The Amazing Spider-Man - OPEN SPOILERS NOW

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man

Need to see this thing in HD

From another site.

"A projectionist on another site who has the trailer along with cap has said the low quality bootleg doesn't do the POV Justice, on the big screen in 3D it is MIND BLOWING. I.e 'YOU' are spider-man jumping and swinging in the big city"

With the San Diego Comic-Con convention starting this week, promotion for next year's much-anticipated reboot The Amazing Spider-Man is expected to hit hard; including a teaser debut. And now, chatting recently with the L.A. Times' Hero Complex, director Marc Webb weighed in essentially on escaping Sam Raimi's previous trilogy among other things.

On where he starts with the character's history on the page and on the screen...
"I feel we have certain obligations to the iconography of Spider-Man, which is based mostly in the comics. The other thing is Spider-Man has a lot of different incarnations in the comics. While there are certain mainstays —
wtgwsgewg.png
a kid who gets bitten by a spider, he’s an outsider, the death of his Uncle Ben helps endow [him] with the mentality of a hero — those things remain the same but there’s also room for interpretation. He’s been around since the 1960s. The wealth of material here — whether it’s story or character — is really profound but I also feel it’s my responsibility to reinvent it in some ways."

On how we'll see that reinvention manifest...
" Peter Parker is a science whiz. If you look back to the early Stan Lee and Steve Ditko comics, he’s a nerd with big glasses. The idea of what a nerd is has changed in 40 or 50 years. Nerds are running the world. Andrew Garfield made a movie [called "The Social Network"] about it. Nerds are no longer pariahs and knowing how to write computer code is longer a [mocked] quality. What was important in those early comics was this notion that Peter Parker is an outsider and how we define that in a contemporary context. That, I think, was one of the challenges for us — getting Peter Parker’s outsider status to be current. Peter Parker is a real kid. He’s not a billionaire. He’s not an alien. He’s a kid who gets picked on and gets shoved to the outside. The 90-pound weakling, that’s who Spider-Man is when he gets bit. So much of the DNA of the character is the fact that he was a kid when he got bit. He is imperfect, he is immature and has a bit of a punk rock instinct. In his soul he’s still a 90-pound weakling even after [the transformative bite]."

wtgwsgrgseergergrgewg.png
On feedback from fans suggesting that Garfield wasn't bulky enough...
"Andrew went through an incredibly intense training. When you see the before and then see the after — he is not a weakling. He is a lithe character. We wanted to make it more about agility than this sort of Atlas-like power figure. He’s not Superman. He was a unique figure in Marvel Comics and all of comics. He was this kid, too, and we want to keep that consistent even to some extent when the costume is on. I love a lot of the “Ultimate Spider-Man” artwork and story lines, there’s a lot more of an adolescent, playful quality. And I think that’s a big part of Spider-Man universe and hasn’t really been explored cinematically before."

On other differences we'll see between this film and Raimi’s trilogy...
"One of the things we tried to do was keep the stunts more grounded physically and that was a huge challenge because you have a character whose abilities are superhuman. How do you do that in a way that’s convincing and real? We had a really great stunt team, the Armstrongs, who were vigilant in the creation — with Andrew — of a physical language that felt grounded but also extraordinary. We spent months and months and months developing rigs so he could swing in a way that wasn’t computer-generated. Obviously there’s going to be enhancements and CG [sequences], but it’s based in a physical reality and that’s a new technique [for this film brand]. When you walk out of the theater, I want the world you see to resemble what you saw on the screen. Part of the joy of cinema [is that] you make the impossible look real. I wanted it to be more grounded and more realistic and that went for the emotion of the scenes, the physical action and wardrobe. It’s less based in Steve Ditko world and probably closer visually and more influenced by “Ultimate Spider-Man” but it is also very much a world of our own devising."

On anything he can say about the film's villain...
wtgwsgrgsergeergegrwg.png
"I have to dodge that question. I can tell you this much — it’s a new villain, something we haven’t seen before and villains help define the story in a very specific way. Marvel villains — and Spider-Man villains in particular– are rich and complicated and interesting and Rhys [Ifans] has done just a fantastic job in translating that and there will be a lot of new things to explore for the fans. They’re tragic in the Greek sense, meaning it’s a competing idea of what’s good. They’re not just guys, they’re people trying to do good or to do the right thing and on that journey that effort becomes subverted or manipulated or it sours. It makes for a much more compelling adversary. In the Marvel Universe, traditionally, the villains have more texture. This is open to interpretation because there are so many incarnations of the villains over the years and it varies, but the [tradition is there]. Tom Stoppard was on Charlie Rose’s show once and he said what makes great drama is competing ideas of what is good, and there’s no better mythological version of that than what you see in Marvel."

On whether stepping out of Raimi's films' shadow was his biggest challenge...
"We’ll have to see. The truth is I don’t know. For me, it’s enough of a reinvention that it is a different Peter Parker. In the comics there’s just ongoing sagas. Why can’t we do that cinematically? What the truth was: I like the other movies and I was a little bit skeptical but then I asked myself if I wanted to see [this new story and interpretation] and the answer was yes. I was interested in that universe and I believe I have something to say that’s different enough to be worth my time. I think there’s a lot to explore as far as the adolescent quality of this superhero and just seeing him in high school again gives you so much to mine in terms of behavior and story and the contemporary mythological context of high school and what it is."

On whether Comic-Con is a "make-or-break" moment for him...
"Legends of Hall H — people should write songs about it. A lot of our credibility is based on fan perception in some way. I’m really excited to connect with the fans. I feel like we’ve been a little bit under the radar in terms of our communication. I think it’s a great way to announce the new qualities that we’re putting out there and just connect with the audience in a way that we haven’t before."

I am trying hard to keep an open mind but I think it's a mistake to try to be totally different from Raimi's Spidey. Bash the third film all you want but the first two films got so many things right.

I watched them again recently and I still love them. It a movie that still stand the test of time. The web swinging sequence is still fantastic and most importantly, it actually feels like a comic book movie.

I am honestly a little tired of all this realistic dark knight approach that everyone making a superhero movie seems to wants to adapt.

It might work for dark knight but definitely not spidey.

I watched them again recently and I still love them. It a movie that still stand the test of time.

That's where i differ. I have a hard time watching them over and over. No rewatch value for me, even if i'm in the mood. (Thought they were just OK movies)

It's why i'm so anxious for this.

I am honestly a little tired of all this realistic dark knight approach that everyone making a superhero movie seems to wants to adapt.

It might work for dark knight but definitely not spidey.

I'm with ya on that one. The Nolan approach works for Batman because Bruce Wayne is a "real" guy with no powers. Many of his villains have no real superpowers. When you've got a guy who gets bitten by a spider and starts sticking to walls, realism goes out the window. You have to have some fun with the absurdity of it.

have they explained at all yet what his Spiderman suit is supposed to be made of?

Ugh, that's hideous.

spider-02.jpg

What's funny is, I remember a very similar article from USA today back in 2001 about "Official Spider-Man Movie Merchandise" and they show cased the 2002 Super Poseable Spider-Man movie figure from Toy Biz. Damn, doesn't even feel like a decade.

Yea that figure is terrible. The quality of spidey fig's and movie fig's went down after 2007 when it was the hot new thing to make figure's smaller with terrible detail and release 6inch figure's 10 month's after the movie is out. Such an awful for inch figure that is. I miss the Six inch spidey figure's from 1 and 2.

Yeah, this movie is gonna suck.

Hey atleast the teaser for spidey looks miles better than tdkr teaser.:wink1:

That's where i differ. I have a hard time watching them over and over. No rewatch value for me, even if i'm in the mood.

It's why i'm so anxious for this.

It might be blasphemous to say it here, but I am the same with The Dark Knight. I mean it's a movie I watched six times in the cinema but I pop in the BD recently and I just couldn't finish it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it doesn't stand the test of time but it's just one of those movies that are so 'heavy' that I can't bear too many repeated viewings.

The Spider-man films on the other hand are like comic books. I can pop it in from time to time and still get enjoyment out of it. It's the same with SW for me. I still watch them all every month.

The Dark Knight is like this freaking long novel that I will only read once and that's it. Granted it's a great novel, but I just don't have the energy to go through it again.

Yea that figure is terrible. The quality of spidey fig's and movie fig's went down after 2007 when it was the hot new thing to make figure's smaller with terrible detail and release 6inch figure's 10 month's after the movie is out. Such an awful for inch figure that is. I miss the Six inch spidey figure's from 1 and 2.
I think they totally went downhill when hasbro took over from Toybiz.

The Spidey (and Marvel) figures were at their peak with Toybiz. I still have the Spiderman 2 super poseable 18inch spidey and it's the best Spidey ever made (yes, even better than HT in the sense that I can pose that thing with reckless abandon and not worry about it breaking.

It might be blasphemous to say it here, but I am the same with The Dark Knight. I mean it's a movie I watched six times in the cinema but I pop in the BD recently and I just couldn't finish it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it doesn't stand the test of time but it's just one of those movies that are so 'heavy' that I can't bear too many repeated viewings.

The Spider-man films on the other hand are like comic books. I can pop it in from time to time and still get enjoyment out of it. It's the same with SW for me. I still watch them all every month.

The Dark Knight is like this freaking long novel that I will only read once and that's it. Granted it's a great novel, but I just don't have the energy to go through it again.

we all have our own tastes...me personally i cant even count how many times ive watched Batman Begins and the Dark Knight...Spiderman 1 i saw maybe twice...Spiderman 2 i saw once, Spiderman 3 saw only 30 min of it...

its just we all have our own tastes. I love all of Nolan's films hes made. ive watched them all over and over...ive even read the books he based some of his movies on. Read the Batman Begins and TDK novelizations. just couldn't get enough of them...

im excited again for Spiderman. looking forward to the reboot!!

I still have the original 2002 one with the gargoyle and the Super Poseable Green Goblin.

The figures still hold up very well as far as today's standards go. I remember just finding them in the store and not knowing too much about the film.

SpiderManSuperPoseable-Toybiz.jpg

410WylaMeeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I still have those two. I even have the Spiderman-2 super poseable spidey. That thing is the best 6 inch spidey even made. Every bit as poseable as the 18 inch version.

I still have the original 2002 one with the gargoyle and the Super Poseable Green Goblin.

The figures still hold up very well as far as today's standards go. I remember just finding them in the store and not knowing too much about the film.

SpiderManSuperPoseable-Toybiz.jpg

410WylaMeeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
See now that's a quality movie figure. i remeber great excitment and joy when i got this in 2001 and how much fun it was. These new figure's especially that new spidey figure is horrendous and I hope that's not the best they got. If that's it then I'll wait for hot toy's.

Back