The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Jye and Khev - I'm about to get the Sony UBP-X700 player and when checking prices, Amazon kindly shows me there is a newer version of this player. Granted it only has 3 reviews; do either of you know if this player does anything beyond what the X700 does? I can't seem to find too much info on it.

I believe the older X700's required a firmware update for Dolby Vision but the one I just got had it ready to go out of the box.

I’m unaware of an updated 2019 X700 model unless they got rid of the 3D lol

Another good option I tell people is the Xbox One it supports 4K, DV, 3D and obviously plays games for a similar price.

The only reason I avoid the Xbox is it doesn't play nice with other formats - like my copy of Harmy's DE Star Wars (the one you should get).

I believe the older X700's required a firmware update for Dolby Vision but the one I just got had it ready to go out of the box.

Good to know it's shipping with that now.

I then stumbled across this, https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-now-offers-high-end-4k-player-with-dolby-vision/, so now I'm torn. Do I snag the X700 since the update appears to be taken care of or do I wait and see what this can deliver?

Me personally I have zero interest in Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG, what a dumb name anyways lol) since I don’t watch and will never watch live tv ever again.

Last edited:
Me personally I have zero interest in Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG, what a dumb name anyways lol) since I don’t watch and will never again watch live tv ever again.

I just want it to cover the basic 4K bases is all I care about. Honestly don't even know what HLG is, but if it doesn't effect the 4K playback, then I don't care.

Looking at them side by side, the X700 covers all the same bases.

2uglyf.jpg

lol

J

That was a bummer of a story to read. Heavily signifies that streaming is the way things are headed. :dunno
I don't know, even with decent broadband, not everyone has the ability to stream 4K all the time. And even when the connection is very fast, it's still not as good as when you watch a disc.

...if that happens, I may just stop buying movies altogether.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know, even with decent broadband, not everyone has the ability to stream 4K all the time. And even when the connection is very fast, it's still not as good as when you watch a disc.

Totally agree. I would much rather watch on a disc, less compression the better.

Very true. I prefer disc as I can always watch them with no compression or streaming issues. I don't mind streaming some things but if I want to purchase it I get the disc. Only way for to own it.

Dude that rug is sooo bad ass I need one!

Yeah tv is indeed great.......but for the price.

:chase

I would share with you my 11p WB and color settings but honestly it would be pointless because I have multiple lol

Screw it try this on for size anyways see if you like the results. If not just hit reset. :rock

View attachment 444743

Okay I matched those settings last night and am loving the look. :rock

It seems that whenever I change the "Picture Mode" in the app from Low Power to Movie it seems to always revert back to Low Power when I close and open the app again though. Is there something else I should be doing to save it?

Also I assume you have the HDR set to "Dark HDR?"

And is your color temperate "Normal" or do you have it "Warm" or something else? I saw a calibration site that looked like it pretty much had your same settings but it recommended having the color set to Warm so that's what I did. Lots of questions, lol.

My app won’t change out of “DV Normal” for streaming so you’re not alone. :lol

It’s ok I work around it because streaming is not as important for me as discs are.

I do use Dark HDR and build up from there you guessed right lol

Regarding Color Temp I enjoy both Warm and Normal.

Warm is a setting that automatically makes everything look good where as Normal you have to work at fine tuning until you find a pleasant palette.

Now for my 1080p settings I use “Movie” mode but just for 1080p.

Last edited:
For some reason, the new Cap America steelbook 4k is store pick-up only. Curious if anyone would mind picking up a copy for me as I really want this one, but don’t want to pay stupid eBay prices. Let me know via PM if you can, thanks.

For some reason, the new Cap America steelbook 4k is store pick-up only. Curious if anyone would mind picking up a copy for me as I really want this one, but don’t want to pay stupid eBay prices. Let me know via PM if you can, thanks.
Sold out. Hope you got somebody to get one for you.

Back