Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Terminator 2 and 3 showed that all metal terminators can time travel so I don't think the flesh rule is as hard and fast as it was in the first movie.

Huh? When did that happen? I certainly don't remember it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Didn't Robert Patrick come through just as "living metal" or something? And wasn't the chic in T3 the same deal? (I don't think she was clothed in flesh... but it's been awhile.)

Edit: maybe my earlier post should have read "all-metal."

it's a good, fun show. unless you over analyze it and it's easy to bring it down but i still enjoy it and well...what else is on t.v.? bionic woman, deal or no deal, american idol, the apprentice....o.k. i have to stop now, i'm making myself sick.

i can't wait for the SW t.v. show to come out.....there will be riots in the street with the nitpicking on that one!

i just figured that the head wasnt in the activated time stream. the head got blown off and sailed into the already activated time field and probably overloaded the reverse negative power flux capacitor node. i just hate it when that happens.:lol

i just figured that the head wasnt in the activated time stream. the head got blown off and sailed into the already activated time field and probably overloaded the reverse negative power flux capacitor node. i just hate it when that happens.:lol

Ah, yes! It seems so simple now... :lol:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Yeah, it must've inverted the polarity and emitted a positronic tachyon burst which... damn, that's all the Star Trek technobabble I can remember.

or the writing just sucks. :D

When there's a key element of a fantasy universe that they base huge amounts of the show on (like even having the gun buried in the Termnators thigh so he can be sure of having it), and then throw it out for dramatic effect...yea, I don't think that's over analyzing.

But some folks liked Bionic Woman, so there's really no accounting for taste. :lol

The show isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't all that and a bag of chips. Thank God Chuck was back on tonight.

i can't wait for the SW t.v. show to come out.....there will be riots in the street with the nitpicking on that one!

OMG, I think I am going to avoid these boards after that first episode... its going to get ripped to shreads.

or the writing just sucks. :D

When there's a key element of a fantasy universe that they base huge amounts of the show on (like even having the gun buried in the Termnators thigh so he can be sure of having it), and then throw it out for dramatic effect...yea, I don't think that's over analyzing.

But some folks liked Bionic Woman, so there's really no accounting for taste. :lol

The show isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't all that and a bag of chips. Thank God Chuck was back on tonight.

Wow. What's next for you, gonna burst into an Italian restaurant and try to convince people that pasta doesn't taste as nearly as good as they think it does?

And you're wrong to assume that just because a movie over 20 years old made a big deal about time travel rules that a show geared for modern audiences isn't allowed to take some liberties without the writing sucking. A big rule of dramatic literature is that drama trumps logical causality. Just ask the shark that blew up at the end of Jaws.

I'm not so sure that the Sarah Connor Chronicles is in the same universe as the movies -- just as Smallville isn't in the same universe as Superman Returns and Blade The Series wasn't in the same universe as Blade the movies (or TV's MASH vs. the movie or Alice vs. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore). We can only hold the show accountable to the rules presented in the show and I don't remember specific time travel rules given yet. (And don't throw out that the Terminator had a gun in his thigh in the pilot. We don't know what that was about. Plus, that was the pilot. Kramer had a dog in the pilot of Seinfeld. You don't hear people getting too concerned with the dog disappearing.)

And I assure you, while they're welcome to watch, this show is not aimed at the over 40 crowd who were old enough to see the R rated movie in 1984. Frankly, Hollywood doesn't care what their opinions of the show are.

Wow. What's next for you, gonna burst into an Italian restaurant and try to convince people that pasta doesn't taste as nearly as good as they think it does?

And you're wrong to assume that just because a movie over 20 years old made a big deal about time travel rules that a show geared for modern audiences isn't allowed to take some liberties without the writing sucking. A big rule of dramatic literature is that drama trumps logical causality. Just ask the shark that blew up at the end of Jaws.

I'm not so sure that the Sarah Connor Chronicles is in the same universe as the movies -- just as Smallville isn't in the same universe as Superman Returns and Blade The Series wasn't in the same universe as Blade the movies (or TV's MASH vs. the movie or Alice vs. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore). We can only hold the show accountable to the rules presented in the show and I don't remember specific time travel rules given yet. (And don't throw out that the Terminator had a gun in his thigh in the pilot. We don't know what that was about. Plus, that was the pilot. Kramer had a dog in the pilot of Seinfeld. You don't hear people getting too concerned with the dog disappearing.)

And I assure you, while they're welcome to watch, this show is not aimed at the over 40 crowd who were old enough to see the R rated movie in 1984. Frankly, Hollywood doesn't care what their opinions of the show are.

This isn't about a movie 20 years ago - it's about this show. On this show they went for the idea of the Terminator carrying a gun buried in his hip. They're clothes can't travel with them. They EVEN SAY IT IN THE SHOW. John asks Cameron about the weapon/time machine in the bank, because he knows they can't bring the equipment back and she says the scientist had to go back and build it out of parts they could find. How much clearer does it have to be? And then they decide for 'effect' to break the rule they've set without any explanation by having the head come through. That's called bad writing. I certainly hope you're not implying that people under 40 can't tell the difference between bad writing and good.

I'm not telling people in an Italian restaurant that pasta is bad - I'm telling them that the pasta at Big Boy's isn't as good as the pasta at Bucci De Beppo. That doesn't mean I don't ever have the spaghetti at Big Boy's - I already said I'd be watching Sarah to see if they manage to get their legs - but if I can have my choice, I'm eating the stuff that tastes better. If I had to choose between watching Sarah and a show like Lost, Heroes or The Office, there'd be no contest.

Last edited:
This isn't about a movie 20 years ago - it's about this show. On this show they went for the idea of the Terminator carrying a gun buried in his hip. They're clothes can't travel with them. They EVEN SAY IT IN THE SHOW. John asks Cameron about the weapon/time machine in the bank, because he knows they can't bring the equipment back and she says the scientist had to go back and build it out of parts they could find. How much clearer does it have to be? And then they decide for 'effect' to break the rule they've set without any explanation by having the head come through. That's called bad writing. I certainly hope you're not implying that people under 40 can't tell the difference between bad writing and good.

I'm not telling people in an Italian restaurant that pasta is bad - I'm telling them that the pasta at Big Boy's isn't as good as the pasta at Bucci De Beppo. That doesn't mean I don't ever have the spaghetti at Big Boy's - I already said I'd be watching Sarah to see if they manage to get their legs - but if I can have my choice, I'm eating the stuff that tastes better. If I had to choose between watching Sarah and a show like Lost, Heroes or The Office, there'd be no contest.

Why would I be implying that people under 40 can't tell the difference between bad writing and good? I think you've missed my points entirely. Maybe you should read my post again.

And you know what, some people think Bucci De Beppo is crap. Do you want them bursting in the middle of your dinner, telling you how you should be at La Dolce Vita? Not every show is Lost or the Office. And Heroes, quite frankly, now that's a show that's not "all that and a bag of chips." That show has been written around in circles. I'm not saying it's crap, but it's not something I would hold up as an example of good writing.

Film and TV are tailor made for their audiences and when it comes to the Sarah Connor Chronicles, you ain't it. You think that because you had a big problem with it, that the audience it was made for will. It's ignorant and arrogant to think they're going to react the same way you did.

I don't know why you feel the need to quibble over the head. The head is not clothes or equipment. All-metal Terminators go through in the movies. The head was "alive" at the time. It could have been covered in gore and flesh when it entered the bubble that burned off before it was spit out. In fact, just to throw it out -- the head, as written, might have been covered in gore but the f/x or the censors couldn't do it. Yet it's the writing that's bad?

Why does the head come through the bubble? Because it's good TV. They didn't open the show with that image by mistake.

Hey, maybe time travel laws can make mistakes... I bet time travel got written up for his boss on that one:lol

Once again, I think someone else brought up an interesting point. Robert Patrick wasn't flesh. He wasn't covered in flesh. He was completely made out of liquid metal. So, doesn't that throw the rule that was set up in T1 out the window?

I will still stick with my theory which got completely ignored. The terminator was still fully skinned when the rift opened. Sarah shot right as the time vortex engulfed them. So, why is it so hard to accept that the head entered the rift with flesh around it, but the flames, etc. singed it all away by the time they entered 2007? It's no more improbable than the physics of T1 or T2. Hell, if it was the movies, they would probably have shown the head decapitated and covered in burned flesh. But, that wouldn't have gotten by TV censors. I respect your opinion, Micheal. But, to call something bad writing that can be easily explained is unfair. It may be bad writing to you, but I have found the first 3 eps. very well written.

Once again, I think someone else brought up an interesting point. Robert Patrick wasn't flesh. He wasn't covered in flesh. He was completely made out of liquid metal. So, doesn't that throw the rule that was set up in T1 out the window?

I recall Robert Patrick being naked when he came through, so one assumes that he must be able to turn into living flesh if he was naked instead of being metal or already having clothing formed on him.

Watching the scene again, I think you're right, DouglasMcc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the scene was conceived as using a flaming severed head but for budget, artistic or censorship reasons became the skull. Regardless, the end result of a skull bouncing out of the time bubble and heading for the screen is a great way to open a show and it is in thanks to a writer.

I recall Robert Patrick being naked when he came through, so one assumes that he must be able to turn into living flesh if he was naked instead of being metal or already having clothing formed on him.

So, we are okay with physic that say metal can turn into flesh, and vice versa. But, we flip out at the possibility that a skull's flesh was singed away during time trip? ok ....

T-1000 was liquid metal. It appeared as flesh and clothing but was metal -- remember the bullet holes that reformed? And the fact he could wallk through bars? So it's a good point that the T-1000 went thru time without a flesh covering. I guess 'liquid' metal breaks the rule.

Screwy rule not to be able to send metal back anyway. Guess it sounded realistic at the time (1984). You'd think metal would be the easiest thing to send back.

Back