so I'm sure they didn't want the finish that chromed.

Good catch, DarthAlias! I just saw the Tantive background and assumed ANH, not even thinking about the end of RotS. Well, guess that means my memory isn't as bad as I thought. :p

I have not followed this thread 100% but I have not noticed and time frame mentions so I was quite surprised to get a ship notice on this today from hlj.com that mine has shipped. $325 and $32 for shipping. I should have it in hand by Friday next week here in Chicagoland Looking forward to it.

I have not followed this thread 100% but I have not noticed and time frame mentions so I was quite surprised to get a ship notice on this today from hlj.com that mine has shipped. $325 and $32 for shipping.

Me too. I'm just sitting here looking at it in my Private Warehouse.

Do you know what the difference between the FedEx shipping and the EMS is?? Both are trackable with a 2-4 day delivery time, except one if $10 less than the other. Is it just down to personal preference between FedEx and EMS/USPS??

Well, 3PO did have a mirror-like reflection, so that's what it should have been.

I would have preferred the mirror-like finish for this figure, but as it turns out, the final finish is not bad after all. I'm happy with how this turned out, but it is by no means a "perfect" model.

Yeah, he's not quite as mirror-like in SW as ROTS, but the Tama finish is probably not the degree 3PO was in SW ceremony and ESB Medical Frigate. In ESB and ROTJ, they had hit the dulling spray big time. He almost looks matt in ROTJ.

EE_zps240ba83e.jpg

3854650172_fbd087d126_o_zps5e643c4f.jpg

Me too. I'm just sitting here looking at it in my Private Warehouse.

Do you know what the difference between the FedEx shipping and the EMS is?? Both are trackable with a 2-4 day delivery time, except one if $10 less than the other. Is it just down to personal preference between FedEx and EMS/USPS??

I think so and since I have a little more faith in FedEx and their tracking it was an easy choice for me. Too many times I've had tracking on post office stuff to never be heard from again and good luck getting any help whatsoever.

I'm 100% with you on this in terms of loving the design (and he is in the top five of icons of SW) - just playing devil's advocate in terms of the figure.

You make some good points as does LeJuan, whose attitude on the design's appeal I share. I see the iconic status that transcends the films, but as you say does that make enough collectors actually buy
C-3PO in a way they would Darth Vader?

I want this stupidly overpriced droid so bad. I have $300 in Sideshow rewards points, but I will still know how much it was and it would forever drive me insane.

Amiami has em for around 330$ shipped. But i just can't seem to pull the trigger even with how sexy it is. (Probably cause it's just 3po, not a Vader/Fett/Luke etc)

As an individual, 3PO isn't that important to me. But in terms of having a complete SW collection he's integral. You just can't have SW without R2 and C3PO. But he's too damn expensive. Just can't do it.

Back