The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume that as of now they still aren't planning on including 3D with 8K?

Nope 3D nowhere in sight.

You have no idea how much I cherish my 80” 3D I won’t watch Avengers, TWS, CW, JP, Dredd and a dozen others in 2D that’s how much I love them in 3D at home.

I firmly believe that Cameron and the electronic companies are working on glasses free 3D I really do.

In reality, aren't we still about 3 years from 8K actually being affordable AND enough blu rays in 8K remastered to make it worth it?

Get your 4K now and enjoy it. Just make sure its at least 55"... go 65"-75" if you can. One day, you'll be able to hang that in your bedroom or perhaps even the bathroom.

Yeah that’s fine i’ll accept this just don’t be buying any $3,000 4K tv lol

Last edited:
Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

If they ever do push 3D again, hopefully the existing software will somehow be compatible with the new tech. I have over 60 3D movies, and i'm not buying them twice.

I was surprised to see that there are still 3D movies being released in the US, but not many.

Crimes of Grindewald and the most recent Grinch movie being two examples.

We have to replace the bedroom TV (waiting for super bowl sales) but the idea of 8K is enticing, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey, jye (and you other tech nerds) ... what's your thoughts on the Samsung 75" NU7100?
If not that, what's the best TV of that size in the same price range, regardless of make?

If they ever do push 3D again, hopefully the existing software will somehow be compatible with the new tech. I have over 60 3D movies, and i'm not buying them twice.

I was surprised to see that there are still 3D movies being released in the US, but not many.

Crimes of Grindewald and the most recent Grinch movie being two examples.

We have to replace the bedroom TV (waiting for super bowl sales) but the idea of 8K is enticing, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Yeah hopefully our current 3D tech carries over which I think it will.

Hey, jye (and you other tech nerds) ... what's your thoughts on the Samsung 75" NU7100?
If not that, what's the best TV of that size in the same price range, regardless of make?

NU model is edge lit.

TCL 75” with local dimming is up for PO now at $1,800.

The NU has a decent bright picture but the blacks suffer a little.

Samsung QLED 82"

Jesus. Well what HDMI cord will I need then?

Get the cheap Amazin Basics HDMI that will work perfectly.

Why are we talking about SKINT?

SNIKT8K

Original SW OT has been out of official circulation for 13 years (or 24 years if you ignore the crappy 2006 DVD's) and yet those that want them can have them in HD glory so hopefully there will always be a way to get physical copies of the films we love.

Re: The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Sad article if true: https://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011119-1500

I still find it hard to believe that physical media for films will soon come to an end when vinyl records are still alive and kicking for music lovers.
I would hope, just like with music, when the industry tries to decide the consumer doesn't want something anymore, that one it's gone, there is a loud uproar. Cinemaphiles were able to keep laserdiscs afloat for many years. I know lots of times where streaming just isn't an option because of subpar internet, not really an option for 3D, and if you care enough about 4K (and HDR), then streaming isn't always going to cut it. What's the point of streaming a movie with HDR? It's never looked anywhere near as good streaming as it does being read directly off a disc.

As for 4K not meeting expectations it's the industry's fault for releasing so many discs that are 4K HDR in name only ::cough:: Wonder Woman ::cough::

They obviously didn't take it to seriously, so why should the average consumer?

I only buy physical copies simply because it comes with a digital copy and costs the same as just a digital copy. Just like with video games, I can resell a physical copy and not a digital one.

I’m going to say a very dirty word remove your kids from the room.

Compression!

But even discs have it because it’s impossible to fit 5 terabytes of a raw film data onto a 100GB disc.

But make no mistake about it the compression on a bluray compared to streaming are nowhere at the same level.

Netflix streams at what 10-15-20-25 Megabits per second.

HDMI 2.1 will carry 48Gbps for up to 10K video and 120 fps!!!

Where is my Michael Jordan or Clint Howard laughing gif lol

As it stands bluray sends out 128Mbps way over what internet streaming can handle and it needs too because the movies on the disc are encoded at such high numbers which is where the quality comes from.

For me it’s a quality vs convenience battle but for the corporations this is about an easier path to profitability with lowering overhead while reaching a much larger consumer base not everyone wants to buy players it’s just cheaper to stream.

But if you want all your movies you’re going to need multiple streaming platforms.

I rather just buy the disc I want with a digital code instead of chasing channels.

Look there are plenty of movies in my collection where I can shrug my shoulders at them being sent over the internet but there are plenty of movies where the highest quality is the priority.

I've never downloaded my "digital versions" to any of my blurays. I wonder if I should? I wonder where I keep them? I wonder why anyone needs access to their favorite movies via their phone or tablet?

I think the digital codes are a great addition especially with these movies now costing $25-$35.

Sometimes near bedtime when i’m already laying down under the covers and I don’t want to get the disc from the main room i’ll throw on the digital version.

I don’t mind sacrificing the quality during that time it’s more about just putting it on for relaxation since I probably won’t finish the movie.

If i’m doing a proper full viewing right after dinner time then yeah I want full quality so I use the disc.

More options is always better.

I've never downloaded my "digital versions" to any of my blurays. I wonder if I should? I wonder where I keep them? I wonder why anyone needs access to their favorite movies via their phone or tablet?
Digital copies are great when you have kids and when you're on the go. I'd prefer my children handle the discs as seldom as possible, so digital is a great way to manage that. It's also nice when you're away. Right now I have over 180 titles on digital, and gives us a lot of options on the road.

Back