The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Nolan''s Batman movies are hands down the most serious Superhero movies ever made, no silliness allowed:

[ame]https://youtu.be/pXdJp4eSpBI[/ame]

Nolan''s Batman movies are hands down the most serious Superhero movies ever made, no silliness allowed:

https://youtu.be/pXdJp4eSpBI

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

I bet they feel stilted and somewhat silly in 7 years. Not sure the 'great performances' will hold true in time -- except for Ledger and Wilkinson.

Our perception of what's "edgy" changes constantly. The Burton films were considered 'dark' and 'edgy' at one time. Can you believe it?

I still think Burtons Bat films are dark and edgy. :dunno

I still think Burtons Bat films are dark and edgy. :dunno

But when the first one came out it was very dark, or so it seemed relative to what else was out there and what we had all been seeing in the year leading up to it: things like Roger Rabbit, Die Hard and Last Crusade.

Now I don't think Batman 89 seems dark. It seems very child-like to me, like a Grimm fairy tale; ghoulish at times, Gothic, yes, but not dark. Batman Returns is darker. Still silly most of the time.

But when the first one came out it was very dark, or so it seemed relative to what else was out there and what we had all been seeing in the year leading up to it: things like Roger Rabbit, Die Hard and Last Crusade.

Now I don't think Batman 89 seems dark. It seems very child-like to me, like a Grimm fairy tale; ghoulish at times, Gothic, yes, but not dark. Batman Returns is darker. Still silly most of the time.

I think the '89 Batman was the quintessential comic book movie for it's time. The younger generation can point and laugh all they want, but honestly, to really understand the movie, you had to be there opening night, after a year of hype, experience it first hand to really appreciate it for what it was.

Returns just seemed like Burton had a bleeding hardon for someone and it really came across with all the unnecessary sexual innuendos which got in the way of what could've been a good story. It almost had a gross out factor like seeing two people frenching the hell out of each other right in front of you. :lol

to really understand the movie, you had to be there opening night, after a year of hype, experience it first hand to really appreciate it for what it was.

True dat. The year leading up to the movie, with all the bat hats, and t-shirts, that Christmas trailer... all of it was more fun than the 2 hour movie.

Yes, that's right, I said 2 hour movie. Movie's used to be 2 hours, can you imagine? :D

But it was the quintessential comic movie...and it literally changed all comics from that point forward. You can point to Dark Knight: Year One all you want but "dark" didn't really explode until Burton's Batman.

True dat. The year leading up to the movie, with all the bat hats, and t-shirts, that Christmas trailer... all of it was more fun than the 2 hour movie.

Yes, that's right, I said 2 hour movie. Movie's used to be 2 hours, can you imagine? :D

But it was the quintessential comic movie...and it literally changed all comics from that point forward. You can point to Dark Knight: Year One all you want but "dark" didn't really explode until Burton's Batman.

Hell, this is gonna cause a bunch of self-weggies, but you can also point to Batman Begins and even The Dark Knight and see the influences Burton's film had on them. :lol

Hell, this is gonna cause a bunch of self-weggies, but you can also point to Batman Begins and even The Dark Knight and see the influences Burton's film had on them. :lol

There really are similarities that some choose to ignore or acknowledge. :lol

Admit it Nolan. :lol

Both 89 and TDK had the Joker as the villains, HA, there, I got you Mr. Nolan, take that you filthy plagiarist! :lol

Last edited:

Yeah, what the heck was that wacky silly chant, was that the fan recordings they collected, I was expecting Mothra to attack.

I read somewhere it's people screaming 'Bane, matarlo!' (Bane, kill!) in Spanish.

Either way, can't wait for the film and for HT's line.

One critic said that Burton "makes nightmares taste like candy." To me that perfectly describes his films, including his Batman films. More so with Returns, but I would describe them both as "dark and whimsical." I think they've always been both of those things, and were intended to be so.

That IS definitely Burton, although its easier to label him in hindsight. When Batman first hit, we only had Pee Wee and Beetlegeuse to gauge him -- so he seemed dark and twisted, yet still safe. He was young. Then Scissorhands came along -- probably the most 'Burton' Burton film -- and his identity was known.

All I remember was doing lots of these :yess: :clap :yess: while watching 89 Batman in 89 to doing lots of these :horror in the theater watching Batman Returns.

Returns was crap.

But Batman was awesome. The hype for that movie is unequalled and it mostly delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back