The Dark Knight Rises *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he meant the other kind of detective work, like reading faces, interpreting personal histories, and deducing identities.

Oh wait, no, that's the convoluted exposition method. Not real detective work.

Hmm...
picture.php

I think the conclusion we're inexorably working towards is that you're not a real detective unless you have purple gloves.

kane.jpg

Serious question... Does the Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Nolan movies ever really come across as the smartest character in the story, or even close?

I say no. That doesn't necessarily make it wrong. It's just a very different Batman than many of us are used to.

In fact, only the animated Batman really captures this uber intelligence... always the smartest one in the room, and always one with a plan (and redundancy plans). The live action films never display this. None of them. I really think we need this in the next film incarnation. Hell, it's one of the main things that sets him apart from other superheroes.

Are we talking trippy hallucinogens or something like hydrofluoric acid?

I sense a trap.

Oh and Kim Basinger actually figured out Keaton Batman's identity on her own. Much smarter than this interpretation's Commissioner Gordon.

I thought it was pretty obvious he didn't care to find out who Batman was, because he trusted him as an ally. That seems to fit Gordon's character, he views people as good guys and bad guys. Batman is paranoid and sees the potential for darkness in everyone, himself included.

I think you guys are kinda harsh. Not the strongest movie of the trilogy, but not terrible. There was plenty of stuff to like. I saw three main problems (okay, maybe four):

1) It was overly long.
2) When Talia was revealed, she did not have nearly enough screen time as a villain to make us care about her - she was the true big bad wolf, here.
3) After all the build-up, Bane's defeat was anti-climactic. Great line for Selina, but still.

4) This is my personal beef - this interpretation of Batman's universe simply didn't leave enough room for the rest of Batman's 'history' to play out. He went into hiding immediately after Dent died. I know Nolan wanted consequences for Batman's/Gordon's decision to cover up the truth, but perhaps the back story for this film could have included a career of fighting crime while simultaneously being hunted by the police, until it got to be too much and Batman hung up the cowl somewhere along the way. That would have been more satisfying and would have married up better with the end of TDK.

Last edited:
Yes. 100%. Never chuckled or rolled my eyes once. Never was distracted by any of the things you are picking at. At all.

The movie is moving. Bruce Wayne and Batman are believable.

You can't comprehend that, and I can't comprehend how you can't love this movie. End of.

I have to agree. In spite of the flaws I listed, I thought this was a great final bookend to this trilogy. The poeple who don't like it went into this not wanting to like it. It's fairly obvious from the tone of the posts. Funny, because a lot of the time i agree with what these folks have to say, but there's something about Nolan that just makes rational discussion irrelevant. I think it's because folks took a stand pretty early on and they don't want to seem like they are "waffling" by admitting there might be stuff to like here? :huh

I really think we need this in the next film incarnation. Hell, it's one of the main things that sets him apart from other superheroes.

Yup. Especially since he will soon be part of a shared filmverse interacting with other superheroes.

Serious question... Does the Bruce Wayne/Batman in the Nolan movies ever really come across as the smartest character in the story, or even close?

Not at all. The Marvel films really did do a good job of setting Tony Stark up as just that (though Banner gave him a run for his money.) Not so much with respect to WB's take on Bruce Wayne.

It'd be interesting to see that take on the character, especially since it surprisingly hasn't been exploited on film yet.

I think you guys are kinda harsh. Not the strongest movie of the trilogy, but not terrible. There was plenty of stuff to like. I saw three main problems (okay, maybe four):

1) It was overly long.
2) When Talia was revealed, she did not have nearly enough screen time as a villain to make us care about her - she was the true bid bad wolf, here.
3) After all the build-up, Bane's defeat was anti-climactic. Great line for Selina, but still.
4) This is my personal beef - this interpretation of Batman's universe simply didn't leave enough room for the rest of Batman's 'history' to play out. He went into hiding immediately after Dent died. I know Nolan wanted consequences for Batman's/Gordon's decision to cover up the truth, but perhaps the back story for this film could have included a career of fighting crime while simultaneously being hunted by the police, until it got to be too much and Batman hung up the cowl somewhere along the way. That would have been more satisfying and would have married up better with the end of TDK.

I too, did not like Bane's death. Probably my biggest gripe about this film. I felt somewhat cheated Bats didn't have his full revenge. :mad:

I say no. That doesn't necessarily make it wrong. It's just a very different Batman than many of us are used to.

In fact, only the animated Batman really captures this uber intelligence... always the smartest one in the room, and always one with a plan (and redundancy plans). The live action films never display this. None of them. I really think we need this in the next film incarnation. Hell, it's one of the main things that sets him apart from other superheroes.

Although I don't think Nolan's Batman is a dummy, I pretty much agree with this post.

I too, did not like Bane's death. Probably my biggest gripe about this film. I felt somewhat cheated Bats didn't have his full revenge. :mad:

Well, it's not as if Bat's was going to break his one rule for Bane. :dunno

But he did for others?

Chris Nolan and Johnathan Nolan even said, "in the three films, Batman has broken his one rule".

Nolan Batman knew how to fight and spend money. That was about it. Fox is the smartest man.

'splain .

Jonathan Nolan: "He has this one rule, as the Joker says in the Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it."

Christopher Nolan: "He breaks it in two."

Jonathan Nolan: "In the first two."

David S. Goyer: Well, in the first, it's a kind of a yes and no. Refering to Ra's Al Ghul, when Batman says, 'I won't kill you but I don't have to save you.'

Christopher Nolan: Yeah, I guess he gets by on a technicality with that one.

Jonathan Nolan: He does, but I remember calling you up at one point, I think you'd already shot the scene, and I said, 'You know what I'm not sure, I'm not so sure about that one, seems wrong.' (That and the death of League of Shadows members). What I loved about that, in the fullness of three films, is that it looks like there's an evolution, as you were saying.

Christopher Nolan: Yeah, but I didn't know Batman didn't kill people when I signed on for the project. It was David Goyer who broke that news later on. And I was like, 'How do you make that work?' I said to the MPAA on the Dark Knight: 'Do you have any idea how hard it is to try and make a contemporary action film where the protagonist doesn't use guns? Doesn't kill etc.'

Also there's the two instances where he kills that garbage truck driver with a head on collision and of course, Harvey Dent by bucking him over the ledge to save Gordon's son. I assume that's who they mean, even though they don't go into detail about who he offs in TDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back